The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

AT&T had a choice, to sell to Dish under the terms of the previous contract.
Actually, according to AT&T's spin early in the dispute, they offered Dish a contract with "better" terms than the previous contract, and they even offered Dish a short-term extension while negotiations continued, and Dish refused the extension. Could it be that the short-term extension would have lasted until just after Game of Thrones ends, and then AT&T was planning to leave Dish anyway? Perhaps letting the contract expire when it did was Dish's only real leverage, in an attempt to deprive HBO of those millions of viewers for its most popular show, to force AT&T to negotiate a longer-term deal with terms that were more to Dish's liking.

It is apparent in this forum that those who subscribes were also sold a lot they didn't want but paid anyway.

AT&T comes up with an alternative strategy. Sell monthly, let the viewers binge watch, and then cancel.

Wow that's going to make more money that before
Actually, it might make them more money, since viewers previously had the same option to subscribe for a month through Dish and binge, and now AT&T is selling the service directly to those subscribers, keeping all of that monthly money. AT&T may lose some viewers, but they make up for it by making more money from the remaining viewers, so either way, they win.

For all we know, Dish May have been handing over all the money, just viewing the availability of HBO as a draw.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: charlesrshell
Actually, according to AT&T's spin early in the dispute, they offered Dish a contract with "better" terms than the previous contract, and they even offered Dish a short-term extension while negotiations continued, and Dish refused the extension. Could it be that the short-term extension would have lasted until just after Game of Thrones ends, and then AT&T was planning to leave Dish anyway? Perhaps letting the contract expire when it did was Dish's only real leverage, in an attempt to deprive HBO of those millions of viewers for its most popular show, to force AT&T to negotiate a longer-term deal with terms that were more to Dish's liking.

Actually, it might make them more money, since viewers previously had the same option to subscribe for a month through Dish and binge, and now AT&T is selling the service directly to those subscribers, keeping all of that monthly money. AT&T may lose some viewers, but they make up for it by making more money from the remaining viewers, so either way, they win.

This "Dispute thing" with Dish may have worked more in the past, but today with more and more choices, the viewer can look elsewhere. Cord Cutting has changed a lot of things.

Reactions: navychop and Tampa8
For all we know, Dish May have been handing over all the money, just viewing the availability of HBO as a draw.
Good point, but many of those subscribers were only paying the $10 promotional rate, and others were getting HBO and Cinemax as a freebie. So, if those subscribers signed up for HBO by any other method, AT&T would have to be getting more money from them now than AT&T had been getting from them before the Dish dispute.

Reactions: pattykay

I'm betting those who subscribe to HBO online will be more likely to cancel when HBO does not have original programming the subscriber wants. In fact that may become the main reason to subscribe. Those who subscribed through DISH were less likely to have subscribed to online movie providers or saw it as the convenience of it. If now they are subscribing via online, they are more likely to try Netflix, Amazon etc. They will find they don't need HBO for movies and eliminate the $15 a month when they can. That is exactly where we are. I had HBO for as long as I can remember. Now I will get it only to watch an original series then drop it.
Worse for HBO IMO, there are signs already posted about that At&t may not allocate the money needed for HBO to continue with original or as much original content. I don't think they want to spend the money to go head to head with Netflix, Amazon. Bottom line, we may be seeing the demise of HBO. Maybe I am overstating it, maybe not.

Reactions: joewhite57
Directv has a freeview for HBO and Cinemax in conjunction with Game of Thrones returning. Guess DISH won't have one. p
That's only as good if it's for people who watched Game of Thrones. I never watched and never had interest. I simply go to either family or friends' houses to watch the two shows off HBO and Cinemax that I care about. Westworld and Tales from the Tour Bus on each network respectively. But I couldn't care any less about Game of Thrones.

Reactions: pattykay
Doesn’t Netflix offer a 30 free trial?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Doesn’t Netflix offer a 30 free trial?
Does anyone here know how liberal Netflix is about allowing you to get another free trial if you have already had one? I am assuming it would work as long as I use a different email address and debit card to sign up. (I used to do that all the time with Hulu.) I have already had one free trial of Netflix, and I am down to having only one debit card, so I have not tried to sign up for another free trial again.

Does anyone here know how liberal Netflix is about allowing you to get another free trial if you have already had one? I am assuming it would work as long as I use a different email address and debit card to sign up. (I used to do that all the time with Hulu.) I have already had one free trial of Netflix, and I am down to having only one debit card, so I have not tried to sign up for another free trial again.

Doesn’t sound exactly legal if one would do that constantly.

Well- signed up for HBO (7 day trial) through Amazon today. Wife will not miss last season of GOT and i'll live to see another day :). Will cancel it after last episode has been watched.
Gerry
Yeah, and you don't want to miss AT&T milking "Game of Thrones" for all it's worth…

(sorry, link only good in the U.S.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)