The NHL Network Oct 1st

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bosco10021

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
At the beach
I found this today on the internet. I hope that its going to launch on Directv then.

The NHL Network will launch Oct 1st in the US per the Toronto Globe and Mail.

"The NHL Network will launch in the United States beginning Monday, Oct. 1. The channel, which started in Canada the fall of 2001, is based in Toronto and jointly owned by the league, TSN and Insight Sports in Toronto."

globeandmail.com: Hockey Night staying at home

I hope we get the nhl network, as anyone heard any rumors if it will be on Directv

i thought i saw the icon when directv first posted the forthcoming hd channels. but i haven't seen or hear anything officially.

For a while test channel 9300 was branded with the NHL logo like it was supposed to be the NHL network. However, it showed NFL Network content. I took this as a sign that D* would eventually carry the NHL Network in HD.

I hope they carry it in hd, hopefully on next wave of rollouts

NHL in hd would rule. I have such a hard time watching a hockey game that isn't in HD but man they are great in HD!

This will probably launch with Wednesday when the games begin.

I found this today...looks like the NHL Network is still a go. Let's hope this is correct.

NEW YORK -- The National Hockey League announced the renewal of its Center Ice premium package with cable and satellite operators as the NHL neared a decision later this week to launch an NHL channel.

The deals for Center Ice are with DirecTV, Dish Network and iN Demand, the buying partner for big MSOs Comcast, Cox and Time Warner. The NHL declined comment Tuesday, but a Sports Business Journal report this week suggested that the league was nearing agreement with cable and satellite operators for a spot on a sports tier for the channel. The network would launch this week, according to Sports Business Journal. Sources said an announcement on the channel would be made this week.

It could be good news for the league, which is struggling to get on its feet after a yearlong lockout that spiked the 2004-05 season and the passing of cable rights from ESPN and ABC to Versus and NBC. DirecTV and the cable companies have had Center Ice since 1999, Dish since 2002.

The cable channel originally was supposed to be on the air long before this, but had been delayed with the lockout and the distribution quest.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...297ce1977d19d5

How long is the VS contract for ?
Is this the last year?

Jimbo

Unfortunately the NHL extended the Versus contract until 2011. The NBC contract ends in 2009 however NBC has an option for the 2008-09 season. Meaning that NBC can opt out after this season. Reports this summer was that the NHL had discussions with ESPN. Speculation was that the NBC games would possibly move to ESPN but I wouldn't count on it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)