The time has arrived, R.I.P Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hemi your lucky you are in the area with what sounds like a good cable system. I wish my local cable company was good. Cable quality varies greatly depending where you live. The only thing my cable company does good is internet. :)

As I have been saying for years that you need to make the choice of whats best for you and your family. There is no perfect satellite or cable company so you must choose whats best for your wallet and for your families viewing tastes. :)

Thanks for sharing!
Well Dish Network has a line up thats almost good for us, If they would get YES HD and Bring back the other NY RSN's. Their 722, are nice, But the fees would kill me for 3 or 4 of them.

Plus charle is too sneaky for me!

But as far as Cable goes Yea we have the best in the area, Comcast which isn't available to me but areas close by I guess sucks from what I understand. But about 20 miles south they have Fios , which is nice, but I'm not a huge verizon fan at all!

I have always said if DISH Networks HQ was in NY we would have all the NY sports networks. But since they are in Colorado they don't care about NY sports. :)

wow most cables systems put Fox College Sports Fox Soccer, Gol Tv (sports pack) , NFL Red Zone (sports or on it's own or hd extra / HD add on pack ) Fox Soccer Plus (some still have at the old $15 /m Setanta Sports rate)

comcast in some areas even puts speed in sports pack as well fox movie channel.
Fox College Sports, Atlantic,Central,Pacific,Fox Soccer,GoL are all included in the Digital Basic pack.

NFL Red Zone is included with HD Digital Plus Base pack, Which is like and HD Extra pack like D* would offer.
It comes with Smithsonian,MGM,Palladia,HDnet Movies,Universal,National Geographic,HD theater..

Its $83.94 For their Top HD Digital Plus base pack.
Its $10 less if you don't take these channels, and just take the 70 other HD channels.:)
But I need all of them.:popcorn
And its 70 National HD channels, not PPV, and out of market RSN's that do nothing.
They offer every seasonal sports pack that D* does except, NFL and Nascar.
They offer 3D in VOD form, New HD PPV are only $4.95 SD $3.95 .

DVR prices have changed since I've signed up, but for the better, The first receiver is now free, The used to charge the $8.95 DVR fee.
If you have 4 or more receivers on your account the don't charge you at all for the addtional receiver fee's and only the $8.95 X 3 the first year, after the first year the charge you and addtional $15 for 3 addtional receivers.

So my 4 receciver fees the first year are $26.83
After that it goes up to $41.68 for my equipment. Which is what I thought I was going to be paying the whole time.

Yea its a little steep , but still $30 + less the D* or E* per month total!

Last edited:
Well Goodluck Hemi...I am sure you will enjoy your price savings for now and the additional HD Programing that you will get. I was in your shoes a year a half ago, and took Time Warner up on a Promo. Yes the have added a ton of HD Channels; I receive about 100 of them and the only premium I am picking up is HB0. It will definitely take time getting used to their equipment, and their SDV System which is buggy at times. I have that same DVR you have, and although it will give you a PIP, it is far inferior to a 722; but then I guess you are comparing a Cadillac to at Chevy. I am paying $124 a month for HD DVR8300, HD 4350 STB, and my high speed roadrunner. It gives me YES in HD and the MSG's in HD - No NFL Network and no HDNet. My NHLCI Package has half of the HD Feeds that Directv has. My promo will end in August and my bill will go up approximately $40, and then I will have decision time.

I'll will only go back to cable when it is the only option. "triple play" isn't cost effective after a while and their "fiber optic" ads are far from true. Cable monopolies. They don't compete so they can even promote together. 18oo 0k kable, for example.

Honestly who cares about fiber? Most cable companies use a HFC network brining fiber to the node. That’s good enough. And is 100% truth. Verizon has proven that fiber is not all its cracked up to be. Their TV service, which is barley 5 years old is already running out of bandwidth hence why they haven’t had much in the way of new HD channel additions in the past year. They have plans to move to an IPTV based system. That right there tells me not only is Verizon Fios a joke, but the whole fiber fad is as well. That and Verizon did a piss poor job of planning, hence why no one wants their Fios service, and they couldn't make an ROI so they had to hault deployment.

