The time has arrived, R.I.P Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hemi, you are one of the lucky people to be living in the Philly area because over there, Comcast actually has more HD than D* and E*. And, as an added bonus, since Comcast's headquarters is also in Philadelphia, if you have any problems with your service, you can drive there, march right in and give all of the executives some "love":cool:.
Only Problem is , I live in Newfoundland PA about 90 Miles From Philly.
And I also don't have Comcast. Its Blue Ridge cable.

Only Problem is , I live in Newfoundland PA about 90 Miles From Philly.
And I also don't have Comcast. Its Blue Ridge cable.

OOPS!:eek: Sorry about that. I should've read your original post more carefully. I think when I saw "Comcast Philadelphia", my brain thought you switched to Comcast cable, but I the forgot that's what your RSN is over there. My mistake, stupid me.:D I deleted that post just now so hopefully no one else saw it (then again I think that ship has sailed):(

Glad to see you at least got the 8300's. Hopefully you didn't get stuck with the 8300 with a cable card. I started with SciATL in 2002 with an HD box. That progressed up to an 8300, then I tried out Time Warner's Signature home. I wish I hadn't. The 8300 is a good box. For the most part. Anything newer is a stinky pile of dog crap. In October Signature home gave me a pair of Cisco 8640's. Those things sucked. They were slow, didn't allow you to delete shows on the other dvr, and did I mention they were slow? Oh yeah, I couldn't reuse my external HD on them. So I gave them back. TWC wouldn't reissue a non cable card 8300 so I told them to hit the curb and got a pair of HR24's and a H24. The PQ difference was immense! And it is nice to not have to physically to the other box to delete a show you're done with.

Good luck with the 8300. If you get a stable one, don't let it go for anyone or any reason!

OOPS!:eek: Sorry about that. I should've read your original post more carefully. I think when I saw "Comcast Philadelphia", my brain thought you switched to Comcast cable, but I the forgot that's what your RSN is over there. My mistake, stupid me.:D I deleted that post just now so hopefully no one else saw it (then again I think that ship has sailed):(
Thats ok, Comcast is only keeping Comcast Phily from D* and E*.

Many Cable companys Have Comcast Philly.

Glad to see you at least got the 8300's. Hopefully you didn't get stuck with the 8300 with a cable card. I started with SciATL in 2002 with an HD box. That progressed up to an 8300, then I tried out Time Warner's Signature home. I wish I hadn't. The 8300 is a good box. For the most part. Anything newer is a stinky pile of dog crap. In October Signature home gave me a pair of Cisco 8640's. Those things sucked. They were slow, didn't allow you to delete shows on the other dvr, and did I mention they were slow? Oh yeah, I couldn't reuse my external HD on them. So I gave them back. TWC wouldn't reissue a non cable card 8300 so I told them to hit the curb and got a pair of HR24's and a H24. The PQ difference was immense! And it is nice to not have to physically to the other box to delete a show you're done with.

Good luck with the 8300. If you get a stable one, don't let it go for anyone or any reason!
The 8300's are very Stable, and we get the good software I'm told, that also allows the EHD, which I have 2 of. So I'm liking it.

I'm Still involved with D* and have been asked to perform a service for them Directly. So I'm looking forward to working on some issues I've had in the past with them.

Lets just say it will be an interesting next few months for me and Directv.

Hemi 6.1 said:
RIP Directv 02/10/2011

Good for you. I wish I could do it. While my 40/4 bright house Internet rocks the equipment for tv is outdated and crappy. So I wait for the so called better equipment they are suppose to be releasing as they have in Florida. So until then I cannot enjoy all the great hd they offer, and I remain stuck with this far from stellar crap called directv!!!

so you are saying you are so bummed about what directv doesn't have but not so much that you wont go to your cable co because of their hardware? i find this funny; and it kind of shows where your priority really is and that the few must have channels directv doesn't have really isnt that bad ..

I got a chance to mess with the Blue Ridge Cable HD this past weekend up in Pike County (Lords Valley, PA) at the in laws house. They have a SA 4250HDC (no dvr). I was pleased with the quality of the HD channels, and it was nice to check out some of the channels that DirecTV doesn't have. What's really cool is the on demand feature. There's HD content on demand as well, and there's just a lot of good stuff out there that you can play instantly - without having to download to some other playlist first like on DirecTV. I think that alone is a good reason to always keep Cable in consideration. Now keep in mind your miles may vary. That's what stinks about Cable TV. Each provider is VASTLY different. But in my experience in parts of PA and NJ - seems like the Comcast, Blue Ridge, Service Electric and RCN cable companies are really doing a fantastic job. Its def. something DirecTV needs to keep their eyes on. If they keep resting on their laurels and not adding any new HD or improve the way their VOD system works or heck even add more HD-VOD content - then they will continue to get surpassed in area's serviced by good cable systems. Don't even get me started on Comcast Philly. I know that's not entirely DirecTV's fault, but its still something that holds back a lot of potential subscribers in the Philly markets. I guess it doesn't matter though... Comcast in Philly has 150 some HD channels now - many more basic HD networks than DirecTV. I'd have them if they serviced my neighborhood.

charper1 said:
so you are saying you are so bummed about what directv doesn't have but not so much that you wont go to your cable co because of their hardware? i find this funny; and it kind of shows where your priority really is and that the few must have channels directv doesn't have really isnt that bad ..

