There a way to only record a show, watch it, delete, and not record it again? (622)

BrunoPuntzJones

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
I don't subscribe to locals, and don't like watching live tv, or current shows.

Say I want to watch Scrubs. So I make a timer for all episodes.

It records at starting say episode 54, records all other episodes up to like 120 (or whatever they are at), then 1-53.

So I sit to watch them starting at 1. Then 2. And so on. I make it past 30 or so. I delete them after I watch them to free up space, and to know where I need to start next (just look for the lowest episode #).

I'm finding that it's recording episodes 1-30 something again. Ones I've already watched and deleted are being recorded again. Is there a setting to get around this?

I've tried "new episodes" but that's only recording stuff in 2007, not episode 1 (duh, hence new episodes).

I could be wrong. But I don't think it will do something like that.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Cause I would like to do something like that.
Don't think the unit is that smart.

No, it won't do what you want. It doesn't keep track of what you've recorded, watched, and then deleted. It won't record the same episode twice so long as it's already been recorded and still not deleted, but once you delete it, it starts over.

You can tell it to skip episodes before it's recorded them. Hit the DVR button (3) times, choose Timers, pick your show from the list, and you can scroll through the list. You can see the original air date and other information. Select the ones you don't want and hit Skip.

Weak. Seems very easy to have this option.

Why would I want to keep old shows I've watched? Isn't that what the protect thing is for?

No way to get content off the 622 either I suppose :(

Why would I want to keep old shows I've watched? Isn't that what the protect thing is for?

No way to get content off the 622 either I suppose :(

The protect thing is so program would not be accidentally deleted. It puts a security code on it. Only thing I can come up with is for you to keep track of the episodes you want and dvr each episode by itself. But this would be very time consuming on your part.

it would also seem easy to have an option for tuesday-saturday recordings for manual timers to record late night show (like conan obrien), but its just not that way.

i also thought that protect would make sure the dvr didnt automatically overwrite the recording... deleting is still easy, it doesnt prompt you a 2nd time or anything.

Sure, you could probably easily implement it. Just have a recording option that records "ALL (except previously recorded)". Problem is you would need to have a lifetime record in your machine of every single program you ever recorded being stored.

I see two problems with that... first, privacy advocates might take exception of machines keeping such records, and second, over time, I wonder how much space that might take up.

I don't know, seems trivial to me to just delete shows I've already watched if they get rerecorded using the ALL timers.

Space wise I can't see it ever taking up more than a few megs, even if you recorded every show that ever came on.

All it would need to keep is something like:

Scrubs CMDY 1
Scrubs CMDY 2

Could have thousands of entries taking no space.

I could understand the privacy concern. I don't keep mine connected to a phoneline, so no monitoring of my recording habits...But just have a "format" type button that makes the machine like it was out of the box. Kinda like they have for PDAs and Smartphones. No worries there and it keeps way more than just what shows have been recorded.

It does get time consuming having to delete say 200 shows a week, since Comedy Central runs Scrubs like 40 times a day.

Local Fox Denies all waivers even with Signal Test

4 Receivers Gone Bad in 2 Months - Am Mystified

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)