The Official 4DTV Maps Experimentation Thread

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I guess I'm missing something. We're not talking hacking here, just mapping. Sure, there's some FP stuff that's not mapped. But as long as we're discussing mapping techniques from a "how to" standpoint, I don't see that causing any reaction from providers.

There's likely to be limited interest in the first place. The most likely interest will probably just be some of us who want to still have a full set of tiles for tuning DVB. If it makes you feel better, we could keep DCII finds in wut. But any mapping methods could (and IMO, should) be discussed in the open.

If someone ends up finding a way to add satellites (generic or otherwise), along with some channels to a box that has converted to the W5 thing... that would be pretty useful.

Cheers

I have a diagram for building a bdm that I was going to try with my 920 with a dead battery. Someone with more electrical background may want to try it. I'll post it if i'm not breaking any rules. I've tried to get into the wut forum but never have been approved.

Oh MY GOD I"m so happy to see this thread here but lets keep the topic not start a discusion of who started first and things like that like little kids.I have a G5 mac now but I can run windows xp using virtual pc.Can I download and use 4 play?Will it work?If not well no problem.A friend of mine in the Netherlands is sending me a COMPAQ ARMADA laptop with WINDOWS 95 Pre installed.It has a 233mhz Pentium 1 mmx cpu I looked really hard for something like that because I have a collection of games build for this system that don't run on windows XP anymore.So that will be our GAMING RIG!Because right now my kids use my mac too much sometimes I can't even get on.But how do I run 4 play on that.I guess I'll need a serial connector and then somehow make my own cable to hook i up to the receiver.I hope to find the answer soon because I want to back up the current map before DEc 31st and then after hat I'll only need to change it if the channels change parameters

Hello all!

First post and excited to read this thread.

Has there been any progress? Don't know if I can help, but would like too if I just knew what has been done so far.

Where is this WUT 4DTV at? I'm new here, but been around since late 2009.

Stoker

Did this thread die? Nothing new posted in the last six days.

Has there been any progress or is this idea hopeless?

Been holding my breath folks and turning blue. Any good news?

This thread seems dead. No new info.....

Guess I was left out in the cold while everyone else found their way to the "WUT" thread, site, secret site.

Could someone direct me to the "What's up There" "WUT" location.

I now have four motorola 4DTV's and don't want to see them become movers. I would be interested in trying to help or at least testing some of the ideas being offered up.

Here's one to start with.

Attachments

• bdm_pd.gif
    bdm_pd.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 336
Is there a PDF file or something like that for this image? Does that mean that 4play can connect and display data, or has something new been developed?

Have you built this or made the mod yourself? If so, how did it turn out?

We need to know how the stream works with 922's if we are to ever develop a means to Map our receivers.

Thank you for your post and image.

Hmm, even if I could blow $199 on the device, my modern computers do not have parallel ports. My 2003 server is the only computer with a parallel port and I don't exactly want to use it for this.

Really need a USB solution. Would the $199 device work plugged into a USB to Parallel converter?

A much belated thanks for posting the diagram. I've been on the road far too much lately and have fallen behind on the fun projects. I will see what I can do with it and if I make progress I will report it back here. Thanks again for posting....

Reloading maps method

All one has to do is record 30 mins of the raw L-band input on a Digital Recording Oscilloscope that has a sufficient data rate and frequency capability.

