The "new" iPad Announcement / Discussion Thread

i just placed my order. got through to someone at apple who suggested i call back in 2 hours. but i was still trying to get through online which i did. i'm in shock!!!!!!!

You all should try Best Buy Apple centers as opposed to the Apple stores. There are many more of them and they often don't have lines on days like today. The other advantage is you can rack up Best Buy Rerwards and use them to buy a DVD or some accessories. Buying at Best Buy is one way to get a little discount on Apple stuff you don't normally get at the store.

My iPad 2 is doing fine, so there is no reason to spend $600 on a new iPad that isn't even quad-core.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

I think for the things that matter with quad core in this setting, IT is quad-core; but it is pretty clear the reason for the iPad 3 (or excuse me, new ahem... iPad) is the resolution of the screen. I am pretty sure that when I see it, I'll be drooling.

Ordered 2, one to keep and one to flip on Craigslist :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

rockymtnhigh said:
I think for the things that matter with quad core in this setting, IT is quad-core; but it is pretty clear the reason for the iPad 3 (or excuse me, new ahem... iPad) is the resolution of the screen. I am pretty sure that when I see it, I'll be drooling.

That is what I'm looking forward to seeing. I should have sold my 2 before the announcement.... Oh well...

Smith said:
means the device has no GPS receiver (and antenna),your location is calculated by triangular method by software, it based on data/timing from nearest cell towers. Hope it's clear now.

So the new iPad doesn't have GPS??! That would be a step backward!
iPad 2 (3G) does have GPS. No cell triangulation needed.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

So the new iPad doesn't have GPS??! That would be a step backward!
iPad 2 (3G) does have GPS. No triangulation!

The specs on Apple's site say the 4G/LTE iPads have GPS, the Wi-Fi ones do not. Just like the iPad 2 models.

That is what I'm looking forward to seeing. I should have sold my 2 before the announcement.... Oh well...

I'm going to still try to sell mine. Sweeten the deal with Apple Care and a smart cover. :) Plus I have a 64GB model that won't be available on the iPad 2 any more.

rockymtnhigh said:
The specs on Apple's site say the 4G/LTE iPads have GPS, the Wi-Fi ones do not. Just like the iPad 2 models.

That's what I thought. I was surprised when Smith, P. stated the opposite.

Anybody think they'll later release a complete name for this iPad?

I think it will just be iPad - and as the phase out the iPad 2 (they already phased out iPad 1) there will just be the iPad, and like with the iPod, it will have different generations, i.e., 4th gen, 3rd gen.

Enjoy fellas, for those who were able to get one. I just got an iPad 2 in December don't think the wife would be happy with me wanting the new iPad. Plus the 2 seems to be fine for me

Scott Greczkowski said:
The WIFI only version will do GPS but only based off of WIFI. Dont expect to go driving and have GPS with it. :)

You mean figuring out your location based on your IP address? I wouldn't call that GPS! :)

The big feature I want is LTE... and I want it to be able to use the LTE to tether to other devices.

We have been having a lot of internet issues at home lately and being able to tether to my iPhone has been a blessing, but too slow... LTE would fix that. :)

I would be deeply concerened about hitting those caps if I tethered at home. Which service and plan will you be on? I believe tethering will work.

You mean figuring out your location based on your IP address? I wouldn't call that GPS! :)

No, I believe he means triangulation and timing from the cell towers. I forget the accuracy, but it was considered barely "good enough" for cell phones for emergency services to locate you. Cheaper than real GPS. But I suspect that cost difference is now about to be of little concern.

Just finished watching the presentation.
I like the LTE and the hotspot feature, but I am not sure if I really need those on the iPad. I would much rather have them on the iPhone. Hope iPhone 5 will have that. I like the improved camera as the one on the iPad 2 sucks. But how often would I really use it? Probably almost never. So, pretty much the only feature I am looking forward to is the retina display.

The iPhoto app looks pretty cool!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)