The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

I just had Dish installed yesterday and all of the promotional material, channel lineup cards, etc., has HBO & Cinemax removed. I’d say this it’s gone for good or at least for the foreseeable future.
It’s been 6 months... they sort of had to pull the information from their advertising, otherwise it is false advertisement, and misleading customers. I would not read too far into that, as it comes with legal repercussions.

It’s been 6 months... they sort of had to pull the information from their advertising, otherwise it is false advertisement, and misleading customers. I would not read too far into that, as it comes with legal repercussions.
Yes, in fact Dish even does this with channels that they still carry, but may still be in negotiations with. For example, right now the Premium Showcase app makes no mention of the Starz and Encore channels. At one point or another, Dish has stopped promoting / advertising for pretty much every premium movie package, including HBO and Cinemax on at least one previous occasion, but none of those disputes actually led to the channels being removed, until this current dispute with HBO/Cinemax.

When they starting lawsuits for between dish and hbo ??that what I hear I didn’t hear from news but I hear news about that I hope fish not giving up about hbo and trying bring back hbo it’s not fair that lot of consumer is paying and it’s wrong that take way I hopeful is bring back hbo again to dish maybe hbo will accept it again who know what they doing between dish and hbo we can’t see what’s goin on I feeling like I don’t want move other providers again because lost hbo they bring back to
Dish I hope pray that hbo should listen to dish again and bring back who know again

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

When they starting lawsuits for between dish and hbo ??that what I hear I didn’t hear from news but I hear news about that I hope fish not giving up about hbo and trying bring back hbo it’s not fair that lot of consumer is paying and it’s wrong that take way I hopeful is bring back hbo again to dish maybe hbo will accept it again who know what they doing between dish and hbo we can’t see what’s goin on I feeling like I don’t want move other providers again because lost hbo they bring back to
Dish I hope pray that hbo should listen to dish again and bring back who know again

Just curious, what would be Dish’s basis for a lawsuit? We don’t like what ATT is doing, however, atleast on the outside, it is not illegal yet. The DOJ already tried the antitrust, and it failed, twice.

ATT has not refused to deal or to supply... unfortunately, they covered their ass. They did it in a way that makes it beneficial to them, however. That is specifically what the DOJ was going against, and lost. So again, Dish wouldn’t have the leg to stand on, as Richard Leon went ahead and set that precedent.

You are assuming DISH wants them back, I am not assuming that. IF HBO/at&t sign new deals with Cable companies that are more friendly then offered to DISH perhaps DISH would care about that, but even then as already pointed out, the FCC knew that was possible the Court disagreed so DISH may not have a leg to stand on as Chadt41 said.
With this the last season of Game of Thrones, I think DISH does not really care, nor do I believe HBO has as rosy a future at least not as we think of today's HBO. There is a good chance At&t has already decided not to concentrate on original programming, or at least not like we think of for HBO's original choices. That remains to be seen but some moves have been made that suggest that.
HBO is available easily, in many ways online. Only those who do not have good enough internet or maybe capped internet can't get it. Even those who don't normally stream can find a way to if they really want HBO. If they don't bother than they really did not care all that much anyway. Absence does not make the heart fonder.
In addition, looking at their premium movie lineup it's good even without HBO. In fact if DISH is working with Showtime to offer lowered cost deals as they have been, and now perhaps Starz/Encore is that may end up overall better for DISH. Also the DISH movie pack itself which includes the Epix movie channels and some other good ones is a very decent choice.
With the additional information we have the Directv may not be around for too many more years DISH has to concentrate on staying in business, keeping paying customers, being competitive and maybe end up the only Satellite provider. (No idea if Orby can make it) They can't sign deals like At&t/HBO wanted when customers can get it elsewhere easily without leaving DISH.

Last edited:
With this the last season of Game of Thrones, .
HBO is available easily, in many ways online. .
Thought I use this post to ask this question. Wanting to see GoT, I signed up for Amazon's Prime Video Channel for HBO. Tonight I decided I would watch last season's finale to refreshed myself with where we left off. So, anyway, I went to my 4K Firestick and clicked on the GoT tile and was STUNNED at what I saw. It was a gorgeous 4K picture with Dolby Digital+ sound. As good as anything I have ever gotten via streaming. HOWEVER, I went to the "live" HBO channel and joined a GoT episode that happened to be showing. Here it was disappointing. A mediocre, slightly washed out 1080p picture and simple Dolby Surround. :oldfrown

So, the question is:

What are the chances that Amazon will have a 4K/DD+ version OnDemand AFTER tomorrow's premier? I can probably wait ONE day (avoiding spoilers) if I was assured I would get that marvelous presentation instead of the crappy one I would see live. But if it's going to take a week, forget it...I'll watch it live.

What say you?

Thought I use this post to ask this question. Wanting to see GoT, I signed up for Amazon's Prime Video Channel for HBO. Tonight I decided I would watch last season's finale to refreshed myself with where we left off. So, anyway, I went to my 4K Firestick and clicked on the GoT tile and was STUNNED at what I saw. It was a gorgeous 4K picture with Dolby Digital+ sound. As good as anything I have ever gotten via streaming. HOWEVER, I went to the "live" HBO channel and joined a GoT episode that happened to be showing. Here it was disappointing. A mediocre, slightly washed out 1080p picture and simple Dolby Surround. :oldfrown

So, the question is:

What are the chances that Amazon will have a 4K/DD+ version OnDemand AFTER tomorrow's premier? I can probably wait ONE day (avoiding spoilers) if I was assured I would get that marvelous presentation instead of the crappy one I would see live. But if it's going to take a week, forget it...I'll watch it live.

