Thinking about switching

Status
Please reply by conversation.

junianby

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Uniontown, PA
I'm thinking about switching to D* from E*. I was wondering what model HDDVR D* is installing now? Anyone with any input please post so I know what I'm getting into if I make the switch. Thanks !!!

The HR20 is what you'd get. While it had many problems at release, it has, through updates, become a pretty good unit, could not tell you how it compares to what you're used to.

I switched from E* to D* a few months ago. I had the VIP622. I now have the
HR20. I prefered the VIP622, but he HR20 isn't bad. I understand that there have been some glitches. I had to do a reset on mine once which isn't bad. The caller ID doesn't work all the time and the "All Channels I Get" doesn't work. I had to set up my own favorites list to get rid of all the stuff that I don't subscribe to. I liked the way the VIP622 worked better. It only showed that channels I could get. It also let me display only the HD channels by just toggling a button.

That being said, I wouldn't let the equipment hold you back. You need to consider the programming and the costs to you. I am happy that I switched. There are some things I miss about E* but there is more that I am happy about with D*. For me, it costs less than E*, I have had better experiences with customer service and I can get MLB EI. I am hoping that the promises for all the new HD come true. E* has more HD, but I didn't watch many of the channels, so I can't say I miss it too much. If D* gets all the promised HD, I will be very happy.

I liked the way the VIP622 worked better. It only showed that channels I could get. .
GG.
You can get ALL these channels, if you want them all.

As for the Caller ID, the majority of people have no trouble with Caller ID, mine has worked flawlessly for 7 months now, but I also know that some are having problems with it.

As for the 622/ HR20-700 debate.
Chances are you got your 622 after all the bugs were worked out of it.
The -700 is brand new and D* is working diligently to clear up any issues , they have done a great job as the majority of them have been addressed already, but as always there's always something.

fwiw, I have had very few problem in the 7 months I've had mine

Jimbo

GG.
You can get ALL these channels, if you want them all.

As for the Caller ID, the majority of people have no trouble with Caller ID, mine has worked flawlessly for 7 months now, but I also know that some are having problems with it.

As for the 622/ HR20-700 debate.
Chances are you got your 622 after all the bugs were worked out of it.
The -700 is brand new and D* is working diligently to clear up any issues , they have done a great job as the majority of them have been addressed already, but as always there's always something.

fwiw, I have had very few problem in the 7 months I've had mine

Jimbo

Of course you can get all channels, but I am only interested in the ones that I actually subscribe to. I found the 622 worked better in displaying this.

Caller ID may work for you, but I found it doesn't work all the time for me. I see others are having problems, so it is a bug. I did not have problems with the 622 with caller ID.

As far as when I got the 622, it was when they first came out so I have had it from the start.

I will also add that I prefer the 30 second skip on the 622.

Having used both boxes, I have found the 622 to be better. The HR20 is not bad, I just found the 622 worked better for me.

As far as switching services, I don't think there are enough differences with the boxes to make that the primary decision maker. I recommend that anyone interested in switching, review the progamming packages and the costs to decide what will work best for them.

Of course you can get all channels, but I am only interested in the ones that I actually subscribe to. I found the 622 worked better in displaying this.

Caller ID may work for you, but I found it doesn't work all the time for me. I see others are having problems, so it is a bug. I did not have problems with the 622 with caller ID.

As far as when I got the 622, it was when they first came out so I have had it from the start.

I will also add that I prefer the 30 second skip on the 622.

Having used both boxes, I have found the 622 to be better. The HR20 is not bad, I just found the 622 worked better for me.

As far as switching services, I don't think there are enough differences with the boxes to make that the primary decision maker. I recommend that anyone interested in switching, review the progamming packages and the costs to decide what will work best for them.

Your "as for switching services" advice, I agree 100%
Refresh my mind as I have never had the 622, is it TIVO based ?
There have been many that are use to the TIVO that do not like the HR20-700, due to the different layouts and features are not the same, of course IF they were , It'would BE a TIVO. There are a lot of items that had to be changed due to TIVO patents ...

Jimbo

Jimbo,

I have never used a TIVO, so I can't really say how the 622 compares to it. I imagine E* is trying to not be too much like TIVO as they have been fighting with them in the courts on patents.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts