The "new" iPad Announcement / Discussion Thread

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
A day a lot of people have been waiting for, this morning Apple announces the newest iPad - most likely to be called the iPad HD as opposed to the iPad 3 (we'll see what actually happens). Rather than splitting the discussion among the various iPad threads, we'll use this one for the discussion of the announcement.

I kind of hope they do call it iPad HD, as it would suggest there will be two sets of iPads for sale, the iPad 2 and the iPad HD. We'll see what happens. And if it is the iPad 3, we'll just change the thread title. :)

Discuss.

I have mixed feelings - I am excited about it, but know I can't buy this latest and greatest toy (darn kid needed braces, I think crooked teeth and an over-bite would have been perfectly fine ;) ). :D :D

(But now I will have something to save for. :)

I am interested in what it will actually be, but unless there is a HUGE unexpected addition that has not been rumored, for me, right now, I can still do everything that I want to do on a tablet with our original iPad.

Most likely an upgrade for me will be the NEXT version.

I am interested in what it will actually be, but unless there is a HUGE unexpected addition that has not been rumored, for me, right now, I can still do everything that I want to do on a tablet with our original iPad.

Most likely an upgrade for me will be the NEXT version.

The only thing I am interested in is the retina display - given how much reading I do on the iPad, the idea of double the resolution is very appealing. The 2 is already very fast and has no lag; and the camera does not do anything for me.

Yeah, trying to just convince myself that it does not matter that I will be a generation behind :D Dang kid and his braces. :)

I am looking at the retina display (my wife is a photographer and this would be amazing for her to show off pictures to clients I think) also the rumor of tactile feedback screen is very interesting..I will try and be a day one purchase.

edit: by the way for the first time in my life I have waited long enough to actually be eligible for a phone upgrade so ipad 3 and iphone 5 for me this year....I guess patience does pay off :)

The big feature I want is LTE... and I want it to be able to use the LTE to tether to other devices.

We have been having a lot of internet issues at home lately and being able to tether to my iPhone has been a blessing, but too slow... LTE would fix that. :)

Another rumor out there is that Apple will also offer an 8GB iPad 2 to directly complete with Amazon. This is what I'm looking forward to since our family is on a tight budget.

Another rumor out there is that Apple will also offer an 8GB iPad 2 to directly complete with Amazon. This is what I'm looking forward to since our family is on a tight budget.

8GB iPad is simply too small. I have at leas 8 GB of apps. Price will drop on the 16GB model most likely, making it a much better option.

If I had an iPad2 I would not replace it with this. But since I have an iPad1 I may just have to upgrade to the iPad HD. My iPad1 runs very slow now and I have to navigate some of the APPs slowly or it will close the APP, mainly QuickOffice Pro and Pages. It simply does not have enough processing power. If I scroll to quickly through some of the word processing documents the APPs simply crashes and it goes back to the home screen.

I may also get the 3G version even though I will not sign up for 3G service. This way I will be able to run several of my GPS APPs.

Maybe they should call it the rPad, for retina display and to torque off a certain Chinese company.

Naw.

But I'll be buying it, as a combined birthday/anniversary present for SHMBO. Hopefully it will dim her memory of an EHD I trashed. Hope that wasn't the one we had all the old DH episodes on. I may have to move out.

Naw.

;)

Wasnt there suppose to be an Ipad 7" model aswell???

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I'm surprised Scott hasn't posted a front page announcement about Apple's unveiling today.

I am at the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 virtual launch event most of the day today, but will keep an eye on the IPad launch too. ;)

New Rumor for the new iPad 3/HD: Apple’s iPad HD may feature unbelievable new touchscreen tech

Read more: Apple

I am at the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 virtual launch event most of the day today, but will keep an eye on the IPad launch too. ;)

As will a large number of people there, I'm sure. Must irritate MS. :p

Only about 40 minutes to go, until I find out just how expensive my wife's present is going to be. :eek:

8GB iPad is simply too small. I have at leas 8 GB of apps. Price will drop on the 16GB model most likely, making it a much better option.

Not necessarily too small, imo. I have an original 32Gb iPad and don't have 8GB of stuff on it these days. I have plenty of apps and books, as well as some data from the Numbers app and everything would fit just fine for me.

I would think that 8Gb would be OK for those that don't store a lot of video/photos on the iPad and have a reasonable number of apps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)