The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

Well, it has now been three years since Dish's previous dispute with Tribune, and judging by today's uplink report it looks like they are also gearing up for a dispute this time around. :(

Yeah, and what is interesting, just like the Fox Sports RSN's with Disney soon to transition them to Sinclair, is these Tribune stations are soon going to be transitioned to Nexstar. I wish I knew the per subscriber cost for WGN9 in Chicago - it has to drop in carriage fee since the Cubs, White Sox, Hawks, and Bulls will all be leaving WGN at the same time. They can't possibly be asking more for WGN9.

Yeah, and what is interesting, just like the Fox Sports RSN's with Disney soon to transition them to Sinclair, is these Tribune stations are soon going to be transitioned to Nexstar. I wish I knew the per subscriber cost for WGN9 in Chicago - it has to drop in carriage fee since the Cubs, White Sox, Hawks, and Bulls will all be leaving WGN at the same time. They can't possibly be asking more for WGN9.
That is a good point, and it may explain why Dish is apparently in no hurry to reach a deal with any of these stations, as they can simply wait for the new owner to take over, and then deal with the new owner instead.

That is a good point, and it may explain why Dish is apparently in no hurry to reach a deal with any of these stations, as they can simply wait for the new owner to take over, and then deal with the new owner instead.

The new owner is going to be Nexstar who's 100+ channels are currently blacked out on DirecTV. :(

Pretty soon Dish nor DirecTV is going to have any channels left, with all these disputes. I guess DirecTV can have the old Time-Warner channels left, if AT&T doesn't get in a dispute with itself. :)

My wife likes Hard Knocks too. We have joined HBO thru our Amazon Prime. Plan on using our Fire Stick to watch it on TV. Haven't tried it out yet. TitanTV.com says it was supposed to have aired yesterday. When wife gets home she will see if she can find it in our HBO app in Fire Stick.
LQQK, the HBO app works good on our Fire Stick. Watching Hard Knocks now.

When I watch HBO Hard Knocks thru my 4K FireStick the picture is awesome. It is running 2160p. When I watch Hard Knocks thru my LG UHD TV HBO app the picture is a little softer, not quit as good. It is running 1080p. Why the different resolutions between my FireStick and LG TV app?

When I watch HBO Hard Knocks thru my 4K FireStick the picture is awesome. It is running 2160p. When I watch Hard Knocks thru my LG UHD TV HBO app the picture is a little softer, not quit as good. It is running 1080p. Why the different resolutions between my FireStick and LG TV app?

I would say either the HBO app does not support 2160 or it is incorrectly reading the internet band width available. The 4K FireStick produces probably the best 4K I get streaming.

The Firestick is upconverting the original signal to 2160. If you try other apps on the Firestick you will see that all of them are upconverted. Apple TV 4K is the same way.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I would say either the HBO app does not support 2160 or it is incorrectly reading the internet band width available. The 4K FireStick produces probably the best 4K I get streaming.
Thanks Tampa8. I have both my 4K FireStick and LG TV connected to the Internet by Ethernet cable. Do you know of a way I can check why my TV or TV app may not be reading the Internet correctly? There is definitely a difference in the pic quality. FireStick is awesome compared to the LG TV.

Wonder why my LG TV is not up converting the signal!
Your LG is passing the original signal but what you see on the screen is already upconverted to 2160. Keep in mind what your TV is showing when you look at the signal is whatever is coming into the TV, what goes out is always upconverted or natural if that signal is already 2160. The TV doesn't know, or care, that the Firestick signal is upconverted it simply thinks that the signal is naturally 2160.

Your LG is passing the original signal but what you see on the screen is already upconverted to 2160. Keep in mind what your TV is showing when you look at the signal is whatever is coming into the TV, what goes out is always upconverted or natural if that signal is already 2160. The TV doesn't know, or care, that the Firestick signal is upconverted it simply thinks that the signal is naturally 2160.
So, I guess the issue is with the LG TV Prime Video app. So what can I do to get a better app like what my 4K FireStick has.

I can't agree with that in all cases especially 4k. It is very possible the 4K stick is not upconverting and is giving what it is getting, 4k while the app is not giving 4K.
For quite sometime after I first got my Samsung 4K TV (Great PQ btw) the Amazon app was getting 4K from Amazon as it should. But about 15 seconds after starting it would always go back to 1080. It was a problem finally fixed in an upodate in getting the App to correctly see the bandwidth. So the TV was not showing the 4K that was coming in because the app made it 1080. Yes the TV was upconverting to 2160 that part is true but of course that makes it softer than getting an actual 2160 signal..
It was showing 1080 upconverted to 2160 rather than actually getting 2160 and showing it. Meanwhile as soon as I got the 4K stick I had 4K because it correctly saw enough bandwidth for 4K and passed it on to the TV.

I can't say that is the reason in this case but it is a reason for the difference. And apps are not always updated. To this day for my model Samsung the Epix App is only 1080 while some other Epix Apps have been updated to 4K.

I can't agree with that in all cases especially 4k. It is very possible the 4K stick is not upconverting and is giving what it is getting, 4k while the app is not giving 4K.
For quite sometime after I first got my Samsung 4K TV (Great PQ btw) the Amazon app was getting 4K from Amazon as it should. But about 15 seconds after starting it would always go back to 1080. It was a problem finally fixed in an upodate in getting the App to correctly see the bandwidth. So the TV was not showing the 4K that was coming in because the app made it 1080. Yes the TV was upconverting to 2160 that part is true but of course that makes it softer than getting an actual 2160 signal..
It was showing 1080 upconverted to 2160 rather than actually getting 2160 and showing it. Meanwhile as soon as I got the 4K stick I had 4K because it correctly saw enough bandwidth for 4K and passed it on to the TV.

I can't say that is the reason in this case but it is a reason for the difference. And apps are not always updated. To this day for my model Samsung the Epix App is only 1080 while some other Epix Apps have been updated to 4K.

At least on my Sony UHD TV, the Firestick outputs 2160p for all content, so it must be upconverting. Obviously, charlesrshell should confirm the TV sees the resolution from the Firestick as 2160p.

As for what is going on inside the TV, I have no idea. It could be that the app delivers 1080p to the TV and the video processor upconverts it, or it could be the app upconverts the 1080p to 2160p, or maybe something else.

So is there anything I can try Tampa8? I know there is a procedure to delete and re-install apps for the LG TV. Do you think I should I try that?

At least on my Sony UHD TV, the Firestick outputs 2160p for all content, so it must be upconverting. Obviously, charlesrshell should confirm the TV sees the resolution from the Firestick as 2160p.

As for what is going on inside the TV, I have no idea. It could be that the app delivers 1080p to the TV and the video processor upconverts it, or it could be the app upconverts the 1080p to 2160p, or maybe something else.

The 4K Stick only outputs 2160 for all content if you tell it to. Otherwise you can pick or let it pick. Having it set to 2160 does not make it 2160 of course unless the material is 2160. What ever he has it set to with the app being a softer picture the most logical reason is one is giving the TV 4K and one is not. That does not rule out some other problem with the App. Doubtful the Stick is just that much better at producing 4K but anything is possible.

So is there anything I can try Tampa8? I know there is a procedure to delete and re-install apps for the LG TV. Do you think I should I try that?

If there is an update for the app the TV should tell you that in the app section. I have doubts there is anything you can do if I am correct and the app simply is not passing 4K. You can delete it and reinstall I guess. Maybe go to Avsfourm and find your model and see if others are talking about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)