Wait, verizon is not putting FIOS out anymore because of bandwidth and that fiber is a fad that turned out to be a joke?

I havent kept up with the rollout, but I must have missed alot. That is no where near what I have heard and read in the past year. Is this correct?

Wait, verizon is not putting FIOS out anymore because of bandwidth and that fiber is a fad that turned out to be a joke?

I havent kept up with the rollout, but I must have missed alot. That is no where near what I have heard and read in the past year. Is this correct?

I'm biased, I hate Verizon and I think Fios is overrated garbage. But heres the facts.

1) Verizon has ceased all future buildouts of Fios because it is too expensive and they haven't made enough of an ROI on existing customers to warrrent expansion.
2) Verizon has added maybe 3 HD channels in the past year. They have no more QAM bandwidth left. Yep thats right QAM, the same technology digital cable uses, so they have to move over to IPTV.

Verizon Fios is nothing but overglorified cable TV, and people are blinded by the word 'fiber' and think is better for some reason.

MY last D* receiver was sent back yesterday.

For the first time in over 15 years, I'm a cable subscriber once again.

All I keep asking myself, Is why did I wait so long!

The HD PQ is right there with D*, the DVR's are lightning speed and have more recording options then the Hr's.

Its just amazing how far cable has come.

Caller ID,VOD, and 2 tuners with only a Single coax.

Sata External Plugs right in and works like a dream.
No Protection plan Fee's, a Single $50 fully refunded deposit on 4 HD DVRs. NOT EACH!
Free install, NO commitment.

List of Missing channels D* didn't offer me in my area including the neighboring local markets!
All included in my base pack.

Locals
  1. WCBS 2 NY
  2. WNBC 4 NY
  3. WABC 7 NY
  4. WWOR 9 NY
  5. TV 13 local (Stroudsburg)
  6. ABC 6 PH
  7. WNET 13 NY
  8. CW WPIX NY
  9. WNEP 16-2
  10. MY HD
  11. CW HD
  12. ION HD
National
  1. Qubo
  2. PBS Digital Learning center
  3. Fox College Sports Atlantic
  4. Fox College Sports Central
  5. Fox College Sports Pacific
  6. Lifetime Real Women
  7. Fox Soccer(Sports Pack not required)
  8. ABC News Now
  9. Halogen
  10. TR3s
  11. VH1 Soul
  12. MTV Jams
  13. 24 Hour Local Weather (Allentown CH 69)
  14. News Zone
  15. Kids Zone
  16. Gol Tv( Sports Pack not required)
Premiums
  1. HBO Comedy
  2. 5 Starmax
  3. Women Max
  4. Action Max
  5. Thriller Max
  6. @Max
  7. Outer Max
Now the HD's

1. ION HD
  2. QVC HD
  3. CSN Philly HD
  4. Outdoor HD
  5. NFL Red Zone HD(Included in Digital HD+ Pack)
  6. Fox Soccer Plus (Fulltime HD channel)
  7. Lifetime Movie HD
  8. E! HD
  9. History International HD
  10. Game Show Network HD
  11. Tru TV HD
And a Bunch of Spanish Channels are included , as well as about 70 Music channels.
And of course REAL VOD, that puts D* to shame!.

Yea , I'm happy with my choice .:popcorn:)

I LOVE ripping on DirecTVs HD channel line up or lack thereof. Serves them right after so snobbishly proclaiming themselves the ‘HD Leader’ so early on.