We used the cable split from the main line that normally runs my rack of DVB/*Choice/SA equipment. It is DC blocked.
A EE friend of mine has already done this on his $13,000 Tektronix.
I had a spare 922 and we did a master reset on it and played back the 'Stream', and it restored the digital maps. They were from around June 2010 [that's when we experimented - you know when the voices said the 'Sky was Falling]. We did our experiment on G1-3 and toward the end of this 30 min record time I also got an online authorization hit from one of the providers. The recorded 'hit' did authorize the unit, but I doubt it will work in a different month, and/or when the 4096 emm is gone - especially if you have changed emm providers. I'm gonna try and p/u another low cost 922 soon and change the emm to Comcast on the 5th. Then try a MR on that one. May need a Auth. reset [6,7,7,8,0] to get the recorded maps to load. And then again the recorded maps may have calendar data encoded in them and it may not work at later date. We recorded and experimented [MR] all on the same day in June 2010. Keep in mind you need a robust pc of equipment to accurately record a raw input. It contains ALL the analog and digital data from 12 [or more] transponders. I'm pretty confident head-ends probably can do this. It takes less than 30 mins to load the maps, but you have to allow time to [possibly] manually tune a digital signal and achieve a lock, before it starts loading the maps. An hour w/b better, but as we recorded, we ran out of available memory.

What is really needed is someone with a computer based Oscilloscope [or a regular one with a way to export the file] so a recorded file can be produced and offered to people who need it. But then they would need a way to 'play' it back in it's original signal form, from which I can determine would only be an Oscilloscope or similar pricey instrument. Our attempt to transfer the recorded raw signal to a computer was unsuccessful. The computer based digital recorder programs apparently don't possess sufficient specs to save and/or replay the data. It has to be replayed at the original carrier frequency which is somewhere between 970 and 1430Mhz for the 922 to recognize it. And his Oscilloscope is an older one that doesn't have a memory stick or USB out. And he is not real pleased about having to 'hold' my file for ......who knows years? His is normally used to analyze circuits looking for transients signals that aren't supposed to be there. So you record for 'x' period of time, mark down when the circuit fails or does something unexpected, then review the traces looking for some clue of an extraneous signal at that time and then figure how to block/prevent it. Very handy looking for intermittent issues that you know are occurring, but haven't a clue why.

I've considered renting a modern one that's appropriate for this task, but that is VERY expensive I discovered.

Given all this, the best way is to be able to set the map parameters ourselves through 4Play or similar. Maybe a mail-in service? You send your unit in need of a MR to someone and they reload the maps for a price. That way everyone doesn't need an interface board/cable.

Gotta be a way.

Last edited:
Talking about loading in data via the LNB input. Were looking for someone to help out on the 4 Play project. I have 2 guys with some excellent idea's that can work on the programming end. We need some electronic experts to help with interfacing if any one want's to get involved send me some contact info here: 4DTV Online... Contact Us

I am an electrical engineer specializing in microwave and RF. I have plenty of test equipment, including signal generators that can produce any desired waveform up to about 4 GHz. (Other generators go to 26.5 GHz, but they only can be am, pulse, and fm (or fsk) modulated. If someone has a data file and a 922 that they want me to try to load something into, let me know. I'm game. (Plus, I have a 922 that has not been used since 2004 that I am trying to get current maps into so that I can at least use it to control a dish for FTA. I may also want to convert it to the W5 package, but don't think I can since I can't get X4 at the present time, and my memory maps for W5 are clearly bad. However, if converting to W5 package would not allow me to use the 922 for controlling dish for FTA, I would not want to do that. If that was the case, I might opt for buying a 410 just for the W5 package.

I am an electrical engineer specializing in microwave and RF. I have plenty of test equipment, including signal generators that can produce any desired waveform up to about 4 GHz. (Other generators go to 26.5 GHz, but they only can be am, pulse, and fm (or fsk) modulated. If someone has a data file and a 922 that they want me to try to load something into, let me know. I'm game. (Plus, I have a 922 that has not been used since 2004 that I am trying to get current maps into so that I can at least use it to control a dish for FTA. I may also want to convert it to the W5 package, but don't think I can since I can't get X4 at the present time, and my memory maps for W5 are clearly bad. However, if converting to W5 package would not allow me to use the 922 for controlling dish for FTA, I would not want to do that. If that was the case, I might opt for buying a 410 just for the W5 package.

why cant you map x4 ?

crackt out,.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)