The YouTube TV Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Hard drive and power bricks are easy to replace if that is the TiVo problem

I have come home twice this week to every light on the front of my Roamio flashing. Unplugging it for a while and then plugging it back in has worked so far but from what I’ve read in google searches all of the lights flashing like that means it’s on its way out.

I’ve already had the power supply replaced once under warranty but when that happened all the lights weren’t flashing like this. The unit was just stuck in an endless bootup sequence. If it’s as simple as replacing the hard drive that is no problem since I already replaced the stock drive with a 2TB model. From the TiVo community forums it sounded like this was more of a permanent failure though.

I have come home twice this week to every light on the front of my Roamio flashing. Unplugging it for a while and then plugging it back in has worked so far but from what I’ve read in google searches all of the lights flashing like that means it’s on its way out.

I’ve already had the power supply replaced once under warranty but when that happened all the lights weren’t flashing like this. The unit was just stuck in an endless bootup sequence. If it’s as simple as replacing the hard drive that is no problem since I already replaced the stock drive with a 2TB model. From the TiVo community forums it sounded like this was more of a permanent failure though.

yep, sounds like it

I'm beginning to think a partial solution to DVR woes with YTTV (i.e., the limited time before a forced-commercial, on-demand version replaces a recording) would be adding commercial-free Hulu to my services, especially as long as I continue to get YTTV for $35/mo. The other option would be going back to PS Vue for $45/mo, but I'm hearing it's starting to replace recordings with on demand versions for many shows within a similarly tight time frame.

I say "partial solution" because of course Hulu wouldn't carry every show I record. But there'd be other benefits, including Hulu originals, shows I can't get on Netflix/Amazon, and the improved quality over recorded shows on a live TV streaming service. Fortunately in my case, I don't regularly follow any CBS shows.

*first world problems*

I'm beginning to think a partial solution to DVR woes with YTTV (i.e., the limited time before a forced-commercial, on-demand version replaces a recording) would be adding commercial-free Hulu to my services, especially as long as I continue to get YTTV for $35/mo. The other option would be going back to PS Vue for $45/mo, but I'm hearing it's starting to replace recordings with on demand versions for many shows within a similarly tight time frame.

I say "partial solution" because of course Hulu wouldn't carry every show I record. But there'd be other benefits, including Hulu originals, shows I can't get on Netflix/Amazon, and the improved quality over recorded shows on a live TV streaming service. Fortunately in my case, I don't regularly follow any CBS shows.

*first world problems*

I don’t know if this is accurate but I saw someone on Reddit claim that if he started watching the recordings before they were replaced by the on demand version those recordings stayed available until he finished them.

That’s not an ideal situation but it’s a possible workaround.

I don’t know if this is accurate but I saw someone on Reddit claim that if he started watching the recordings before they were replaced by the on demand version those recordings stayed available until he finished them.

That’s not an ideal situation but it’s a possible workaround.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to give it a shot, though when I went back a few days later to shows I had watched as DVR recordings, they had been switched out with on-demand versions, unless being marked as "Watched" had something to do with it.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to give it a shot, though when I went back a few days later to shows I had watched as DVR recordings, they had been switched out with on-demand versions, unless being marked as "Watched" had something to do with it.

Yeah he mentioned that as soon as he finished the episode it switched to the on demand version. He just claimed as long as it was registered as partially watched it kept the recorded version and kept his place in the episode.

Reactions: Zookster
I haven’t watched in a few days. Today I noticed when switching live channels, the correct resolution is instantly. No more build up 5-10 seconds to the correct resolution.
The only thing in my mind that needs a fix is 1080i 30fps channels. Especially for sports. This would be a completion for cord cutting solution in my eyes.

Has anyone tried to customize channels yet? I'm still not seeing the option in the Chrome browser version or Android, though at least one person in the YTTV FB group has been able to customize already. I even restarted my computer to hopefully refresh the update in Chrome.

I can see that option in my iPhone.

IMG_3453.JPG
IMG_3454.JPG

I can confirm that it does change it on streaming devices too.

It was not all that clear in the link, or at least as I read it.

My phone app was last updated on 22nd. It seems we have this option more than a week.
Mine was as well, I didn't update it today, but it showed up.

I'm liking this feature alot. You can't adjust it on a streaming device, which is odd, but you can online or with your phone.

And I gained Telemundo today. I'll never watch it, but two new additions. So, win!

Still nothing for me. I've tried everything I can think of to force an update both on Chrome PC and Android tablet, including deleting and reinstalling the app (Android), and logging out and back in (both), trying different PC browsers, and restarting my devices. :(

But I do have Telemundo! Woo hoo! lol Actually, it might be good for World Cup, as they may show matches not available on the American English-speaking networks. I've seen that in the past, living within easy antenna range of Mexico.

Okay, I'm good. Feature is now available. Only disappointment is that some of the channels I banished still appear under "Top Picks" in the Home menu. Finally getting rid of them was one of the main reasons I was so excited about this feature. I actually rarely even use the live guide for browsing.

I know stuff someone heard from a CSR is iffy at best but there is a thread in the YouTube TV Subreddit right now saying that support told them they are rolling out the ability to choose your recording or the VOD version of episodes. A bit further down in that thread there are a couple people saying they got a popup informing them that they have this choice now. If this is true I think I might actually retire my Tivo from OTA duties and just do everything through Youtube TV. Here is an image someone posted showing the choice of DVR or VOD for the most recent episode of Walking Dead.

Reactions: Zookster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)