Here’s what I get on cable that DirecTV, the self-proclaimed HD leader, does not offer:

AMC HD, BBC America HD, The Cooking Channel HD, DIY HD, ESPN Goal Line HD, EWTN HD, Fox Soccer Plus HD, Fuse HD, G4 HD, History International HD, Lifetime Movie network HD, HLN HD, The Hub HD, IFC HD, Investigation Discovery HD, Nat Geo Wild HD, The Outdoor Channel HD, QVC HD, RFD HD, Style HD, Tru TV HD, WE HD, HBO Signature HD, HBO Family HD, HBO Comedy HD, HBO Latino HD, Moremax HD, Actionmax HD, Thrillermax HD, Outermax HD, 5Starmax HD, Wmax HD, @max HD and my local ION in HD

Now to be fair cable doesn’t have:

BET HD, Fuel HD, Gol TV HD, Mega TV HD, NFL Network HD, NFL Red Zone HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, Sony Movie Channel HD, Telefutura HD, Univision HD, HBO West HD, Cinemax West HD, Showtime West HD, Starz West HD

So basically I’m missing a few Spanish channels and West coast feeds of the movie channels. DirecTV rocks!

TW also has contracts in place to completely blow away DirecTV, as if they haven’t already. Africa Channel HD, Mav HD, GMC HD, GSN HD, Sportsman Channel HD, OWN HD, Oxygen HD, HSN HD, TV Guide Channel HD, Reelz Channel HD, Wedding Central HD, Sundance Channel HD, TV One HD and all three C-SPANs in HH are channels offered on various other TWC and BHN divisions that have not yet made their way to mine.

I for one can't get enough fiber. I need fiber. I could manage without fiber but it would make my daily routine very difficult. My down load speeds would stink worse if I didn't have fiber. I have other things better to do than just sitting around waiting for things to down load, because I didn't have fiber.:)

Steve Mehs said:
I LOVE ripping on DirecTVs HD channel line up or lack thereof. Serves them right after so snobbishly proclaiming themselves the ?HD Leader? so early on.

Here?s what I get on cable that DirecTV, the self-proclaimed HD leader, does not offer:

AMC HD, BBC America HD, The Cooking Channel HD, DIY HD, ESPN Goal Line HD, EWTN HD, Fox Soccer Plus HD, Fuse HD, G4 HD, History International HD, Lifetime Movie network HD, HLN HD, The Hub HD, IFC HD, Investigation Discovery HD, Nat Geo Wild HD, The Outdoor Channel HD, QVC HD, RFD HD, Style HD, Tru TV HD, WE HD, HBO Signature HD, HBO Family HD, HBO Comedy HD, HBO Latino HD, Moremax HD, Actionmax HD, Thrillermax HD, Outermax HD, 5Starmax HD, Wmax HD, @max HD and my local ION in HD

Now to be fair cable doesn?t have:

BET HD, Fuel HD, Gol TV HD, Mega TV HD, NFL Network HD, NFL Red Zone HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, Sony Movie Channel HD, Telefutura HD, Univision HD, HBO West HD, Cinemax West HD, Showtime West HD, Starz West HD

So basically I?m missing a few Spanish channels and West coast feeds of the movie channels. DirecTV rocks!

TW also has contracts in place to completely blow away DirecTV, as if they haven?t already. Africa Channel HD, Mav HD, GMC HD, GSN HD, Sportsman Channel HD, OWN HD, Oxygen HD, HSN HD, TV Guide Channel HD, Reelz Channel HD, Wedding Central HD, Sundance Channel HD, TV One HD and all three C-SPANs in HH are channels offered on various other TWC and BHN divisions that have not yet made their way to mine.

You are so BLINDED ....
D* hasent said ANYTHING about being the "HD Leader" since the first roll out of HD, which at the time they were the HD Leader.

Another thing, you have to determine what an HD channel is.
Some companies count part time channels, I don't have aproblem with it as long as they are avalable. (Yes, I think all HD chammels should be 24 hour HD channels as well)

Some cound the 10,000 VOD channels in their count, that's BS.
Some don't like it when you count a sports channel, why I don't know.
Some count PPV's as HD channels, I don't like that style, I prefer to count a channel that is there, not one you may chooose to order for a few hours.

National, Movie and Sports are all part of a package ... (RSN's).
D* has the ST, that is about16 HD channels, I don't think they count that as 16 HD channels, if they do, they shouldn't.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

I'm biased, I hate Verizon and I think Fios is overrated garbage. But heres the facts.