You don't know anything about my priorities. What I find funny is the defense of this company by some of you here. Hd is not the only thing that pisses me off about them. That list is for another day I guess. Yep your right my thing is hd. Funny? Why? I've tried the brighthouse dvr and that is why I'm with directv. I have uverse but with 7 TV set in this house and 7 people I don't think that would work. Now the channels missing vs my cable company and even dish who I would never use, are significant. And actually most of the ones missing we watch a lot in this house. Of the 7 tv sets here 6 are in hd so yep, you are right I want the hd everyone that is supposedly inferior already has. Just because it isn't important to you doesn't make it not important to someone else..get over yourself.

cypherstream said:
I got a chance to mess with the Blue Ridge Cable HD this past weekend up in Pike County (Lords Valley, PA) at the in laws house. They have a SA 4250HDC (no dvr). I was pleased with the quality of the HD channels, and it was nice to check out some of the channels that DirecTV doesn't have. What's really cool is the on demand feature. There's HD content on demand as well, and there's just a lot of good stuff out there that you can play instantly - without having to download to some other playlist first like on DirecTV. I think that alone is a good reason to always keep Cable in consideration. Now keep in mind your miles may vary. That's what stinks about Cable TV. Each provider is VASTLY different. But in my experience in parts of PA and NJ - seems like the Comcast, Blue Ridge, Service Electric and RCN cable companies are really doing a fantastic job. Its def. something DirecTV needs to keep their eyes on. If they keep resting on their laurels and not adding any new HD or improve the way their VOD system works or heck even add more HD-VOD content - then they will continue to get surpassed in area's serviced by good cable systems. Don't even get me started on Comcast Philly. I know that's not entirely DirecTV's fault, but its still something that holds back a lot of potential subscribers in the Philly markets. I guess it doesn't matter though... Comcast in Philly has 150 some HD channels now - many more basic HD networks than DirecTV. I'd have them if they serviced my neighborhood.

Uh oh watch out. That's not the popular attitude to have around here. Lmao.

Time Warner Cable in WNY is also offering a 100 plus hd channels with HD VOD, at teaser promo prices for a year or two. However, after the promos are over and price reality settles in, even with a real double or triple play from TW, the service is certainly pricey and the their dvr equipment is sub-par compared to what the DBS companies offer. Furthermore, TW has their moods like Dish, and won't deal with certain providers. i.e. NFL Network and the Mark Cuban Channels. In the end when the promos are over, I will end up with a blend of TW Roadrunner internet and Directv.

I'll will only go back to cable when it is the only option. "triple play" isn't cost effective after a while and their "fiber optic" ads are far from true. Cable monopolies. They don't compete so they can even promote together. 18oo 0k kable, for example.

MY last D* receiver was sent back yesterday.

For the first time in over 15 years, I'm a cable subscriber once again.

All I keep asking myself, Is why did I wait so long!

The HD PQ is right there with D*, the DVR's are lightning speed and have more recording options then the Hr's.

Its just amazing how far cable has come.

Caller ID,VOD, and 2 tuners with only a Single coax.

Sata External Plugs right in and works like a dream.
No Protection plan Fee's, a Single $50 fully refunded deposit on 4 HD DVRs. NOT EACH!
Free install, NO commitment.

List of Missing channels D* didn't offer me in my area including the neighboring local markets!
All included in my base pack.

Locals
  1. WCBS 2 NY
  2. WNBC 4 NY
  3. WABC 7 NY
  4. WWOR 9 NY
  5. TV 13 local (Stroudsburg)
  6. ABC 6 PH
  7. WNET 13 NY
  8. CW WPIX NY
  9. WNEP 16-2
  10. MY HD
  11. CW HD
  12. ION HD
National
  1. Qubo
  2. PBS Digital Learning center
  3. Fox College Sports Atlantic
  4. Fox College Sports Central
  5. Fox College Sports Pacific
  6. Lifetime Real Women
  7. Fox Soccer(Sports Pack not required)
  8. ABC News Now
  9. Halogen
  10. TR3s
  11. VH1 Soul
  12. MTV Jams
  13. 24 Hour Local Weather (Allentown CH 69)
  14. News Zone
  15. Kids Zone
  16. Gol Tv( Sports Pack not required)
Premiums
  1. HBO Comedy
  2. 5 Starmax
  3. Women Max
  4. Action Max
  5. Thriller Max
  6. @Max
  7. Outer Max
Now the HD's

1. ION HD
  2. QVC HD
  3. CSN Philly HD
  4. Outdoor HD
  5. NFL Red Zone HD(Included in Digital HD+ Pack)
  6. Fox Soccer Plus (Fulltime HD channel)
  7. Lifetime Movie HD
  8. E! HD
  9. History International HD
  10. Game Show Network HD
  11. Tru TV HD
And a Bunch of Spanish Channels are included , as well as about 70 Music channels.
And of course REAL VOD, that puts D* to shame!.

Yea , I'm happy with my choice .:popcorn:)

Thats a good question!, But with rising costs on Gas and everything else now days, Its hard to stomach signing a 2 year commitment with a company who is already at the top of the price scale and has not shown a HD intrest except in 3D,PPV and HD RSN.

Glad to be rid of them HR's.

wow most cables systems put Fox College Sports Fox Soccer, Gol Tv (sports pack) , NFL Red Zone (sports or on it's own or hd extra / HD add on pack ) Fox Soccer Plus (some still have at the old $15 /m Setanta Sports rate)

comcast in some areas even puts speed in sports pack as well fox movie channel.

Hemi your lucky you are in the area with what sounds like a good cable system. I wish my local cable company was good. Cable quality varies greatly depending where you live. The only thing my cable company does good is internet. :)

As I have been saying for years that you need to make the choice of whats best for you and your family. There is no perfect satellite or cable company so you must choose whats best for your wallet and for your families viewing tastes. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)