The Voom Replacement Channels are...

Seems kind of disappointing replacement for VOOM to replace the channels with PayTV content.

If I were the sort to start conspiracy theories, I'd say that Cablevision (who were part owners of Voom, remember?) decided to shut down Voom just to make room for more expensive channels.

What does this mean? :

Each channel is a true simulcast of its Standard Definition counterpart and will be mapped to the lower channel positions.

What does this mean? :

Each channel is a true simulcast of its Standard Definition counterpart and will be mapped to the lower channel positions.

It means that since there is no difference between what the SD and HD channel shows, if you have a HD box and tune to the channel in the 300's it will automatically give you the HD channel.

It means that since there is no difference between what the SD and HD channel shows, if you have a HD box and tune to the channel in the 300's it will automatically give you the HD channel.

this is only for the few towns that already do this with the sd/hd channels its not the entire footprint

If I were the sort to start conspiracy theories, I'd say that Cablevision (who were part owners of Voom, remember?) decided to shut down Voom just to make room for more expensive channels.
Newsflash:

Voom is still in business. Just not in America anymore. Its on in over 20 countries.

Yes VOOM is still alive, but after January 20th they will not be available in the US anymore. There are a few VOOM channels on Bell TV in Canada.

4 Voom like channels-Hi Fidelity

Yes VOOM is still alive, but after January 20th they will not be available in the US anymore. There are a few VOOM channels on Bell TV in Canada.[/QUOTE]

Yea Scott,

The 4 Voom like channels are from Hi Fidelity. Only Sat company carrying them is Bell. I do believe they were just picked up by Rogers cable. Its in a free preview right now.

I wonder why they wont market them down in the states?
I just love the idea of a 24 all HD channel with no commercials.
I do hope there are new channels, HD channels that will surface like this in the future.

Smithsonian has a deal with Hi fidelity to provide them some content.

DirecTV also provides the option to see both on the same ch#. On the box you can select whether or not you want HD only or both HD and the SD counterpart. For example HBO is on Ch 501 on DirecTV. For those who choose to have access to both, if you tune to ch 501 you will get the HD version of HBO. If you go up one on the remote you will get the SD version. The Ch # will still read 501.

Not happy at all with their decision. I guess they do not have any other HD agreements with other programmers they have SD feeds with like ESPNews, A&E, Bio, History, Planet Green, Crime & Investigation, Disney Channel, Toon Disney, Cartoon Network, and ABC Family. Those channels should be the replacement Voom channels.

Not happy at all with their decision. I guess they do not have any other HD agreements with other programmers they have SD feeds with like ESPNews, A&E, Bio, History, Planet Green, Crime & Investigation, Disney Channel, Toon Disney, Cartoon Network, and ABC Family. Those channels should be the replacement Voom channels.

Out of your list, I would only want A&E.

They can't please everyone so they choose to please their premium customers!

I'm pleased.

The channels are...

Encore HD - Channel 772 (350)
Starz Kids & Family HD - Channel 773 (342)
Starz Edge HD - Channel 774 (343)
HBO Signature HD - Channel 775 (301)
HBO Family HD - Channel 776 (302)
HBO Comedy HD - Channel 777 (303)
HBO Zone HD - Channel 778 (304)
HBO2 HD - Channel 779 (96)
HBO Latino HD - Channel 793 (305)
Action Max HD - Channel 794 (371)
More Max HD - Channel 795 (372)
@MAX HD - Channel 796 (375)
Outer MAX HD - Channel 797 (377)
Showtime Too HD - Channel 798 (90)

Showtime Showcase HD is the 15th channel. The additions are now being advertised on the guide channel.

They did market them in the States. There were no takers. Dish, then Comcast, dropped them.

There were plenty of Dish customers that wanted them. It's just that Dish, like many companies, is anti-consumer. They try to convince the consumers what they want rather than listening to what the consumers want.

Do you think they will eventually position all the hd movie channels together? HBO,Starz/Encore, Cinemax and Showtime are currently not lined up in order? You have to skip about 20 channels from HBO HD etc. to get to the new HBO HD channels? Same with the other HD movie channels.

That sucks. Has this been confirmed Remy or is it what others think? Since these channels will be sdv what about the tuning adaptor?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)