The perfect explination of the NFL owners greedy in this labor dispute...

Of course I'm wrong because you and Jimbo said so, I'm not gonna argue, I just stated my opinion.

I am not saying you are wrong. You are basing your opinion on the past disputes...more than likely with ALL the professional leagues. I am arguing THIS specific dispute. And in THIS CASE, the players were happy with the agreement they had before. The OWNERS chose to dispute something THEY agreed AND signed the last time around.

Last edited:
I hate to say this but I don't think we will see Football in the fall. . It doesn't look good now.

I think a little patience is in order here. Think about contract negotiations with first round draft picks, nothing really happens there till July. If they're in no hurry over $50M, why would you expect them to settle a $1B difference quickly?

I think a little patience is in order here. Think about contract negotiations with first round draft picks, nothing really happens there till July. If they're in no hurry over $50M, why would you expect them to settle a $1B difference quickly?

good point Paul...

However, the longer it takes the more it's going to hurt BOTH sides, the NFL normally would have OTA's in the spring, shortly after the Draft, so they can get an idea of what they have and start implementing schemes, unless they agree sometime soon, you won't have these OTA's and in the long run, hurt both the players and the owners , they potentially will go into the Pre season which would hurt even more if they are locked out.

If salaries go up..ticket prices go up (not that they won't anyway.) Players are replaceable (even Peyton Manning)!! I think the players are going to kill the golden goose

Lets see, you take about 45% of that off the top for government taxes and consider what medical bills are for any injuries they've accumulated.
Then see my other post about what Jerry Kramer gets a month and tell me you side with the Owners.
They just need to get better accountants. Medical bills for on the job injuries should be (and probably are) paid for by the team . Dennis Byrd (NY Jets) has been well compensated by his team since his career ending neck injury. Anybody who is injured to that extent should be taken care of by the NFL but most people are not and can and do begin a second career.

I agree but my gut tells me it won't happen.

If salaries go up..ticket prices go up (not that they won't anyway.) Players are replaceable (even Peyton Manning)!! I think the players are going to kill the golden goose

Salaries ONLY go up because dumb a$$ owners like my Raiders Al Davis overpaying guys that are in some cases over the hill. But to Al Davis' credit....he has never cried poverty like some of the RICHER owners.

They just need to get better accountants. Medical bills for on the job injuries should be (and probably are) paid for by the team . Dennis Byrd (NY Jets) has been well compensated by his team since his career ending neck injury. Anybody who is injured to that extent should be taken care of by the NFL but most people are not and can and do begin a second career.

A second career, maybe in the broadcast booth for the top guys, but I doubt that the majority that have what 10 years in the NFL even think about a second career.

A second career, maybe in the broadcast booth for the top guys, but I doubt that the majority that have what 10 years in the NFL even think about a second career.

I know of one (former) NFL player that owns a McDonald's Franchise about 3 miles away from the Jets Complex in NJ (he does real well) There is a life full of opportunities outside of sports!! Especially if you use the "capital" that u acquire while playing. TV careers are reserved for the superstars (as they should be) These sports stars all (well most) have 4 years degrees and they use them in the workforce like the rest of us do!! Or perhaps they should just "retire at 35" like they do on that TV land show!!

I know of one (former) NFL player that owns a McDonald's Franchise about 3 miles away from the Jets Complex in NJ (he does real well) There is a life full of opportunities outside of sports!! Especially if you use the "capital" that u acquire while playing. TV careers are reserved for the superstars (as they should be) These sports stars all (well most) have 4 years degrees and they use them in the workforce like the rest of us do!! Or perhaps they should just "retire at 35" like they do on that TV land show!!

What you state is true but has NOTHING to do with what they are disputing.

:facepalm What the heck are you going one about!? I think you changed the subject? The point is the NFL is locking out there workforce unjustly!! A real capitalist market would just LET THEM PLAY!!!!!!!!!!
I think the NFL PA's beef with the whole thing is based on principals now.
The owners were already caught with-holding what? 4 billion!!!!
Im curious as to why the owners wont release the financial documents supporting their claim instead of trying to pull the wool over everyone's face.

Last edited:
Post on CBA by Raiddawg on FIB

A look at the financials
Being a numbers guy I thought i'd post this for those that want to understand just how much of the pie is going to who.

Current Deal

Total Revenue 9.3 Billion

-Owners receive 1 Billion
-8.3 Billion is split
-60% for Players (4.98 Billion)
-40% for Owners (3.32 Billion)

Total difference 4.98 - 4.32 = 660 Million in favor of Players

Owner's Orginal Request

-Owners receive 2 Billion
-7.3 Billion is split
-60% for Players (4.38 Billion)
-40% for Owners (2.92 Billion)

Total difference 4.92 - 4.38 = 540 Million in favor of Owners

Last Proposal Rejected By Players

-Owners receive 1.325 Billion
-7.975 Billion is split
-60% for Players (4.785 Billion)
-40% for Owners (3.19 Billion)

Total difference 4.785 - 4.515 = 270 Million in favor of Players

This is all players old and new!! Also cutting the ridiculous rookies salaries! Medical for all the OLD players who started the league and have no money because they did not make a lot also no insurance benefits.

My felling is that the owners own the teams and the players work for them, both should make as much as they can but the owners still own the teams. If the players don't like how "little" they are making(I would love to make the league minimum) then they can quit and find another job. If you aren't happy with your job do you sue them? You go find another job.

If you are in a union and your not happy with your job you go on strike but you still don't sue them or ask for their books.

IMO the players are well paid to play a game and they should be happy they make that much money. I do think they should fight against 18 games, that is the greed on the owners part, and they should have a salary cap on people coming out of the draft, someone who never played pro football shouldn't make more than people who has played pro football.

who here thinks the outcome would've been different if gene upshaw was still around??? this DeMaurice Smith guy looks like kind of an a-hole to me........

who here thinks the outcome would've been different if gene upshaw was still around??? this DeMaurice Smith guy looks like kind of an a-hole to me........
They're all greedy a-holes if you ask me. They need to check out the news and watch some poor bastard running for his life in front of a tsunami...maybe they'd be a little more thankful for the butt-load of good fortune they have...but I doubt it.

:censored: both the NFL owners and players. I won't miss 'em. Let college football thrive (before greed ruins it as well).

Yeah, it seems as if Demaurice Smith almost HAS to have a lockout for him to garner credibility.

Sandra

My felling is that the owners own the teams and the players work for them, both should make as much as they can but the owners still own the teams. If the players don't like how "little" they are making(I would love to make the league minimum) then they can quit and find another job. If you aren't happy with your job do you sue them? You go find another job.

If you are in a union and your not happy with your job you go on strike but you still don't sue them or ask for their books.

IMO the players are well paid to play a game and they should be happy they make that much money. I do think they should fight against 18 games, that is the greed on the owners part, and they should have a salary cap on people coming out of the draft, someone who never played pro football shouldn't make more than people who has played pro football.

CY.... The players were HAPPY with the agreement and it was the owners that stated they are not happy with the piece of the revenue pie. IF you are a business owner and you AGREE by contract that you are going to share a percentage of the pie, well then you are obligated to stick to it. I the players are fight MORE for pension and medical for former players.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)