The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

I saw your post earlier on the HBO deal and I went to my Amazon account and searched everywhere I could think of but could not find a deal? Also with HBO on Amazon is it just the HBO channel or is there more available? I assume it's just HBO and then you can search for the series/movies, etc... Need to do something before to long because the wife will NOT miss GOT last season..............

Gerry
The $10 deal expired yesterday, but I still recommend going with Amazon's own app as opposed to the HBO Now version.

As I mentioned, the HBO section of HBO on the Amazon Prime video looks exactly like the Home Page of the app, but restricted to HBO offerings.
After the rows of thumbnails for various HBO offerings divided by category, the last row is where "Live" HBO channels lives.
The row shows "live" thumbnails of what's on at that time on the 5 HBO channels and clicking on one and you are there.

Very nice, even without the $10 bone thrown at you.

Reactions: ggw2000
I saw your post earlier on the HBO deal and I went to my Amazon account and searched everywhere I could think of but could not find a deal?
BTW, the only place I saw the offer was on the Home Page of Amazon Prime off the Firestick itself. You know how they give you a "commercial" playing a trailer of the show they are spotlighting, well, when I fired up the Firestick, that was the top commercial on the page. When I had finally decide I wanted it, I went to the Amazon webpage and could not find it. For a minute I thought the offer had expired, but when I went back to the Firestick, there it was.

Reactions: pattykay
Even at the lower price point there was NO WAY I was giving up the Hopper 3 for any of those horrible cloud based DVRs. With the DirecTV NOW price increase and the preferred discounts from Dish, I’m feeling really darn good about staying loyal to Dish Network.

OK. Let me amend something I said in not one, but TWO posts on this thread.

I'd said it was at the bottom of the HBO page on the Amazon Prime app that the 5 live HBO channels were shown. Well, as embarrassing as it may seem, I never scrolled to the right. It seems there are 8 channels of HBO.

Sorry to you kids and Spanish speaking folks. :biggrin

Reactions: Foxbat and pattykay
OK. Let me amend something I said in not one, but TWO posts on this thread.

I'd said it was at the bottom of the HBO page on the Amazon Prime app that the 5 live HBO channels were shown.
When I read that, I was wondering which channels were missing.

Well, as embarrassing as it may seem, I never scrolled to the right. It seems there are 8 channels of HBO.

Sorry to you kids and Spanish speaking folks. :biggrin
Apology accepted! :) :thumbup :oldsmile2

Reactions: JSheridan
The real "Hard Core" HBO/Cinemax subscribers have already moved on. They either dropped Dish as my friend's brother did for Direct, or as I did with HBO so I subbed to it via the Roku/Fire Stick. The Firestick has the channels live or on demand. But my friend's brother got a good deal with Direct on their biggest pack and two receivers for $126 a month. But after the first year, I am sure their rates will go up a lot. He was promised a bunch of "discounts" the second year by the installer but that remains to be seen if Direct will still be offering them the second year. I believe they are on a 2 year contract so if Direct really jacks up the price the second year then they will be stuck until the 2 years run out. I will be surprised if they stay after the second year as his bill will be something like $216.

All discounts on the Tv portion go away after the first year.

It’s hard for anyone to sell Directv these days to anyone without lying that the price goes up in the second year. The second you become truthful with the customer, explain the 2 year contract with a $480 termination fee, and the fact the promotion is good for 1 year, and have to deal with 3/4 of all the potential customers not able to get decent internet or any internet at all very few will sign up.

Keep in mind that Directv has advertised a $30 price point for years.

Every year they jack rates up $3-$5, and the discount they offer to new customers goes up and up and up.

I don’t have the sales guide in front of me, but I believe choice goes up $66 or $72 in the second year.

Then you offer all 4 movie channels for free for 3 months and the rate goes up $52 after 3 months.

Granted you don’t have to keep the movie channels, but that’s a pretty hard pill to swollen when the select pack is $35/mo, then goes to $87 after 3 months of the customer keeps the movie channels.

Let’s not forget the second year when Sunday ticket renews and customers completely forgot they had it and don’t even care to watch it.

I sell Comcast and spectrum all the time and people always complain the movie channels are not free. IMHO giving the movie channels away for free is setting the customer for failure when they get sticker shock or can’t pay the bill.

Reactions: ncted and pattykay
The early termination fee is only $240 if you want to cancel after the one-year promotion is up. And DTV also sends out a $300 Visa card to some new customers , so they are still ahead on the first year rate.

DIrectTV Now's new offer is so overpriced, will they soon also raise their very inexpensive DTV satellite intro price?

Reactions: MikeD-C05
If ATT wants Dish to put HBO in the basic packages, Then Dishes 2.5 million subscribers of HBO becomes 12 million( or whatever they have now) @ how much per subscriber? HBO is $15 at standalone prices. Dish probably pays $12 per and now ATT wants $8 per for 12 million. That would be quite an increase. That is $28million vs $96million per month, if my calulation are anywhere in the ball park.

Reactions: pattykay
Then it will probably stay $15 until ATT forces HBO into that package also. :D

The problem with with Direct TV, is their pricing is way too expensive compared to Dish, or cable. Direct has always been more expensive, but in recent years, Direct has really climbed. Even their Direct Now is much more expensive than Sling. Many are looking for a cheaper alternative. Who wants to continue paying $200 a month for TV service? With cord cutting on the rise, many have chosen to cut cable & satellite and spend less. The young people like my son, could care less about a "channel lineup". They sub to Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc for their entertainment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts