The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

Discussion in 'DISH Network Support Forum' started by edisonprime, Nov 18, 2018.

1. charlesrshell

charlesrshell SatelliteGuys Crazy Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Bobby.

2. charlesrshell

Bobby, I tried the Vizio TV Info button out again. For some reason the Info button does not work on any of the Amazon apps. All other apps the Info button displays the resolution. Also it works for the TV and Satellite HDMI inputs. Strange

crodrules likes this.
  3. Bobby

Bobby Publican Supporting Founder

Interesting, I just tried it over several Amazon programs and Info worked over all of them..

charlesrshell likes this.
  4. charlesrshell

Strange. :coco

5. crodrules

crodrules The Happy Pessimist

I agree with this. I used to have a Directv H25 receiver set to Native, and that is exactly what it did. That would not have been so bad, except that every time that happened (which was almost every time I changed channels) there would also be a loud audio "pop" on my Sony TV. That behavior drove me nuts. I could have set the receiver to always output the same resolution, but that made the SD channels display as stretch-o-vision (making a 4x3 picture wider to fill the 16x9 screen) which was also unacceptable to me. I finally just got in the habit of muting the TV when changing channels (muting was necessary as the "pop" sound was just as loud as always no matter how low I turned down the volume on the TV) at least when anyone else was in the house who would be annoyed by the repeated loud pops. Otherwise, I just got used to hearing it and accepted it, until I finally got fed up enough that I downgraded to a D12 SD-only receiver instead. :eek

ncted and charlesrshell like this.
  6. CyberSpock

CyberSpock SatelliteGuys Pro

In scenes we'd like to see...

Hugh's net commercial. "you think you can't get internet where you are? Well you can!"

Looks up. Rain. They are in Portland Oregon.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

crodrules likes this.
  7. Dud

Dud Member

Is there a chance of hbo/cinemax coming back to dish or that ship has sailed?

8. edisonprime

edisonprime Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Pro

I think it’s a long ways off. It might be like the Hallmark stations against AT&T U-Verse dispute which lasted several years.

9. navychop

navychop Member of the Month - July 2014! Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Sailed. And sunk!

Soon, HBO will not be as we know it. It is morphing into a Netflix clone. Sorta.

So it’s gone. Even if it came back to Dish, which I do not expect, it will be a way different creature.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

eddie willers and charlesrshell like this.
  10. crodrules

Well, I actually did see an HBO ad during a commercial break on Dish. It was on TBS (same ownership as HBO) so it was probably an ad that came as part of the program, that Dish did not bother to cover up with an inserted ad (or did not have the rights to insert another ad in that time slot) but it still seemed unusual to see that. It took me by surprise. Of course, I had not been watching TBS much lately, so they could have been running these kind of ads all along for all I know.

11. crodrules

The VOD menu link finally showed up on channel 300. Channel 501 is still a no-show, though.

12. crodrules

13. Nominal

Nominal SatelliteGuys Pro

Nice backdoor way to get HBO back on Dish receivers (assuming you have HBO through Prime Video and your Amazon Channels are available in the Dish version of the APV app).

crodrules and TheKrell like this.
  14. odbrv

odbrv SatelliteGuys Pro

How long will it take to test Amazon APP. I remember it took quite some time to get Netflix out of testing.

crodrules likes this.
  15. crodrules

That is a good question. The more important question (from my perspective) is will the Amazon App be available on Wally and/or Hopper Duo, or will it be reserved for only the Hopper 3? Both YouTube and YouTube Kids had been in testing on the Hopper Duo for awhile, but ultimately neither of those apps actually materialized to the public on that model, and neither app ever appeared on the Wally for testing. So, it will be interesting to see if the Amazon app shows up on either model for testing, and whether it will ever actually be made available on those receivers.

16. reddice

reddice SatelliteGuys Pro

One good thing about losing HBO forced my uncle to stream HBO in sense he found more programs on Netflix, Amazon Prime video before that he never would have known about.

17. odbrv

odbrv SatelliteGuys Pro

After losing HBO on Dish my wife and I have also discovered Prime( via smart tv) to watch GOT and Netflix on (smart tv and Dish). Now losing RSN's Dish has incentivised us to find alternatives to get Big 12 football such as Hulu and You Tube. We have been impressed and are now watching more Netflix , You Tube, and Prime than Dish. Netflix is free via our niece, Amazon is free via our Nephew and You Tube is 1/3 the cost of our current Dish subscription. My wife actually asked me " Why do we still have Dish?" Another impact is that Dish Anywhere is very unreliable on her tablet. So she has discovered more uses of You Tube. It seems like a disastrous marketing strategy for Dish to force customers to seek alternatives to their services. We have been with Dish since they started business in our area. We never questioned their price increases. This is the 1st time we are actually considering dropping them.

anex80 likes this.
  18. Nominal

Nominal SatelliteGuys Pro

19. Joe h

Joe h SatelliteGuys Family

All part of AT&T’s strategy to reach the least amount of people possible. Then act shocked when no one bites at $20 per month hbo max.

SandFarmer, MikeD-C05 and TheKrell like this.
  20. Yespage

Yespage SatelliteGuys Master Pub Member / Supporter

Yeah the time to do this was when GoT was peaking not after it ended. Regardless, life without HBO hasn’t been all too bad.

SandFarmer and crodrules like this.

Separate names with a comma.

More...