Those extra two minutes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

whitesoxfan

Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
I am trying to keep up with all of my wife's shows and ran across a situation that I need some help on. On my second HR20, I only have one satellite feed and one OTA feed. I try not to use the OTA unless I have to because I am at the far end on the reception range. I set up the DVR to tape both "Dancing with the Stars" and "Journeyman" tonight over the satellite. According to the guide "DWS" goes until 9:02 and "Journeyman" starts at 9:00. The DVR let me schedule both. My old Tivo DVR would call this a conflict and not allow both to be scheduled. Since I do not want my wife to possibly miss one minute of "DWS" I set it up OTA. What would have happened if I left both of the shows set up over the satellite? Is the HR20 smart enough to cut one show off 2 minutes early or start the second show 2 minutes late?

You can manually set each recording to begin or end before or after the default guide setting.
but does that effect how many recordingss you can have? example; you set a program to record from 7:00 - 8:00 and because you know a different channel starts early, you set it to start at 7:58 - 9:00 and duting that time you are watching another program... what happens?

You will get a message at 7:57 or so, asking to either cancel your 7:58 recording, or allow the recorder to change channel to record from the channel you are currently watching. Even though the recorder has 2 SAT and 2 off air tuners, you can only tune 2 things at a time. If you are recording 2 things at once, you either have to watch one of them, or watch a previously recorded show.

but does that effect how many recordingss you can have? example; you set a program to record from 7:00 - 8:00 and because you know a different channel starts early, you set it to start at 7:58 - 9:00 and duting that time you are watching another program... what happens?

The recorder will ask what you want to do when that overlapping time gets there, either delete or miss the ability to change channels for those few minutes.

Jimbo

I am trying to keep up with all of my wife's shows and ran across a situation that I need some help on. On my second HR20, I only have one satellite feed and one OTA feed. I try not to use the OTA unless I have to because I am at the far end on the reception range. I set up the DVR to tape both "Dancing with the Stars" and "Journeyman" tonight over the satellite. According to the guide "DWS" goes until 9:02 and "Journeyman" starts at 9:00. The DVR let me schedule both. My old Tivo DVR would call this a conflict and not allow both to be scheduled. Since I do not want my wife to possibly miss one minute of "DWS" I set it up OTA. What would have happened if I left both of the shows set up over the satellite? Is the HR20 smart enough to cut one show off 2 minutes early or start the second show 2 minutes late?

The HR20 would record both shows, but you would not have the option to change channels at that time.

Jimbo

If you do nothing and leave them overlapped, the box will use the prioritizer to decide what to do - whichever one you have set as the highest priority will get recorded for those two minutes.

When you're on the List page (or is it the To Do list?), there is an option in the left hand menu to go to the prioritizer, where you can change those settings.

If you do nothing and leave them overlapped, the box will use the prioritizer to decide what to do - whichever one you have set as the highest priority will get recorded for those two minutes.

When you're on the List page (or is it the To Do list?), there is an option in the left hand menu to go to the prioritizer, where you can change those settings.
soooo, i guess if u have a wife and want to purchase any furure toys then it is mandatory to set the wife's shows with a higher priority

soooo, i guess if u have a wife and want to purchase any furure toys then it is mandatory to set the wife's shows with a higher priority

Yes, highly recommended. :)

Of course, mine tends to watch and record some of her shows (HGTV) in the bedroom, so that helps us a little with the DVR battles... but for the most part we have the same priorities and few, if any, conflicts where we have three shows on at the same time.

It won't record both for the overlapping two minutes if he only has one sat feed going into the box... right?

Oh, yes, if he only has one feed to the box he can't record two things , that said, he may not get the conflict, I don't know, I don't have that set up so I cannot try it.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)