This is so awesome!

Everything i need with the new uhf antenna, plus the joiner and pre amp will run me about 115 dollars.
what exactly are you going to use for a pre-amp and joiner?
This is the joiner I was talking about
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...-Separator/Combiner-for-Antenna-(UVSJ)&q=uvsj

I see the antenna you have is a VHF Low/Hi/UHF one.

As for the pre-amp there is a RCA model that has separate VHF & UHF inputs (there is a switch to select separate antennas or a combo unit)
I got mine at Menards here in MN but I see solid signal carries them too
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...ATVPRAMP1R)&c=Pre-Amplifiers&sku=044476071669

The HDB8X says the radius is 60 plus miles uhf. So by the time the baton rouge new channels launch i should have this up.
How far are you from the BR stations? I dont think I've seen your tv fool report.

The Pre Amp is 27.99. The joiner was a wingard cc8870, but since yours is 5.49, i go with that. As for the tv fool report ita crazy where i live.. the only baton rouge Stations showing up are KPBN, WBTR, and another but if i put in a address 2 miles east from my address WBXH and WLFT come in at 68 to 72 miles. If your are correct about my rca antenna that is the reason i cant get 7 and 9 good. We'll see what transpires when i get the the 8 bay and a few weeks

iceburg, i did 3 addresses on the road i live on
205 public road rayne, la 70578
407 public road rayne, la 70578
145 public road rayne, la 70578

what i did is tvfool them and what I seen as for the low power is weird and all stations show in the gray area (takes extreme measures to get)
the 407 shows wbxh and wlft, kbtr, kpbn
the 145 shows wlft and kpbn, kbtr, kpbn
well mine 205 shows just the kpbn

Check the addresses the road meets at La 35 and goes to meet derby road that is 6/10ths of a mile long.
I dont get it how at the end of the road those 4 show up, i am stuck about halfway and one shows up and towards the state highway those channels shows up.
WBXH, WLFT, KPBN, KBTR are all low power and are 65-72 miles from 205 public road......:coco

Look for your self and see, so weird

1 or 2 miles away, even down to the block you live on are NOT good enough.

Bring up Google maps. https://www.google.com/maps

On the bottom left-hand corner, click on the little "Earth" box to switch it to satellite view.

Scroll and find your house, ZOOM in on it, and find the exact place you want to put your antenna. Then, put the TIP of the mouse pointer on that exact spot, and do a RIGHT-click. It'll bring up a little menu. Click on "What's Here?", and you will see an address (might be wrong, depending on Google) BUT, you'll also see your EXACT coordinates! Use the TVfool link I posted above, and switch it to use coordinates. Type the ones from the map into their locations, put say 25ft in the bottom box for antenna height, and click on "Find Local Channels" button.

Now, you'll have your exact results, to the foot on your OWN property.

The Pre Amp is 27.99. The joiner was a wingard cc8870, but since yours is 5.49, i go with that.
the one you posted (the 7870) combines two antennas together but you'll have signal loss. The one I posted is specifically designed for 2 separate antennas. You wont get any UHF from the existing antenna using the joiner I linked to

1 or 2 miles away, even down to the block you live on are NOT good enough.

Bring up Google maps. https://www.google.com/maps

On the bottom left-hand corner, click on the little "Earth" box to switch it to satellite view.

Scroll and find your house, ZOOM in on it, and find the exact place you want to put your antenna. Then, put the TIP of the mouse pointer on that exact spot, and do a RIGHT-click. It'll bring up a little menu. Click on "What's Here?", and you will see an address (might be wrong, depending on Google) BUT, you'll also see your EXACT coordinates! Use the TVfool link I posted above, and switch it to use coordinates. Type the ones from the map into their locations, put say 25ft in the bottom box for antenna height, and click on "Find Local Channels" button.

Now, you'll have your exact results, to the foot on your OWN property.

I just use this site for lat/long
http://www.latlong.net/convert-address-to-lat-long.html

But yeah even block level can be goofy. I'm looking at places and one address shows a station as LOS but 2 blocks over (city blocks) its 2edge

I just use this site for lat/long
http://www.latlong.net/convert-address-to-lat-long.html

But yeah even block level can be goofy. I'm looking at places and one address shows a station as LOS but 2 blocks over (city blocks) its 2edge

That latlong.net link doesn't give the exact map coordinates for my house by typing in the address. It seems to use the same database that Google uses, which is slightly off (almost 1/4 mile actually, for my house). The Google maps method I outline above however, gives exact coordinates, because you manually zoom down on your house.

Now, I'm not saying that everybody's coordinates would be off like mine are, but maybe they could be, and that could make a big difference in showing what you can get.

the one you posted (the 7870) combines two antennas together but you'll have signal loss. The one I posted is specifically designed for 2 separate antennas. You wont get any UHF from the existing antenna using the joiner I linked to
So what your saying is when I connect the 8 bay and the antenna i currently have, the only channels that will come out the present one is 7, 9, and 10 with the rest coming out the 8 bay.

A lot of GPS units and programs will make the coordinates available to you if you dig down deep enough.

That latlong.net link doesn't give the exact map coordinates for my house by typing in the address. It seems to use the same database that Google uses, which is slightly off (almost 1/4 mile actually, for my house). The Google maps method I outline above however, gives exact coordinates, because you manually zoom down on your house.

