The NEW iPhone 4S Discussion

stimpson said:
Does that mean I can select the songs at random, and not my complete library?

Yes, you click on the iCloud icon to the right of the song and it will download. If you just click on the song title, it will stream. Pretty slick.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Apple announces over 1,000,000 pre-orders of the iPhone 4S in the first 24 hours, breaking the previous record of 600,000 for the iPhone 4. The story suggests this does not count pe-orders at AT&T or Verizon.

See: Apple Announces Over One Million iPhone 4S Pre-Orders in First 24 Hours - Mac Rumors

Definitely not the epic fail of a new device that some were predicting because it was not an iPhone "5" or bigger or LTE.

True! And when I read that it told me that all these stories about the economy being so bad are also blown out of proportion. While it doesn't meet my personal requirements for a mobile device, The sales numbers mean that it does for a large chunk of the population. I also saw that Sprint announced it has sold out of it's iphone 4S allotment. Obviously, the biggest problem Apple has always had with these devices is being able to manufacture enough to meet the demand.

Yes.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys
IOW, I will have to pay if I want any of my music stored on iCloud since all of my music has been installed via CD? I would also be willing to bet that they will not be able to match a lot of it.

Also, some of what they can match will not be matched properly as songs on iTunes cannot be combined, unlike that from a CD. For example the song, "Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon" on Chicago's second album is actually a compilation of parts consisting of 13 continuous songs (7 on the radio version). iTunes treats these as separate songs instead of one compilation. If you have your idevices or iTunes set to shuffle songs, then you will hear parts instead of the whole song. The same is true for much of what is on many Pink Floyd albums, The Who's Tommy, and many classical compositions.

This is just something to be aware of for those planning on using this service. Any music you edit on your part will not have the same editing on iCloud, even if the editing makes the music as it was intended to be

Last edited:
IOW, I will have to pay if I want any of my music stored on iCloud since all of my music has been installed via CD? I would also be willing to bet that they will not be able to match a lot of it.

Also, some of what they can match will not be matched properly as songs on iTunes cannot be combined, unlike that from a CD. For example the song, "Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon" on Chicago's second album is actually a compilation of parts consisting of 13 continuous songs (7 on the radio version). iTunes treats these as separate songs instead of one compilation. If you have your idevices or iTunes set to shuffle songs, then you will hear parts instead of the whole song. The same is true for much of what is on many Pink Floyd albums, The Who's Tommy, and many classical compositions.

This is just something to be aware of for those planning on using this service. Any music you edit on your part will not have the same editing on iCloud, even if the editing makes the music as it was intended to be

Nothing prevents you from downloading your own music to your iOS device.

For the stuff they can't match then those songs will be uploaded to them. For $25 a year to have access to your music ANYWHERE is well worth it to me. And to possibly get BETTER QUALLITY versions of my music is like a big bonus to me. :)

As each day passes I'm looking forward more and more to getting my new phone. I sure wish Verizon would give us an update on our preorder!!

Scott Greczkowski said:
For the stuff they can't match then those songs will be uploaded to them. For $25 a year to have access to your music ANYWHERE is well worth it to me. And to possibly get BETTER QUALLITY versions of my music is like a big bonus to me. :)
Good to know. Thanks. This is true even for those bands iTunes does not carry?

But, you will still not get songs combined properly, like I stated. They will be kept as separate songs. Again, it is just something to be aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
rockymtnhigh said:
Nothing prevents you from downloading your own music to your iOS device.

I don't recall stating otherwise. They are currently on my devices now. I was simply pointing out the limits of iCloud. Scott did clear one issue though, about songs not being available.

I don't recall stating otherwise. They are currently on my devices now. I was simply pointing out the limits of iCloud. Scott did clear one issue though, about songs not being available.

Wasn't fighting, just responding. Not sure for the masses that editing of music is going to be much of an issue. I just can't wait to have this on my phone.

I was just talking to someone about the iCloud and they were under the impression that a separate account would be needed for every phone(user) on your plan. Right now I have five phones on my plan and if I purchase music or applications I can sync those manually to any device and that part would stay the same, but with iCloud I would need five separate accounts. I wouldn't have to purchase five plans, only the phones that wanted to use the service.

Here's the way I believe it'll work. There's different places for account credentials. One for iTunes, email, etc.. There's also a place to enter your iCloud credentials. Each user/phone will have unique login. I was told you'll be able to use the same itunes account on multiple phones. ( Not sure if there's a limit )

"Siri" Seems like an upgraded version of the Mytouch Genius button. As instead of taking you to a search index it takes you to the result. I did all the same tests in the video and came up with very similar results. I would like for the next mytouch update to include the options of not having to specificy the command.

For instance with Siri you just say "how far is the moon" but with the MyTouch I have to say "Search the web: How far is the moon" and it brings me the same results.

Siri? Nice. Especially if we can get British accents speaking to us. But I remember too many demos of voice to typing that looked great in demo, worked not well in reality. I won't be upgrading this time around. Still quite happy with my 3GS.

And I hope I can tap my earbud instead of the phone itself. Asking for weather or directions should not require I look at, or touch, the phone itself.

AT&T Wages Quiet War on Grandfathered Unlimited Users

New Cell Phone Tower but Who's Antenna?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)