Tigers vs Cardinals in world series

I have, and all baseball analysts, (I only listen to the ones who have played the game), have predicted all year long, that no NL team could take any AL team in the world series. I still feel that way!

Also, the only national media that thought the Tigers would get there was Steve Phillips, I don't know if he played or not, but I have always liked what he has to say. He was the Mets GM awhile back.

Jimbo

Check the odds out of Vegas, we have become huge favorites.

Provided we can knock off the rust in time ...
I hear that Zoom, Zoom is 100 percent healthy now.
Casey still questionable ....

If I were Leyland, I would put Casey on the roster regardless, he may be able to help more in the later games ... also I have not heard him say anything about bringing Shelton in for 1b incase Casey can't go.... I really would rather have Guillen at short where he's a stud than at 1b.
I'd rather have Pudge at 1b than move Gullen there again, let Vance Wilson catch, although Pudge does have the pitching going strong, so maybe thats not a wise move either....

Jimbo

Well Jimbo, this thread, 424 posts later, has come full circle. In your wildest dreams would you have thought that? (Check your opening post.) How crazy would be if we sweep them again? Casey is now thought to be probable for the series. Zumaya is listed as 100%. This very good news. It will be interesting to see how the Card's handle our staff of power arms and junkballers. I hope the team is stillhot after this long layoff.
GO TIGERS!!!!!

I went back and reread this thread, (Iknow, just have nothing better to do at this time of day) interesting reading. Funny to see some of the football comments pop up again in other threads. Kinda like deja vu. It's nice to remienice.

paul, thnaks for the invite. can we change the name of the thread to tigers vs cardinals in world series??? or something like that. and to repeat my post in a other thread... it was said cardinalds backed into the playoffs(we did) no way we would beat the padrees( we did) the mighty mets, not a chance, we won!! will we beat the tigers???? PLAY BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!

in reading the first several post:: PUROGAMER, you will take crawford over pujols??? hope you dont want to become a GM!!! he is playing with a bad hammy but still the BEST in the game!!!

and great first post full circle like you said, with a new outcome this time!!!!

Last edited:
With the Tigers in the World Series I feel like a little 12 year old kid again. I remember going to Tiger Stadium when I was 9 for the first time. It was against the A's, and Cecil Fielder hit a left roof clearing home run, out of the ball park!

I went to a few Dozen games at Tiger Stadium since that one, and remember having to sit behind one of the vertical colums a couple of times, blocking my view of half the game. I also remember the men's restroom. Just like Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, they had Trough's for urinals.

But what had me hooked on the Tigers after that first game, was the electricity all over the ball park. I remember walking through the concourse, and everywhere you walked, you heard Ernie Harwell's voice calling the game, because every vendor had him tuned in and blasting loudly on their radio. Even the janitors and cleaning people walked around with radio's hanging off of their carts or around their necks blasting Ernie. The whole world seemed to be in love with the Tigers, and I fell in love with them too!

I had that feeling again when I was at game 3 of the ALCS. Everybody was friends with each other, even if you were complete strangers!

I hope that they can pull off this World series win, because in the last few years, it just has not been the same going to games. I want my kids to get that same feeling I had when I was a kid, and watch them fall in love with the Tigers!

Go Tigers!

Well Jimbo, this thread, 424 posts later, has come full circle. In your wildest dreams would you have thought that? (Check your opening post.) How crazy would be if we sweep them again? Casey is now thought to be probable for the series. Zumaya is listed as 100%. This very good news. It will be interesting to see how the Card's handle our staff of power arms and junkballers. I hope the team is stillhot after this long layoff.
GO TIGERS!!!!!

I didn't realize that this was the same thread till you mentioned it.
Man is this thing OLD , and they just keep on winning :) :up

Jimbo

You sparked some of my memories from Tiger Stadium. I remember going to the games as a kid and watching Norm Cash take batting practice. I remember Dick Mcauliffe hitting a foul ball into the stands and the ball hit this lady sitting right in front of me. She had to be taken away by ambulance. I remember one game in the early 60's where some fans in the stands were throwing spark plugs at the opposing players on the field. Talk about a tough croud!!! My favorite memory is when the croud in the stands would rise off their seats and bang their seats up and down to get the rally going. Some of the best fans ever are in Detroit. :D Oh yeah, and my Dad would always take his radio to the game. That used to drive me crazy ... lol

With the Tigers in the World Series I feel like a little 12 year old kid again. I remember going to Tiger Stadium when I was 9 for the first time. It was against the A's, and Cecil Fielder hit a left roof clearing home run, out of the ball park!

I went to a few Dozen games at Tiger Stadium since that one, and remember having to sit behind one of the vertical colums a couple of times, blocking my view of half the game. I also remember the men's restroom. Just like Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, they had Trough's for urinals.