Now, I'm not saying that everybody's coordinates would be off like mine are, but maybe they could be, and that could make a big difference in showing what you can get.

ok this is weird
I used your technique and got the location
used the lat/longitude and it found my house but the coordinates are off by a smidge
HA! figured it out. Google does the actual house but lat/long is at the end of the driveway....which is 200 feet long

did a tvfool for both and ironically the driveway gives **slightly** better numbers than the house (like 18.6 vs 17.6 and 15.5 vs 14.7)

Iceburg is this your channel lineup too. I went to cajunfirst website clicked tv schedule put in Alexandria Minnesota zip and the translators had all kinds of goodies. The tv fool is at the bottom. All them in green is from KSTP, WCUW, and more.

Attachments

• Radar-All (1).png
    Radar-All (1).png
    59.3 KB · Views: 126
Here is mine. Now WBXH, WLFT and WBTR does not show up, they show up in the grey area at 110 Derby Lane which is 5/10ths of a mile up the road. Those 3 channels are between 65.8 and 72. 1 miles from my home. If they are in the grey will the 8 bay get them. KPBN shows up at the bottom. Oh and I suppose the station number below REAL is what i get on the vhf and on the 8 bay when set up

Attachments

• Radar-All (2).png
    Radar-All (2).png
    69 KB · Views: 130
Iceburg is this your channel lineup too. I went to cajunfirst website clicked tv schedule put in Alexandria Minnesota zip and the translators had all kinds of goodies. The tv fool is at the bottom. All them in green is from KSTP, WCUW, and more.

Nope. Alex is 70 miles away. I've posted my tvfool a few times including earlier in the thread. That is selective TV which has been around for decades. They take donations to keep it running. 100 bucks a year. 7 and 42 are not part of that. Those are owned by CBS (7) and Hubbard (42)

As noted on the tvfool site anything in grey is really hit and miss. Don't expect miracles. The first column of numbers on tvfool. Anything below zero is Not guaranteed you'll even get a picture.

Will you possibly get something? Maybe. But again don't expect mitacles

Off TV Fool, Under Channel on left row is real. When the antenna is setup those numbers under REAL will come out of the respective antenna i.e KLFY 10 will come out on the vhf antenna and KLAF 46 will come out from the 8Bay uhf. Secondly under signalthere is the row with nm (db) as long as any are not in the MINUS I will get them. If thats the case I wont get the grit, escape and get tv out of Baton Rouge, I been picking up the get affiliate alot eventhough its antenna is 1287 feet lower than KLFY's. :(, Then I'll get upset and:shh, yeah leave that alone but like you said turn the vhf boom west to kplc then ill be set up when grit launches in January:);):D:birthday

1. Yes. Whatever actual channel they broadcast on that is what antenna will pick it up. You have one local vhf and that is 10.

2. The tvfool numbers are just a reference. The lower the number the harder it is to pick up. will you possibly get something that shows negative? Yes
will you possibly not get something that shows in the positive? Yes

Below plus 10 nm is a crap shoot. Looking at my tvfool it says K48if is the easiest for me to pick up. however it's the hardest for me to pick up. Yet I can get KSAX 42 rather easily.....even though it shows negative 20 on the Tvfool.

1. Yes. Whatever actual channel they broadcast on that is what antenna will pick it up. You have one local vhf and that is 10.

2. The tvfool numbers are just a reference. The lower the number the harder it is to pick up. will you possibly get something that shows negative? Yes
will you possibly not get something that shows in the positive? Yes

Below plus 10 nm is a crap shoot. Looking at my tvfool it says K48if is the easiest for me to pick up. however it's the hardest for me to pick up. Yet I can get KSAX 42 rather easily.....even though it shows negative 20 on the Tvfool.
Ok thanks what i will do is print out the tv fool at the address then when i set up everything I move the antenna accordingly. Thanks so much for the tips. Oh sorry about the last set of emoticons, i hit it by accident

Ok thanks what i will do is print out the tv fool at the address then when i set up everything I move the antenna accordingly.
do you have a converter box that you can use when you set it up to aim the antenna?
Thats what I do when I wanted to aim for Minneapolis. Take the converter box and 7" TV up with me on the roof :)

Thanks so much for the tips. Oh sorry about the last set of emoticons, i hit it by accident
dont worry. It was a pain to remove them on my phone when responding. They dont delete when you tell it to ;)

I see the locals are spread out. But seeing the tvfool I'd aim it ENE for Baton Rouge stations. The full power locals are NW of you but so strong the antenna should pick them up on the backside. Your 2 LP stations (22, 32) are in same vicinity direction as Baton Rouge..

Aim it East and start from there. Once you get it how you like it, then work on the VHF. Remember the VHF doesnt need to be aimed the same direction as the UHF ;)

do you have a converter box that you can use when you set it up to aim the antenna?
Thats what I do when I wanted to aim for Minneapolis. Take the converter box and 7" TV up with me on the roof :)

dont worry. It was a pain to remove them on my phone when responding. They dont delete when you tell it to ;)

I see the locals are spread out. But seeing the tvfool I'd aim it ENE for Baton Rouge stations. The full power locals are NW of you but so strong the antenna should pick them up on the backside. Your 2 LP stations (22, 32) are in same vicinity direction as Baton Rouge..

Aim it East and start from there. Once you get it how you like it, then work on the VHF. Remember the VHF doesnt need to be aimed the same direction as the UHF ;)
The 4 locals are right over the tree line line. That includes the satellite pbs feed klpb. The 22, 32, 50, tower is 18 miles east. Then I keep complaing for more when I have 20 sitting less than 20 miles in my face. My plans were to face the uhf towards baton rouge between 75° and 93, which is relevant to what you just said ENE and take the vhf and face the wing part at 283° which faces KPLC, I plan on ordering it tomorrow hoping it comes in before next friday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts