This is just wrong...

This would be the equivalent of selling:

Bruins/Canadiens/Leafs license plates in Buffalo

Islanders plates in N.Y.C.

Michigan plates in Ohio and vice-versa

My state of WV allows out of state, as long as the college involved does not charge for the logo (the state splits the extra fee with the "sponsor" which is the local alumni chapter) and they can sell 200 plates. We only have Virginia Tech and Penn State. Some other states that do this are Virginia, which has over 60 out of state colleges, NC which has about the same, and Pennsylvania. Along with Gerorgia, which has nearly 400.

The college with which I am associated has requested alumni plates from both Kentucky and Ohio, but both will only do in-state schools. We do have Virginia and are working on NC.

It seems confusing to the cops or hit and run witnesses, because, it is a Georgia North Carolina alumni plate or a North Carolina Georgia alumni plate? But then again, Kentucky has an Ohio County and it puts it county names on the plates.

Reading their website, I like what NC does. The money for alumni plates from out of state and private schools goes to the scholarship fund of the University System (which is the general over-all system of state colleges, not just the one in Chapel Hill). So if you buy a Duke or Georgia Tech or Penn State plate in NC, you are helping kids attend UNC or NC State and so on.

My state of WV allows out of state, as long as the college involved does not charge for the logo (the state splits the extra fee with the "sponsor" which is the local alumni chapter) and they can sell 200 plates. We only have Virginia Tech and Penn State.

You're from West Virginia, yet you always bash their football team.

Who are your favorite teams?

West Virginia: A state of almost 2 million people, located south of Pennsylvania and Maryland, east of Ohio and Kentucky, and north and west of Virginia.

West Virginia U: One of 27 state colleges in WV. Located 3 miles from the Pennsylvania border. About 16K on-campus students, 65% of those from out of state, drawn by virtually open admissions and heavily subsidized out-of-state tuition.

WVU does not equal WV.

And I don't "bash"WVU, I just point out that beating Rutgers, Louisville, and Syracuse is insignificant compared to beating legitimate programs found the legitimate BcS conferences and the fundamental stupidity of a system that forces us to equate what it does with what teams that do not play 12 cupcakes do.

It's a license plate. Big deal.

People shouldn't be allowed to support their school if they reside in a different state? :confused:

That's what license plate frames are for. Ie......

2350_big.jpg

Personally, I think it's a bit awkward for state supplied plates to plug an out of state school/team.

That's what license plate frames are for. Ie......

2350_big.jpg

Personally, I think it's a bit awkward for state supplied plates to plug an out of state school/team.

Exactly !!!!

I have a Detroit Red Wings license plate frame that I use during the season and I'm from OH- IO.

I would not go out and get a Detroit Red Wings License Plate to use as my normal OHIO plate.

They do make team plates to place on your vehicle outside of your official LP.

Jimbo

In Virginia we have an incredible array of special plates including a lot of out of state universities---Penn State and Notre Dame come to mind. Basically if a group can prove that enough plates will be offered (I don't know the number) they are made available.

My understanding is that the state raises a lot of revenue this way so what is the real objection?

edit: I found a link saying that they need 350 pid applications to add school or cause to the list of those available.

BTW I am not interested in this for any college team but if they had Red Sox plates i would consider it.

We even seemk to have a plate for jimmy Buffet fans http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/exec/vehicle/splates/info.asp?idnm=PRTHD

seems sily to me but if you want to pay the extra fee feel free.

Last edited:
In Virginia we have an incredible array of special plates including a lot of out of state universities---Penn State and Notre Dame come to mind. Basically if a group can prove that enough plates will be offered (I don't know the number) they are made available.

My understanding is that the state raises a lot of revenue this way so what is the real objection?

Exactly.

seems sily to me but if you want to pay the extra fee feel free.

Exactly again.

It's a license plate. Big deal.

People shouldn't be allowed to support their school if they reside in a different state? :confused:

It can just be kind of "in your face" at times, if you know what I mean. For example, I'm sure the fine people of Ohio wouldn't care to see my LSU Tigers on their home plates after this years BCS. They flip me off enough with my personalized "TIGER B8" and LSU hitch cover as it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)