The Phone Line (Dum dum duuuuummm)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
another reason is so they can see wha tyou watch and then sell off your information to all these pleaces who bug you and want to sell you crap

Phone lines are also a bunch of crap cause thats what our pay is based on is how many we hook up and its a big difference which I think is a bunch of CRAPPPP!!

memory said:
another reason is so they can see wha tyou watch and then sell off your information to all these pleaces who bug you and want to sell you crap
You know you can go into the D* site and turn off that possibility...
I did that awhile back, they do not collect any info from what I watch.
That was before they changed the web site around, so I am not sure if that option is still available or not.

Jimbo

'Phone lines are also a bunch of crap cause thats what our pay is based on is how many we hook up and its a big difference which I think is a bunch of CRAPPPP!"

I was very happy that our installer placed phone jacks in four room of my home so he could get his full pay. Now I have four new phone jacks.

I can't see any reason I would mind D* knowing what we watched, if they do track that kind of thing.

paulman182 said:
'Phone lines are also a bunch of crap cause thats what our pay is based on is how many we hook up and its a big difference which I think is a bunch of CRAPPPP!"

I was very happy that our installer placed phone jacks in four room of my home so he could get his full pay. Now I have four new phone jacks.

I can't see any reason I would mind D* knowing what we watched, if they do track that kind of thing.

yeah your happy and all but then again on the installers part D* doesnt pay anymore for us running phone lines I mean yeah it determies how much we are payed but on the old system we made more money without the lines its all just a deal to payless and get more

paulman182 said:

Hell yeah you were happy you better be happy you only had an old phone jack on the kitchen next to the boiling pots and pans now you have conveniently located phone jacks right next to your bed so you dont have to spend 100 dollars on wireless phone handsets. Hey Verizon would charge you in tune of 100-200 dollars just to run few phone lines. Not 4!!! That would cost you more.

Hey guys, I am still w/o my HR20-700 as I have not purchased yet. and wanted to know if it's required to have this DVR connected into a landline to update the guide like the old Tivos did..?

Or updates from satellite.. ?

pro96 said:
Hey guys, I am still w/o my HR20-700 as I have not purchased yet. and wanted to know if it's required to have this DVR connected into a landline to update the guide like the old Tivos did..?

Or updates from satellite.. ?
No landline required ....
I did have mine plugged in and still do, I like the Caller ID feature so I leave it plugged in.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
No landline required ....
I did have mine plugged in and still do, I like the Caller ID feature so I leave it plugged in.

Jimbo

Thanks Jimbos. my 2nd home has no active land line (just WI-FI and Cell) and was wondering that prior to ordering my HR20-700.

Everyone has good points but, the thread starter says that he has vonage. I have yet to come accross this scenerio in my work but I have been told that D* recievers will not work with VoIP. Is this true?

chadzx11 said:
DTV sends out sort of a beacon (sort of like a ping, except it is mad quantities of cam ids), then the recievers that are summoned call in. The ones that don't are called non responders. Those cost you $5 each, if you work for an alphabet soup company (HSP, MSP,RSP) or one of their fulfillment contractors.

First question: What is cam id?
Second question: Does it matter what phone is receiver is plugged in to? Reason I am asking is because some customers have old phone number on the account then they move and new phone number is not registered with the account. When I install new receivers will they show as non-responders?

I found her one day flipping the channels. I miss Tanya, the new girl is way too pale and the white background scares me.

Everyone has good points but, the thread starter says that he has vonage. I have yet to come accross this scenerio in my work but I have been told that D* recievers will not work with VoIP. Is this true?

When I switched to Vonage, I read enough that said the HR10-250 wouldn't work unless you did a bunch of changes and dialed a New York City number. I didn't even try the local number first but did those steps and it dialed fine.

I had an R15 and now an HR20 and both dial fine with the local phone number without any tweaking.

The thing I need to figure out though is why the HR10-250 is dialing out, it seems, at all hours of the day. I was on the phone last night about 9:00pm and suddenly somebody (I thought) was dialing. It had to be the receiver. I looked at my Vonage account right now and between 1:28am this morning and 7:21am, it dialed the number 7 times. I am assuming those must be busy calls because everybody in the country with an HR10-250 hooked to a phone line and VoIP is probably trying to call that number. I'm thinking of unplugging that receiver since it doesn't give Caller ID and I can get PPV's with the HR20 now.

Anyone else experiencing phone issues with the HR20-700? I have replaced the HD Tivo with the HR20, that was using the phone jack with no problems, but now when I plug it into the HR20, it prevents me from getting a signal from every phone in the house. I unplug it...& I get a dial tone. Not really a big deal, but would like to use the feature to get caller ID on the HR20. Just wonderin' how the HR20 would prevent me from gettig phone service.

Thanks!

Steve

Anyone else experiencing phone issues with the HR20-700? I have replaced the HD Tivo with the HR20, that was using the phone jack with no problems, but now when I plug it into the HR20, it prevents me from getting a signal from every phone in the house. I unplug it...& I get a dial tone. Not really a big deal, but would like to use the feature to get caller ID on the HR20. Just wonderin' how the HR20 would prevent me from gettig phone service.

Thanks!

Steve

Double check on the back of the receiver where you plugging in your phone line. There are two plugs that look exactly the same: one is phone jack another is ethernet or something like that. Make sure you plug into one that says "phone".

Double check on the back of the receiver where you plugging in your phone line. There are two plugs that look exactly the same: one is phone jack another is ethernet or something like that. Make sure you plug into one that says "phone".

Okay, will double check tonight when I get home....but the tech tried it first & agreed it didn't work & since it seems like these things are so difficult to get a hold of I told him it was okay & he left.

I have Vonage and my HD Tivos call out using Vonage. The other day one of my HD Tivos got the update after calling out using Vonage. http://www.vonage-forum.com forum has a number of options you can try to get your Tivo to use Vonage. What works for me is to set the call waiting prefix to *99,,#019,, and the dial prefix to a number in NYC.

"Hell yeah you were happy you better be happy you only had an old phone jack on the kitchen next to the boiling pots and pans now you have conveniently located phone jacks right next to your bed so you dont have to spend 100 dollars on wireless phone handsets. Hey Verizon would charge you in tune of 100-200 dollars just to run few phone lines. Not 4!!! That would cost you more"

I don't understand where you installers are coming from, flaming me like this.

I was stating my appreciation for the job my installer did. He put in the phone lines without anyone asking or telling him to, other than whoever his boss is, I guess. I said I was happy about that. Wouldn't you be?

Evidently you two installers who jumped down my throat don't often get comments of appreciation like that. I wonder how you guys stack up in other areas? Do you get thank-yous at all? Tips? Even cold water?

Makes me appreciate my installer even more. As for what it says about you, I'll leave that for others to decide.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)