What say you?

Some interesting questions from your questions. First Amazon's 1080P has an excellent PQ, so good you can barely tell the difference of it from some 4K content. Soo if it was washed out it must be the source in this case that it is coming from HBO. Also HBO is a holdout as most others offer 4K content HBO so far does not.
But if GOT was in 4K on demand, HBO is filming in 4K they just don't broadcast it that way. Someone who gets HBO via Amazon and has a 4K stick can answer better, but I would think it is in 4K on demand as soon as HBO releases it to Amazon. I realize that is not an exact answer as to when. It may be only past seasons become available in 4K. You should know soon if this season's become available in 4K sooner or later...

I realize that is not an exact answer as to when. It may be only past seasons become available in 4K. You should know soon if this season's become available in 4K sooner or later...
Yeah....unless someone here knows definitively, I'll probably watch it "live" tonight and then see how long it takes to put up the archived version.

If it's as quick as the next day, then I'll wait for that period of time the rest on the season. It is THAT much better than what is streamed live.

So today's the day I would usually call up Dish and sub to HBO for Game of Thrones but alas.

Anyways, found out HBO Now doesn't do partial refunds so I wanted to fit in all 6 episodes in one month. So according to my calculations, based on the very last episode being on May 19, I'll remove it May 20 before my credit card gets charged again on May 21. So I'll add HBO Now next Sunday (April 21), miss tonight's showing and watch the first 2 episodes next Sunday instead. Logic sound good or did I miss something?

Reactions: pattykay

So, the question is:

What say you?

When you streamed last season's finale on-demand, that wasn't in 4K. HBO doesn't make any of their content available for 4K streaming on any platform (yet, at least). But I can see how might think it was in 4K because Amazon does a GREAT job of encoding their 1080p HD on-demand content. Right now, if you're looking for the best-possible picture quality for premium sources (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz), you should subscribe to them via Amazon Channels (which requires having a Prime Video subscription first). It's going to look better than watching live from any cable or satellite source, or any other streaming source right now. (That said, I suspect picture quality to be just as good, maybe even better, via Apple TV Channels when that option becomes available next month.)

As you saw yourself, the live streams of those premium channels from Amazon don't look as good as the on-demand streams. Encoding live channels on-the-fly is more difficult because the encoding has to happen just as fast as the video moves. But on-demand content can be more carefully encoded -- taking, for example, 2 seconds to encode every 1 second of video -- and this results in better picture and sound quality.

To answer your question: generally speaking, new episodes/films from those sources will become available to stream on-demand from Amazon within seconds of when that title debuts on their live channel.* So I would expect that the season premiere of Game of Thrones will be available to stream via Amazon Channels (as well as via the HBO Now and HBO Go apps) right after it starts on the live HBO channel tonight. (Hopefully Amazon's servers don't crash though!) HBO has already given that episode to Amazon and, at this time of day on Sunday, I'd say Amazon has already done their optimized encoding of it, so it's just sitting there on Amazon's servers waiting to be revealed in their app/website.

*The exception to this is for shows that air live, such as Real Time with Bill Mahr. HBO obviously can't give Amazon a copy of that show ahead of time to encode. That can only happen after the show completes it live broadcast. Those live shows are typically available for on-demand streaming the following day.

To answer your question: generally speaking, new episodes/films from those sources will become available to stream on-demand from Amazon within seconds of when that title debuts on their live channel.* So I would expect that the season premiere of Game of Thrones will be available to stream via Amazon Channels (as well as via the HBO Now and HBO Go apps) right after it starts on the live HBO channel tonight. (Hopefully Amazon's servers don't crash though!) HBO has already given that episode to Amazon and, at this time of day on Sunday, I'd say Amazon has already done their optimized encoding of it, so it's just sitting there on Amazon's servers waiting to be revealed in their app/website.
The last time when GoT was showing new shows, I subscribed through Dish. That, of course, allowed me to download HBO GO on my Fire TV for free. Since the show was BADLY encoded (the scene in the dark stable with black dogs threw my 55 OLED into panic trying deal with all that black. It failed) so I thought I'd try the HBO Go version instead. The pix was much better (but NOT what I saw last night) but the audio was worse than the picture was bad on the "live" version. But, if I'm not mistaken, as soon as the regular HBO channel started the new episode, it was released to HBO GO.

My GUESS is that the same will happen here. It will go On Demand simultaneously with the live airing.

When you streamed last season's finale on-demand, that wasn't in 4K. HBO doesn't make any of their content available for 4K streaming on any platform (yet, at least). But I can see how might think it was in 4K because Amazon does a GREAT job of encoding their 1080p HD on-demand content.

That's why I posted his question had questions. I was surprised it was in 4K on demand but since the Fire Stick will tell you when it's 4K I thought he saw that and was stating a fact.

Unless you have information that clearly says they don't, I am not convinced they do not shoot in 4K. In fact I have a link that suggests they do. Streaming it or presently making it available in 4K is another issue. They may not want other outlets to have it in 4K when they themselves don't do it. Supposition on my part. It's also why I too pointed out to him that Amazon 1080P is so good that it can appear to equal some 4K.

"If, like me, you’re a 4K purist, you’ll have to wait a while. Looks like HBO is staggering the release of Ultra-HD versions of its opus, but you can get Season 1 in glorious 4K right here, right now. We’ll let you know as soon as there are more seasons."

Where to Get Every Game of Thrones Season on Blu-Ray and 4K Blu-Ray | Inverse

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)