But what had me hooked on the Tigers after that first game, was the electricity all over the ball park. I remember walking through the concourse, and everywhere you walked, you heard Ernie Harwell's voice calling the game, because every vendor had him tuned in and blasting loudly on their radio. Even the janitors and cleaning people walked around with radio's hanging off of their carts or around their necks blasting Ernie. The whole world seemed to be in love with the Tigers, and I fell in love with them too!

I had that feeling again when I was at game 3 of the ALCS. Everybody was friends with each other, even if you were complete strangers!

I hope that they can pull off this World series win, because in the last few years, it just has not been the same going to games. I want my kids to get that same feeling I had when I was a kid, and watch them fall in love with the Tigers!

Go Tigers!

Last edited:
The only way I could see that happening if for some reason they had a fire or something at Comerica park that would prevent the world series from being played in Detroit, kind of like what happened at Oakland when they had the earthquake back around 1989.

Not that I would want that to happen, but I think the Stadium deserves one final world series game before facing the wrecking ball..

Besides that, Mike Illitch would make out since Tiger Stadium will hold about 55,000 people where Comerica parks holds about 42,000

wow, they have not tor it down yet?? what is the delay?

First of all, there are alot of people like myself who would like to preserve the old ball park, however at the same time see a need for a new facility. By not tearing it down immediatly, there was no protest from all the historic groups and people who wanted to save the old stadium.

In addition, there was simply no need to do it, the city has a huge inventory of vacant buildings, abandoned buildings and empty lots.

Your basically taking of an area of about 1-2 city blocks, the city owns more property behind my store than they do at Michigan and Trumbell.

Why spend millions to tear it down if the land cannot be put to any good use. The other thing you got to consider is the land is worth more with the stadium than it is if it was just an empty field. Nobody wants to build down where the old stadium is located.

There have been several discussions, one was to build a Wall Mart, the other was to convert the stadium into lofts and the other one was the tear down the stadium, preserve the field as a park and then build condos around it.

I think the loft idea would be a very cool, especially with the view of the old field, it would truely be unique. They are actually going to go with the condo idea, but in all honestly it would not be the same as having a loft in old tiger stadium. The only thing that made the city decide to go with the condo idea is because they can make money off of it since they are on the edge of going into receivership from the state.

The other thing I should mention is that Detroit should have renovated the old stadium like they are doing with Feinway park in Boston, and just kept on improving the place. The only issue is that its in an economically depressed part of the city and it makes more sense to have the stadium down town

One thing I should mention is that they did one hell of a Job when they built Comerica Park to keep the same tyoe of look and feel of a historic ballpark like Tiger Stadium.

Eventhough there was some bad seats, I do miss the look and feel of the old stadium with the look of the upper stands with the big support beams holding everything together.

I remember walking into the seating area for the first time in 1963, all that beautiful green grass, the smell of hot dogs and beer, and the electricity in the air. Seeing your heroes in person for the first time, banging balls into the seats during batting practice. Indelible images for a 5 year old. Favorite memory after that: Mr. October (Reggie Jackson) hitting a line drive into the light tower above the right field roof in the 1971 all star game. Never seen a ball hit that hard before or since. What I don't miss were all the freaking posts blocking your view, the long lines at the concession stands and bathrooms. Another great memory was meeting Cal Ripken and shaking his hand inside the visitor's clubhouse after his last game in Tiger stadium. All I could say to him was "Thank You, Mr. Ripken." That man truelly was a credit to the game.

Welcome, Dantheman77. Glad you joined us. By the way the Tigers follow a similar path to the series. Lost our last 5 games. 12-1 odds on winning the series before the playoffs, prohibitive odds on beating the Yankme's, and yet here we are. Now we're 2-1 favorites. Go figure.
GO TIGERS!!!

Welcome, Dantheman77. Glad you joined us. By the way the Tigers follow a similar path to the series. Lost our last 5 games. 12-1 odds on winning the series before the playoffs, prohibitive odds on beating the Yankme's, and yet here we are. Now we're 2-1 favorites. Go figure.
GO TIGERS!!!

Thank you fron the invite Paul. Yes, you guys came into the playoffs like us too. Underdogs in both, we went on to beat the best pitching in the NL (Padres, lowest team era) then best hitting team in the NL(Mets batting avg) and we are still underdogs, though i would have to agree with that. Im glad we play the games !!

GO CARDINALS!!

BTW- two rookies face off in game one. Last WS we faced eachother we had a furture HOF in the great Bob Gibson and a 31 game winner in Denny McClain.
I like our game 1 chances better in 68!

Claude, thanks for thr info, did not know that. it would seem to me leaving the stadium vacent for so long would lead to vandail and problems like that. well you will still have the field so thats nice. our former site is just a vacant lot. we are suppose to have a BALLPARK VILLAGE with condos, hotels retail ect. but now the Cardinals are asking for more public money to build it. Gee, never saw that comming! lol

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)