1) Verizon has ceased all future buildouts of Fios because it is too expensive and they haven't made enough of an ROI on existing customers to warrrent expansion.
2) Verizon has added maybe 3 HD channels in the past year. They have no more QAM bandwidth left. Yep thats right QAM, the same technology digital cable uses, so they have to move over to IPTV.

Verizon Fios is nothing but overglorified cable TV, and people are blinded by the word 'fiber' and think is better for some reason.

Didn't you just say FIOS was out of bandwidth?

Verizon FiOS TV will feature ESPN 3D

Its alive! Boys, boys, boys, I thought we were long past the point of counting the freaking HD channels. My cable has this, D* has that....I understand that we are here to discuss satcos and cable and such but more doesn't really always mean better. I am happy you cable guys are happy with your HD. I a D* fanboy am as happy as I could be with what they have except of course for the whole Philly Sportsnet thing. And oh, of course the D* VOD is comical. Hemi, I love ya, but for crying out loud I swear no one gives a hoot what channels you are getting with yuor new cable love affair. So if this is R.I.P. I would hate to see what resting without the P is like!

SciAtl and cablecos are still using the 8300 ? I had one of those 5+ years ago (when I left Dish when they wanted $999 for the 942 HD-DVR). I hope they've solved the HDD-overheating issue... We went through 3-4 or more in less than two years.

You are so BLINDED ....
D* hasent said ANYTHING about being the "HD Leader" since the first roll out of HD, which at the time they were the HD Leader.

Another thing, you have to determine what an HD channel is.
Some companies count part time channels, I don't have aproblem with it as long as they are avalable. (Yes, I think all HD chammels should be 24 hour HD channels as well)

Some cound the 10,000 VOD channels in their count, that's BS.
Some don't like it when you count a sports channel, why I don't know.
Some count PPV's as HD channels, I don't like that style, I prefer to count a channel that is there, not one you may chooose to order for a few hours.

National, Movie and Sports are all part of a package ... (RSN's).
D* has the ST, that is about16 HD channels, I don't think they count that as 16 HD channels, if they do, they shouldn't.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

The only ones that are blinded are the DirecTV faithful. Seriously, they have the worst HD line up in the industry. Dish had them beat, Verizon has them beat, AT&T has them beat and any decent cableco has them beat. When they could no longer advertise they had the most HD channels (a good portion of which showed no HD content at the time) they started adverting on ‘HD capacity’. DirecTV has always had sleazy marketing IMO and that just added to it. As for what to count, I’ve always counted full time, national, non PPV HD channels. I have 122 HD channels with cable, but when I compare that with others I subtract my locals and my RSNs making it 107.

Didn't you just say FIOS was out of bandwidth?

Verizon FiOS TV will feature ESPN 3D

Yes, Fios is pretty much out of bandwidth. Doesn't mean they won't add a channel here and there. They had to remove the west coast HD feeds of the movie channels in order to add the Rainbow channels in HD. Verizon is moving to an IPTV based system due to lack of current bandwidth. Google it, you'll see I'm right.

I don't have to spew my hatrid toward Verizon to make them look bad, they suck enough on their own.

Lets see Verizon add the 50+ HD channels they lack using their current QAM infrastructure. Not gonna happen.

Lol, if the company I sub to only has 5 channels, thats ok, if those are the 5 channels that I want.

Personally, I am happy with the service and selection that D* gives me. I get great PQ, decent equipment, good selection of nationals (to the point that I cant think of one that I personally want added), and the best sports offerings of anyone.

As far as what anyone else offers, well, great. If that is what you want, and cant do without it, then by all means, get it.
It is just good that we all have options to meet our needs.

SciAtl and cablecos are still using the 8300 ? I had one of those 5+ years ago (when I left Dish when they wanted $999 for the 942 HD-DVR). I hope they've solved the HDD-overheating issue... We went through 3-4 or more in less than two years.

Sci Atl was purchased by Cisco a few years ago. All new boxes from them have been rebranded Cisco. The Cisco Explorer 8640HDC is the successor to the Explorer 8240/8300 series. The new boxes feature more internal RAM and larger hard drives. For non DVRs the Cisco 4640HDC replaced the 4200 series

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)