The NL West

Hitter friendly? You sure are being kind to the Yanks and their screwed up stadium. I heard someone got a broken bat homerun the other day. its just ridiculous.
Jack Howell of the Angels did the same thing in the old Yankee stadium and this was during a time when bats did not break as easily and hitters did not hit as many

Jack Howell of the Angels did the same thing in the old Yankee stadium and this was during a time when bats did not break as easily and hitters did not hit as many
Hasn't that stadium already set a record for HR's in its first days? I'm just saying hitter friendly is an understatement.

Padres spotted the D-Backs 6 runs last night, much like the day before, but this time they lost 6-5.

Looks like two of the starters are just horrible, but the bullpen is REALLY good!.

Since we're around the first quarter of the season, I'm thinking at some of the biggest stories going on in all of baseball.

What are some of the early-season things that have occured that caught your eye?

I'll start with mine- feel free to add your own:

The new Yankee Stadium and its hitter-friendly dimensions- I think some people could look like Josh Hamilton in last year's Home Run Derby if they took BP there.

This is relevant to the NL West how???

Can't you just start another one of your own thousand threads as opposed to hijacking someone elses??

Looks like the Dodgers might be running away with the division. Give the Padres credit. They've lost 3 straight and are 25-28 but they could've been a lot worse. I would like to know the records of the D-Backs and the Rockies since they have fired there respective managers.

How about those Rockies? 11-3 since micro-maanger Jim Tracy took over. Now on an 8-0 winning streak. And boy, did Jim ever micro-manage yesterday! But he got the "W" that's all that matters.

I havent followed closely enough but the Rockies have done excellent with Jim Tracy as the manager. I dont think they have enough to take over the Dodgers in the NL West.

Oh, that silly Manny!

From FOX:

Normally when big-league players rehab in the minors, the big leaguers treat the minor league players to a postgame treat. Lefty Will Ohman, for example, had a meal catered by Outback Steakhouse after he rehabbed at the Dodgers' Triple-A Albuquerque affiliate, and right-hander Claudio Vargas had P.F. Chang's cater a meal. Manny Ramirez? He didn't even stay around for the end of his first two games, and after each of the three games Ramirez played in the minor leagues, players had their regular postgame pizza. ...

Cheap bastard! :(

BUMP! I thought this one below would take off with responses. :confused:
Why? What else would anyone expect from Manny? Manny has always been about Manny and nobody else. Doesn't surprise me in the least.

Starting Friday I have to go back to rooting for someone I do not like, yet again! :rant:

Even though its the All Star break, I dont think anyone will catch the Dodgers. The Giants have good pitching and will stay around but the Dodgers have a great lineup and are the class of the National League.

Even though its the All Star break, I dont think anyone will catch the Dodgers. The Giants have good pitching and will stay around but the Dodgers have a great lineup and are the class of the National League.

I agree. The Giants have a GREAT pitching staff, but they don't have the complete team the Dodgers have.

However, I do believe the Giants will get the wildcard

I agree. The Giants have a GREAT pitching staff, but they don't have the complete team the Dodgers have.

However, I do believe the Giants will get the wildcard

Having being written off as a loss by many even before the season started, the SF Giants have definitely exceeded expectations- including mine. The resurgence of Sandoval and Rowand's improved performance are big positives among others. Defense at times is just short of spectacular. The rotation as you indicated is very solid, with the exception of Zito, who is truly an enigma since he came to SF. Hard to say which Zito is gonna show up in a game. The bull pen is relatively sound. There's a lot of good things that can be said about this team this season, but I'm not gonna go out on a limb and predict that they are playoff bound. Well, not yet. Although hitting has improved considerably compared to earlier in the season, the Giants are still in dire need of one more good bat. Not necessarily a Ramirez or a Pujols but somebody who can hit consistently in the clutch which I think is one of their weaknesses. Freddie Sanchez's name has been tossed around as a probable trade acquisition but it remains to be seen if that will materialize. Hopefully, Jonathan Sanchez's no hitter will expedite the negotiations between SF and Pittsburgh. Until such a trade is made, I will not set my hopes so high.

But then again, it's baseball. Anything can happen!

Anybody watched the SF-Pittsburg series? Wheeew! The Giants won today, 3-4, the last game of a 3 game series to salvage it somewhat. It was 1-0, Pittsburg the first 5 innings, mirroring the two previous games. The first game, Zito gave up a one run homerun, and that was all he gave up, SF lost 1-2 (14 innings). The second game, Lincecum gave up a one run home run as well. They lost 0-2. Today, Cain gave up a one run homerun, and I thought *dejavu*? all over again. Fortunately for SF, the bats began singing in the 6th and they mustered 4 runs in that inning. In the first two games, they had several opportunities to win but they couldn't hit a lick when there were men in scoring positions. On the upside, the pitching staff pitched well.

The first two games of this series illustrated the need for another good hitter who can hit when the going gets tough and I think a hitter like Freddy Sanchez can fulfill that need as I stated in my previous post.....that is if the Giants are really intent in pursuing the wild card slot. It might or might not work, but in the least, they have shown the fans and the players the desire to go to the next level.

That is my .02 cents. What do you think?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts