The Official 4DTV Maps Experimentation Thread

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It turns out my tdt is at 1920. Not sure what to do now. I at least want to use the 4dtv to drive the dish for fta receiver. At this point, there is virtually nothing out there of any value to me on 4dtv, so I guess I have nothing to loose by doing a master reset to clear the tdt and then programming in the X4 channel maps, assuming I can after a master reset. But, I don't want to loose the ability to use the 922 to steer my dish. What will happen if I do a master reset?

It turns out my tdt is at 1920. Not sure what to do now. I at least want to use the 4dtv to drive the dish for fta receiver. At this point, there is virtually nothing out there of any value to me on 4dtv, so I guess I have nothing to loose by doing a master reset to clear the tdt and then programming in the X4 channel maps, assuming I can after a master reset. But, I don't want to loose the ability to use the 922 to steer my dish. What will happen if I do a master reset?

If there is nothing of value to you on 4dtv leave the 922 as is, the X4 mapping is only for those interested in subbing to the hits feeds. The 922 will do what you want in its current state for fta searching.

Candid

I just read on the "other" forum that a member has been able to back up the maps and other data on one 922 and make a clone of that 922 to another. He used a BDM cable and software from usbjtag.com. Has anyone here heard of that?

On reading newer posts, it seems the clone was not entirely successful. But it sure sounded encouraging!

Last edited:
I just read on the "other" forum that a member has been able to back up the maps and other data on one 922 and make a clone of that 922 to another. He used a BDM cable and software from usbjtag.com. Has anyone here heard of that?
Yes, I actually did same testing back in Sept-Oct of last year and backed up files, each time I downloaded back to IRD I obtained different results. I did MR to wipe all maps, and downloaded backup files, I lost auth and sat tiles, everything went back to stock. Time did stay correct on one test however.
He stated "clone" but actually loaded partial maps into the dead IRD's. UID is same, so I would say it is not cloning.

My desire is not cloning, but a way to upload to pc, modify maps and turn off the damned ratings bug, then download back to the IRD, all without crashing it and losing all maps (which I have done - very ugly) It would also be helpful to be able to adjust date/time in the unit, but from what I have read, I don't believe it is possible without shorting a chip inside unit. If I didn't work full time, I would have time to discover a lot more than I have already, but see little value in posting just to be posting. People are working behind the scenes on this and hopefully something will come out this year.

Again, Rod Hewitt provided me with source code of 4play, if any programmers want to check it out, let me know.

Now....going by memory I think I remember....
The BDM cables that work with 4PLAY are P.E. micro
P&E Microcomputer Systems - CABLE_16/32 - CPU16/3xx BDM Interface (5V, Parallel Port) - 68HC16, CPU3xx, Interface Hardware/Cable
P&E Microcomputer Systems - CABLE_16/32LV - CPU16/3xx Low-Voltage BDM Interface (3.3V, Parallel Port) - 68HC16, CPU3xx, Interface Hardware/Cable

or Macraigor
Wiggler

Be carefull, as some cables are 3.3V and others 5V. I believe the 4DTV is a 5V box, but other models of IRD's are 3.3V (i.e. 401)

They're not giving them away are they?

...He used a BDM cable and software from usbjtag.com. Has anyone here heard of that?...

Yes, that's the one I referenced in post #3 of this thread. That one is confirmed to communicate with the 920, and it sounds like you found someone who used it on a 922. The guy I read about that was using it on the 920 was most likely using the software that comes with it. I doubt that he was using 4play.

I will say this about 4play... if it's gonna work, and be widely used... this is the adapter that it will need to support. Many of us will do the $60 thing, but I highly doubt that many would do the $200 thing. Plus, there's the USB vs LPT issue. JMHO.

Cheers

Will the USB BDM NT work with the 920 or 922? usbjtag.com says it works with the 401 and 405 but I'm not familiar with those receivers.

I just took the plunge and ordered a usbbdmnt cable. $68 with shipping. (Even though I hate using PayPal).

