Thinking about moving back to DirecTv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

1sweetchevy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
STL, MO
Hi guys, it's been a few years since I've had DirecTv service and i'm thinking about making the switch back. I'm thinking about getting a Genie and one, possibly two genie minis, and was wondering if you'd be able to give me some advice about my options given my current setup from my previous installation. I had to have my shingles replaced due to hail damage so I no longer have my old 5lnb dish, so I'll need a new dish to go with the new receivers.

I currently have 4 lines in the attic that I can run back outside to the new dish. Those 4 lines run down to the basement where they are connected to a Zinwell 6x8 multi-switch(WB68). From the multi-switch there are 2 lines that run to the living room (formerly HD DVR), one line to the bedroom (formerly SD receiver), one line to the guest room, one line to the office, one line to the bar, one line to the gameroom, and one line to the family room.

Optimally, the Genie would go in the living room, one of the minis in the bedroom and the possible third mini would float between the other rooms as needed. Would that be possible given the current setup if I install a dish with the built in SWM? The Zinwell's in a really difficult to access location so if I'd rather not have to mess with it if possible. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

The Genie requires a swm setup. They might give you a swm8 switch which would replace the 6x8, but more likely a swm lnb. It only needs one line from the dish to a splitter.

I would not get a mini genie
id get either another dvr or plain tuner
the fact that a mini uses a tuner from the genie is something I do not like

I would stay away from Server/Client systems like the Genie and just get a normal HD DVR for each room that you need that in and HD

DishCrapwork started this stupid trend and I think it's a horrible set up, if the Genie/Hopper quits, your whole house is without TV until it's fixed. I prefer every TV in the house to operate independently from one another.

I like the mini genie. I mean I get your points, but my one in the bedroom is only for watching some late night stuff, or when I put it inthe living room to run 2 tv's. Lot easier to deal with than an DVR. The Genie losing one tuner out of 5 is a lot better than the Joey taking 1 out of 3.

I love the HR44 so far.

I would stay away from Server/Client systems like the Genie and just get a normal HD DVR for each room that you need that in and HD

DishCrapwork started this stupid trend and I think it's a horrible set up, if the Genie/Hopper quits, your whole house is without TV until it's fixed. I prefer every TV in the house to operate independently from one another.

I actually first used a whole home dvr many years ago with ATT Uverse, then Dish's Hopper and now Direct's Genie. Love all of them and could never think of going back to the days when all boxes weren't connected to each other. Love the ability to access my recordings from any room, especially when you have a family and one room is variably occupied by someone else so you don't have to worry that the recording you want is on that box in the occupied room. (Knock on wood) Have never had any of these system failed on me but I have multiple streaming alternatives if that happens. Whole home systems make totally great sense to me as it offers a convenience everyday while you're worried about an off chance of equipment failure. How often does that happens to one household?

I actually first used a whole home dvr many years ago with ATT Uverse, then Dish's Hopper and now Direct's Genie. Love all of them and could never think of going back to the days when all boxes weren't connected to each other. Love the ability to access my recordings from any room, especially when you have a family and one room is variably occupied by someone else so you don't have to worry that the recording you want is on that box in the occupied room. (Knock on wood) Have never had any of these system failed on me but I have multiple streaming alternatives if that happens. Whole home systems make totally great sense to me as it offers a convenience everyday while you're worried about an off chance of equipment failure. How often does that happens to one household?

You can have the Whole Home service using DVRs instead of clients. One of the DVRs could be a Genie but doesn't have to be.

I think any swm receiver dvr combo will work in whole home
but the 5 tuners in the genie is so nice

I had two HR24's until I went to an HR34, last time I was with Dish. 5 tuners trumps 4 :)

There are already two nights a week now where I have to record something when its shown again later because I am recording 5 things in an hour. How in the world did we ever make it off 1 and 2 tuner DVR's lol.

I had two HR24's until I went to an HR34, last time I was with Dish. 5 tuners trumps 4 :)

There are already two nights a week now where I have to record something when its shown again later because I am recording 5 things in an hour. How in the world did we ever make it off 1 and 2 tuner DVR's lol.

It does, but if the Genie goes down you have 0 tuners!

You can get a new box quick enough, Ill take the 5 tuners every day over worrying about something that may happen in 6 months, or not in 3 years :).

I could get run over by a Directv van on the way to the mailbox, but that doesn't stop me from checking the mail!

I'm just saying that having a dvr instead of a client is a good idea since you would still have two tuners if the Genie goes down.

Pros to having a client:

1. Full access to VOD and AM21/OTA (if you have those) in every room.
2. Easy to make changes to a favorites list, etc and just "copy settings."

Cons to having a client:
1. Everything Chip has said.
2. The client is SLOOOOWWWWW and not always responsive.

Is the slow client related to being mated to an HR34? Reason I ask is mine is just fine, and not better or worse than the Joey was.

You can get a new box quick enough, Ill take the 5 tuners every day over worrying about something that may happen in 6 months, or not in 3 years :).

I could get run over by a Directv van on the way to the mailbox, but that doesn't stop me from checking the mail!

Lol......or hit by a kangaroo jumping out of a Dish van.

These guys have me freaking out over the reliability of the Genie, does it have a track record of high failure rate? My Uverse and Hopper systems never failed me once over the 6 years I had them. Plus coming from 3 tuners, I'm quite fine with 5 and the ability to use each box as if I'm right at the dvr itself. My clients are just as fast as the dvr but I'm using C41's with a HR44 so I don't know if that makes a difference.

The HR34 is and has been buggy, I think its just underpowered. That was all fixed with the HR44, its a great dvr.

Im thinking the slower client issues may be with the HR34, I just dont see it with the HR44. I mean its slower than the HR44, but its not slooooow.

Pros to having a client:

1. Full access to VOD and AM21/OTA (if you have those) in every room.
2. Easy to make changes to a favorites list, etc and just "copy settings."

Cons to having a client:
1. Everything Chip has said.
2. The client is SLOOOOWWWWW and not always responsive.

And if you already have a DVR, theres NO Con to having another one.

other than what is mentioned, the thing that bugs me about the GENIE is the junk fees. $25 or so for the "advanced DVR fee" and $6 for a genie client in the other room - so $31 in junk fees which amounts to around half of my $65 programming package. Paying that much junk fees, the crap GENIE system, and loss of bill credits after 24 months is going to make me ditch DIRECTV and hopefully back to DISH (unless they are without ESPN at that time).

My GENIE may already be dying and it has only been 11 months since I got it as a new customer - things froze on the main GENIE receiver in the middle of the final Talking Bad episode on AMC during Breaking Bad finale night so I wonder if that indicates the hard drive may be dying. a reset got rid of the freezeup but now I'm scared my GENIE will just quit at any given moment. Never had problems with a DISH 625 in 6 years until it's hard drive failed and I went to DIRECTV.

Dish has plenty of fees too...

As far as the drive failure, hard to guess. Is the 5 tuner setup more taxing (I dont think so)? FYI, they both are using Seagate Pipelines and AV-GP drives, so its not like one is using any different drive than the other. My Tivo came with a Seagate Pipeline, I put a AV-GP drive in it (expanded space).

The best thing one can do for a dvr is put it on a UPS, period. Plus it keep recording when the power goes out :)

other than what is mentioned, the thing that bugs me about the GENIE is the junk fees. $25 or so for the "advanced DVR fee" and $6 for a genie client in the other room - so $31 in junk fees which amounts to around half of my $65 programming package. Paying that much junk fees, the crap GENIE system, and loss of bill credits after 24 months is going to make me ditch DIRECTV and hopefully back to DISH (unless they are without ESPN at that time).

My GENIE may already be dying and it has only been 11 months since I got it as a new customer - things froze on the main GENIE receiver in the middle of the final Talking Bad episode on AMC during Breaking Bad finale night so I wonder if that indicates the hard drive may be dying. a reset got rid of the freezeup but now I'm scared my GENIE will just quit at any given moment. Never had problems with a DISH 625 in 6 years until it's hard drive failed and I went to DIRECTV.

The Junk fees as you call them are the same fees you've been paying all along, only they are bundled together now.

You have the DVR fee, the HD Fee , thats the majority of it, now, DISH also has the same fees, I'm not sure what the pricing is for them, but I gotta believe they are close.

What I'm saying is, you pay them regardless of what provider you go with, weather they are bundled or separate.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)