The Tube Gone?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I did send the tube a letter begging and pleading for them to come back to ku band, if for no other reason than to let then know people were watching and missing it....

With FTA, this is exactly the wrong thing to do. If they're going to cable or subscription based services they don't want people watching for free. If it comes to their attention that a large number of people are watching their programming for free they're going to put an end to it and hope that many or at least some of those people will then subscribe to one of the providers that carry their programming. So letting them know that alot of us were watching their programming for free and now miss it will only serve to make them more inclined to ensure that it's no longer possible. Of course it probably doesn't matter now anyway and it was inevitable that this would happen anyway as the cable companies they signed deals with probably forced them to either encrypt or no longer make their signal available FTA.

Stefan said:
With FTA, this is exactly the wrong thing to do. If they're going to cable or subscription based services they don't want people watching for free. If it comes to their attention that a large number of people are watching their programming for free they're going to put an end to it and hope that many or at least some of those people will then subscribe to one of the providers that carry their programming. So letting them know that alot of us were watching their programming for free and now miss it will only serve to make them more inclined to ensure that it's no longer possible. Of course it probably doesn't matter now anyway and it was inevitable that this would happen anyway as the cable companies they signed deals with probably forced them to either encrypt or no longer make their signal available FTA.

so true....remember..........

FTA....here today...might be gone tomorrow. We can't really say anything because its free :)

You see . . . first we give it away for free . . . then . . . once they are hooked . . . we make em pay for it. I remember when B4U could be picked up on Echsotar 3 if you subscribed to SkyAngel. The signal was not being blocked. Once the channel was established, you had to pay for it.

The Tube is what MTV once was (sort of), so I'm sure the big dogs of the media industry noticed it's appeal and marketabilty to those of us from the 70's 80's and 90s. How wierd is that? I'm now the one companies target because I'm the middle class 30-something group that earns the money in America.

It'll be interesting to see if 'Gas' has any comment on this.

The Tube still needs to be uplinked someplace.

Can anyone who sees it OTA verify if the new channel is showing there too? The nearest OTA that has it for me is 125 miles away (Tucson, AZ) and I think there is a mountain in the way :(.

Shawn

Too bad FTA seems to be slowly dying....sad day. I fail to understand why north america is always about the buck.

for the near future the Retro jams feed will replace the tube

FTA seems to be slowly dying....

maddawg said:
Too bad FTA seems to be slowly dying....sad day. I fail to understand why north america is always about the buck.
I agree with the second part, but how do you figure "free to air" is dying. If I count my C-band as free to air, I've been watching some type of free to air for 27-28 years. And nearly every time I do a blind search, I find something new. Granted, it may not be a regular programming channel, but it's free to air. The thing that seems to be slowly dying is 4dtv. That's the real sad shame. I don't think FTA will ever die, it will surely change, as it already has, some will lose interest and newbies will take there place, but it will never die. The next major change will probably be mpeg 4. I just hope it's not to expensive.

Al

Stefan said:
W If it comes to their attention that a large number of people are watching their programming for free they're going to put an end to it and .

Hello? That's what they just did! So, since they already terminated it, how was it the wrong thing to do?

Well, the AMC3 feed is still alive, however it is C-Band only..

It may be more of a reason for me to get my hands on a C-Band dish now.. even if its a 6 footer planted on AMC3 ;)

I noticed The Tube was on a local cable channel the other day. It's also a subchannel on the CBS station here. I preferred the quality of the one on G10R though!

The Tube is still available on Digital OTA 29.2 WFLX in West Palm Beach

Not many of us have access to C-Band. So spend $1000 to get one channel? Don't see the logic in that approach. Also, what about those who cannot install a C-Band dish due uncontrollable restraints?

There is plenty of FTA on C-band.. and besides.. you can pick up a brand new 180cm dish for $180 shipped to you, which will do alot more for you then just get one channel.. I mean, some of us here have spent more money then that on just LNBs and DiSEqC Switches..

I think maddawg was referring to the 2nd part of his post. Some of us (me included) can't put C-Band up for various reasons

Mine is the HOA...and the fact they won't let me bury a dish in the ground.

maddawg said:
. So spend $1000 to get one channel?

damn...I didnt know the US/CAD $$ conversion was THAT bad :)

Most people will GIVE you their old C-Band...sportsbars that dont use them anymore are great to find..

iceberg, its the cost of getting it up and running...might be a bit high but like you I cannot install a C-band dish. So what good is C-Band for those who cannot have it installed?

maddawg said:
iceberg, its the cost of getting it up and running...might be a bit high but like you I cannot install a C-band dish. So what good is C-Band for those who cannot have it installed?

I have a C-Band dish in my garage asking the same question :)

FWIW, I setup a small C/Ku dish which assuming the dish costs the same (<$50) and I spent about $300 (US) getting it up and running (ribbon Cable / tools / VBOX / actuator / pole / cement). I spent almost another $300 to get the C/Ku feedhorn updated with high end Norsats.

So far.... pointing via 1.2 is a pain. A 1.2M offset dish on a HH120 using USALS would be VERY welcome here. I laugh when the C-band guys talk about what a pain the SG2100 etc are to setup vs a polar mount. Give me a HH motor any day of the week. I can peak a SG2100 in no time.

The good new - my VBOX doesn't seem to lose positions like some here have described.

I'll have to check tonight and see if I can get the Tube with my dish. I can't get Imagine Asian on IA13 (121w) in spite of pegging the meter on other transponders on the same sat :(.

I do get 'FUSE' though on 121. Its current stuff - like what MTV would play if they played music videos. BTW - anyone see the 'We don't play music' commercials on MTV? lol.

Shawn

Status
Please reply by conversation.