Cool, let us know how it works cuz that's one I can afford.

It should work with the software from usbjtag since the header pinouts are the same as the cable for the parallel cable. But, I'll have to figure out how to use the cable with 4play because the configuration file (flashpgm) specifies a parallel port (but there aren't any comments in the file on how to specify a different PC connection (i.e. serial or USB)). I don't see any other docs that have more info on that file either. It's interesting that the configuration file has lines for specifying an ethernet connection and IP address.

I just discovered another file (MacraigorConfigure) that allows you to specify a particular cable (none of them are for a USB cable) and "comport" via a GUI (none of the options are for a USB port - there are 3 parallel ports that can be specified, only). I'll have to look around some more to see if this can be changed. I guess USB cables weren't available when 4play was written. Looks like the configuration utility requires some kind of license code, also. There is an upgrade to the macraigor software (macraigor.com) but the license fee is $500. No matter, as it turns out, the macraigor software is designed to be used with their expensive interface cables.

Obviously, there's a lot of "playing" to do and a lot of spending money and time to do.

don't most usb devices end up converting or emulating com ports? I'v seen this on 2 usb programing cable I have..

one is a OBD2 car Scanner (that technology was from 96)

another one is my usb to Radio shack scanner programming cable

Both of these usb devices get assigned a com port in the device manager

Just a thought

don't most usb devices end up converting or emulating com ports? I'v seen this on 2 usb programing cable I have..

one is a OBD2 car Scanner (that technology was from 96)

another one is my usb to Radio shack scanner programming cable

Both of these usb devices get assigned a com port in the device manager

Just a thought

You need to do more than load the driver. The software that you use has to be able to be configured to access the device.

What are the options in the USBBDM's "included" software, and how does it compare to 4play?

Cheers

The software doesn't appear to be as "friendly" as 4play. There is no simple GUI where you upload the channel maps, edit and download to the box. This is more like, you take a DSR405 script and try to figure out how to modify it for 920/922 and upload the memory, try to figure out what the hell you can do with it, and possibly download it to the box. Seriously. There is presently no preconfigured scripts for 4dtv. It would be beneficial for a simple gui such as 4play to use with this hardware. BTW, when you buy usbbdm hardware you should receive the activation via email. You will also need usb cable (not included) printer type usb cable with one flat end and a square connector on the other.

The software doesn't appear to be as "friendly" as 4play. There is no simple GUI where you upload the channel maps, edit and download to the box. This is more like, you take a DSR405 script and try to figure out how to modify it for 920/922 and upload the memory, try to figure out what the hell you can do with it, and possibly download it to the box. Seriously. There is presently no preconfigured scripts for 4dtv. It would be beneficial for a simple gui such as 4play to use with this hardware. BTW, when you buy usbbdm hardware you should receive the activation via email. You will also need usb cable (not included) printer type usb cable with one flat end and a square connector on the other.

I wonder why people still use that registration nonsense. The software is useless without the hardware. Just another code that I'll have to try not to lose if I need to re-install the software.

The software doesn't appear to be as "friendly" as 4play. There is no simple GUI where you upload the channel maps, edit and download to the box. This is more like, you take a DSR405 script and try to figure out how to modify it for 920/922 and upload the memory...

Sounds like the best solution would be for the smart guys to adapt 4play to use this adapter natively. I'd love to help, but I seriously doubt that they wrote the 4play program using Extended Color Basic with a Tandy Color Computer, lol. Although, the CoCo did use a Motorola CPU. :D

I guess the real trick to developing this would be to get inside info on the DSR series. Either that, or toast a few units figuring it out.

Cheers

Can any 4dtv owners (preferably DSR-920) confirm that there is not only the NVRAM flash memory (2x 29F800B), but also volatile sram (2x KM416C254D)?

If I dont have the correct part #'s please correct me, also if anyone has a DSR-905/922 can you tell me if they use the same part #s for nvram and sram as the DSR-920 mentioned above.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts