Thinking about upgrading to HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

grampi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Ohio
I'm thinking about upgrading my service/equipment to HD. The receiver I'm looking at is the one with the built-in HD DVR. I noticed DTV has a $4.99 monthly lease fee. If I'm replacing an existing receiver with an HD receiver, is the $4.99 fee already covered by the lease fee I'm currently paying for the receiver I have now? Is there anything else I should be considering before I decide to upgrade? What are the pros and cons (if any) of upgrading besides the obvious things?

Yes the 4.99 extra reciever fee and the lease fee are the same thing. They just call them different things so they can continue to guage you out of money. But no you bill in that aspect wont change.

Remember your signing your life away for another 2 years by getting the hddvr.

Enjoy the HD!

Yes the 4.99 extra reciever fee and the lease fee are the same thing. They just call them different things so they can continue to guage you out of money. But no you bill in that aspect wont change.

Remember your signing your life away for another 2 years by getting the hddvr.

Enjoy the HD!

WOW ....
Nothing like showing your hate for D* there Stonecold.

Lets see, as far as I can tell, the Addl. rec. fee is the same with DISH and many other TV providers .... that said, it would be nice if you didn't have an addl. fee for rec's, but then, lets just all have free TV, that would be nice too.

Many people don't mind the 2 yr commitment, me for one, I'm not going anywhere.

Jimbo

I did not say dish was innocent either.

4.99 lease fee makes sense

4.99 mirror fee never made sense.

Dish, DTV , SkY they all do they are all guilty of a mindless money grab.

Well some people dont always know about the 2 year bit, dish, direct often neglect to say anything.

Dish is not all sunshine and lolipops either never made that claim or will I ever.

Stonecold

Now that you mentioned it, I shouldn't have to pay the fee at all because I'd be replacing my MAIN receiver, not an additional one. I don't currently pay the $4.99 fee for my main receiver, so why would I have to pay the fee for its replacement receiver?

Stonecold

Now that you mentioned it, I shouldn't have to pay the fee at all because I'd be replacing my MAIN receiver, not an additional one. I don't currently pay the $4.99 fee for my main receiver, so why would I have to pay the fee for its replacement receiver?

IF this is your 1st rec. then YES it would be free.

And as far as the 2 year contract thing goes, it's not a problem. I don't plan on getting rid of my DTV service within the next 2 years.

Note that going from a non-DVR to a DVR will incur a DVR fee of $5.99 (or a package change). Going to HD also incurs a $10 HD Access fee (or a package change).

Note that changing your primary receiver out may or may not result in a package update.

As stonecold points out, there is also the wildly popular 24 month commitment with $20/month ETF.

Note that going from a non-DVR to a DVR will incur a DVR fee of $5.99 (or a package change). Going to HD also incurs a $10 HD Access fee (or a package change).

Note that changing your primary receiver out may or may not result in a package update.

As stonecold points out, there is also the wildly popular 24 month commitment with $20/month ETF.

I was aware of the $9.99 HD service fee and the $5.99 DVR service fee, I was only questioning weather or not I'd have to pay the $4.99 lease fee, which I shouldn't since the new receiver would be replacing my main receiver.

I was aware of the $9.99 HD service fee and the $5.99 DVR service fee, I was only questioning weather or not I'd have to pay the $4.99 lease fee, which I shouldn't since the new receiver would be replacing my main receiver.

One receiver is always included in the base monthly package charge, be it leased or purchased.

Just making sure as you didn't mention anything about it in your OP and it hadn't been otherwise discussed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)