Thinking about signing up for DirecTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What is the definition of a reasonable expectation?

Thank you for the forecast. I guess my real question is, "What is the definition of a reasonable expectation of how management and ownership will treat consumers who have signed two year service contracts?" Given that there is new ownership of the sat service, and given that they (the old owners) have had the semi-embarassement of being criticized by Congress for questionable advertising, performance, product and service recently... here is what I think. If an informed observer was aware of the capactiy of the satellite fleet, the consumer demand in relative terms for addtional SD and HD channels, the margin for leasing new transponders to "other" interests, and the availability of additional SD and HD channels, we could make a reasonable guess on how long (the duration) that superior performance will be available to the consumer...given that none of the older sat's in the fleet konk out (become disfuncitonal).

In other words, Maybe it will take 3 or 4 years to fill up D-10 and D-11 with junk. In other words, maybe they have already saturated their capacity with junk SD channels and there will not be any additional economic incentive to add additional SD junk channels. Maybe they will concentrate on having desirable, widely popular HD channels that a great number of consumer viewers will prefer.

Tha joker in this deck of cards is greed! What is the technical feasibility of leasing transponders on D-10 and D-11 to a third party non-TV provider? ( I don't know the answer to that ). That is the sort of stupidity that I would expect to be under discussion as a contingency plan by ownership, in case the "demand" for HD does not materialize. Think about it...it has been about nine years since ABC HD premired 101 Dalmations on the initiial OTA transmission of HD. What is the market penatration of HD in USA? Last I heard it was something like 45 million households out of about 135 million households in a nation of 300 million in the US.

On the other hand, their other sat competitor does not appear to be activitly shaping the HD market. Their cable competitior are busly working on switched video. Have heard that the two larger switched video trials by *cast will conclude in February 2008. It would be a presumption to assume that they will move forward rapidly with a roll-out to select markets. In other words, the conculsion of the two tests of switched video may (or may not ) be that the competitor's technology is technically immature or economically infeasible.

So lets applaude the sat service (and prior ownership) for ponying up with mature technological capacity in the present. Please don't squander the opportunity, Liberty!

Thank you for your time.

Scott, I hope this exciting great opportunity that you anticipate sharing on July 23 or 24, 2007 addresses quality concerns in addition to just quantity and price.

Free is a four letter word that starts with "F".

It will never happen, but here is what I would like to see. I would like to see some latitude and understanding by management of the sat service that a consumer should have a reasonable option if the consumer is terribly dis-satisfied with the service. I would prefer a purchase option with month-to-moth programming "rental" fees. In my mind, that is preferable to a "free" offer that includes a multi-year service contract with a sky-high opt-out clause. If they insist on a multi-year service contract with a sky-high opt-out clause... then the opt-out clause should include a purchase option with resale option.

It will never happen.
-------------------------------------------------
Hsa there been any visible tangible evidence that the management and new ownership of the sat service have considered consideration of the consumer's preferences recently?

Thank you for your time.

DirecTV's MPEG4 Locals that I get look JUST AS GOOD as they do via Over The Air.

Thats gives me great hope about the HD future of DirecTV's HD service. :)

I'd have hope too if they weren't converting the Mpeg4 version of NESNHD(I call it NESNSD Widescreen as that's what it looks like) to 720p. Makes me wonder if they'll do more of this "converting" in the future.

Folks this a an amazing deal offer for new DirecTV customers, not Scott posts and offer fixes all of DirecTV's picture quality issues and find world peace. :)

Im good but not THAT good. :D :D

As far as future HD on DirecTV goes, DirecTV is staking its future on HDTV, its up to them not to screw it up. :D

I'd have hope too if they weren't converting the Mpeg4 version of NESNHD(I call it NESNSD Widescreen as that's what it looks like) to 720p. Makes me wonder if they'll do more of this "converting" in the future.

It does? I know they are outputting at 720p but calling it SD is not anywhere near accurate. It looks pretty darn good on my 4 HDTV's. The best, no but come on. Go watch the SD version for a bit and let me know if they are same.

Great Timing

I hope to have the full details up on Mondy or Tuesday. I just got wind of this special offer for SatelliteGuys members this afternoon.

They are still working on the special landing page for us to get this offer. Again this will be the best deal ANYWHERE for new customers on DirecTV.

I love saving you guys money! :)

Scott,

I have been thinking about moving from Comcast to DTV for the last year. I was all set to sign up last night for the "premier package" w/ NFLST but decided to do a few searches before I actually hit signed the deal. Boy, am I glad that I came here first. I had DTV about 5 years ago but when we moved I went with Comcast because of the cable modem package. Things have changed drastically since then with DTV and I am excited as ever with the new offerings. I will definitely wait to see your posting next week. I am a definite buyer (my wifes name this time) and I will definitely go through you when I do next week. I will be monitoring your site daily to see what you come up with. Thanks so much for your help. I can't wait to catch all of the games this year on my big ole' 55 inch Hitachi. :hungry:

Jarhead

Scott,

The details for this offer will be on the SatGuys front page news section, won't it?

I would not want to miss it by not seeing it if it is just put on as a post or thread.

It does? I know they are outputting at 720p but calling it SD is not anywhere near accurate. It looks pretty darn good on my 4 HDTV's. The best, no but come on. Go watch the SD version for a bit and let me know if they are same.

Not to steal the thread or beleaguer the point but if you watched todays Red Sox game on Fox, THAT was SD widescreen. That was a terrible picture and makes me miss the NESN HD broadcast on Directv. The audio was way off too. Shame on you Fox.

Not to steal the thread or beleaguer the point but if you watched todays Red Sox game on Fox, THAT was SD widescreen. That was a terrible picture and makes me miss the NESN HD broadcast on Directv. The audio was way off too. Shame on you Fox.

Fox rarely looks any better the ED for their regular season stuff. It's only when we get into the crisp autumn nights that their picture actually looks like HD.

Did you see it a few weeks ago when they had it at 1080i? It looked 1000 times better. I think it's very fuzzy and lacks detail currently. If that's the future of D*'s HD then I think the future is bleak.

But perhaps I have a higher standard of what I consider a quality picture than you do.

And yes I've seen SD widescreen that looks about the same as NESN on D*.

DirecTV's MPEG4 Locals that I get look JUST AS GOOD as they do via Over The Air.

Thats gives me great hope about the HD future of DirecTV's HD service. :)
I think thats a poor reason for hope. THose HD locals sit up there on their own spot beam satellites not threatened by the crowding from National channels. And all of the locals are NOT up yet. In any case it is an Apples to Oranges comparison.

I just signed up for Directv on Thursday, installation is 07/27. Should I cancel and wait for this deal? Here's what I got:

Hotpass
$10/mo for 10 months
NFL ST and Superfan

I paid 199 for HR20, which I'm still not all that happy about, but the 10/mo made it a little easier to digest.

Is it the deal they are showing now? Free top package for 4 months when you buy the NFL package?

Hang on tight folks, they are setting up a special webpage for us with all the details, as soon as its ready I will let you guys know. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)