Tigers vs Cardinals in world series

The other thing I should mention is that Detroit should have renovated the old stadium like they are doing with Feinway park in Boston, and just kept on improving the place. The only issue is that its in an economically depressed part of the city and it makes more sense to have the stadium down town

Illitch would have never done that. Just like the new generations of Sports Franchise owners all over the country, they realize if they build their own stadium for their own team, then they can make money off of the other venues that use it. Concerts, and other shows for example.

This is why Ford made Ford Field enclosed for the detroit Lions. A lot of die-hard Lions fans wanted to have an open stadium like Chicago and Greenbay. Detroit used to play football in Tiger Stadium for their entire existence, until the early 80's when they moved into the Silverdome.

Ford said it was too cold for Detroit to have an outdoor football stadium. That was B.S. He wanted to use the stadium for concerts, Monster truck series', and WWF wrestling. It puts more money in his pockets.

Illitch never owned Tiger Stadium, the city did, and still does. So Illitch was paying the city 1$ per year for renting the stadium for his team to play in it. The city got 50% of the profits from the seats, and Illitch got all the profits from vending, and he paid for the upkeep. This is the same deal he has with the Red Wings playing in the Joe Louis. This is also why he wants a new arena for them to play in.

His plan is to build a new Ice arena for the Wings behind Fox Theatre, then he will own those 6 city blocks with the Ice Arena, Comerica Park, and Fox Theatre.

One thing I should mention is that they did one hell of a Job when they built Comerica Park to keep the same tyoe of look and feel of a historic ballpark like Tiger Stadium.

I love Comerica! It sure beats watching a game at Tiger Stadium as far as not having obstructed views, and crowded seating, concourses, an restrooms. Comerica is "comfy".

I also love the statues of the Great Tigers Players!

Well Cardinals are getting ALL the breaks tonight.
Everything the Tigers hit go foul, Tigers better dust of the rust before tommorows game. Everything the Cards hit drop in, looks like it's the Cards night tonight.

Also, Rolan should have been OUT , even though the announces feel other wise.
Inge has ever right to be where he is, he was standing 5 ft outside of the base line.
That was a terrible call by the ump.
Not that it would matter tonight, the Cards jumped on them tonight, they had thier stroke going and the Tigers look like they've had about a week off ..... Oh they have :rolleyes:

Reyes is pitching lights out, this experience will help him greatly in the future.

Jimbo

Last edited:
so much for the sweep! and a big FU to the USA today writter who picked the tigers in 3. yes we did get all the breaks JIMBO, i thought that too. one reason you get the breaks though is great pitching and reyes was lights out!! (as u said) he has had a rocky rookie season to say the least but he has show greatness like he did tonight. in june(i think) he pitched a 1 hitter vs the whitesox, and thats when they were playing great, alas, that 1 hit was a HR and we lost 1-0. as for as rollen play at third, i dont know all the rules of BB but from replays you could see both the third base and home plate umpires were right on top of the play when they made the call they did. hey as you remember and as was talked about before in this thread, in 68 we had a even better pitching performance, gibson WS record 17 k and you still came back to win. so, of course its not over yet. im just glad we are one up, and not one down. however sidekick, that 68 series went 7 games, so i hope you brought some food with you on that limb.

KEEP GOING CARDINALS!!!!!

Last edited:
Tigers were showing the signs of a long layoff. Exactly what I was warning about. I hope the bats come back to life today. I'm sure the pitching will. Hate to say I told you so, about the layoff, but I saw it coming. Besides that, no way were we going to end the season on a 11 game winning streak. Now that the inevitable loss is ouy of the way, we can get back to the task at hand. I still say TIGERS in 5.

after tonight will you say tigers in 6??? lol

i dont know if we will win tonight, but i dont think the first game was, YOU lost, not WE won. meaning dont blame it all on rust and not the fact the cardinals outplayed the tigers in game 1. most on this thread thought you would walk all over the cardinals, after last night i would think you would be a bit more humbel. but the loss was "inevitable," not a ass kicking!!!! LOL

KEEP GOING CARDINALS!!

Last edited:
I have been off for a while and there is 45 pages to this thread. I can't possibly read it all. I watched the first game and was quite stunned that the Cardinals pulled one out of their hats last night. Do I think the Tigers are done? No! Do I think the Cards (Red Birds) have a fair chance now? Yes! Tonights game will be a decisive game... Cards going 2-0 to St. Louis could put a stamp on the series... Tigers need to win tonight!!! I thought that pitching to Pujols (the best pure hitter in the game) when you do not have to was a big mistake last night. I want to see if the Tigers will continue to do so because Pujols will keep embarrassing the Tigers.

I'll agree with you that the Cards won the game, not the Tigers lost the game. It was a very good performance. Regarding the 1968 series, I just don't think the 2006 Card's staff matches up with Gibson, Briles, Carlton and Washburn; whereas the Tiger's pitching is pretty darn good. Plus in 1968, Gibson was a monster! and yes ... I used to be in the scouts, so I have some food with me up on my limb just in case ;)

i dont know if we will win tonight, but i dont think the first game was, YOU lost, not WE won. meaning dont blame it all on rust and not the fact the cardinals outplayed the tigers in game 1. most on this thread thought you would walk all over the cardinals, after last night i would think you would be a bit more humbel. but the loss was "inevitable," not a ass kicking!!!! LOL

KEEP GOING CARDINALS!!

Last edited:
I'll agree with you that the Cards won the game, not the Tigers lost the game. It was a very good performance. Regarding the 1968 series, I just don't think the 2006 Card's staff matches up with Gibson, Briles, Carlton and Washburn; whereas the Tiger's pitching is pretty darn good. Plus in 1968, Gibson was a monster! and yes ... I used to be in the scouts, so I have some food with me up on my limb just in case ;)

LOL, if not i will send u a pizza! as far as pitching, we dont have a bob gibson on our staff, who does? but remember carlton, back then was only good, he was not the superstar he became as a phillie. and yes your pitching is good now, but wouldnt you take mcclain and lolich on your roster now? and about us beating you and you not loosing, thats was for paul.. keep warm on your limb, oh your in la...well breathe well! lol

Tigers were showing the signs of a long layoff. Exactly what I was warning about. I hope the bats come back to life today. I'm sure the pitching will. Hate to say I told you so, about the layoff, but I saw it coming. Besides that, no way were we going to end the season on a 11 game winning streak. Now that the inevitable loss is ouy of the way, we can get back to the task at hand. I still say TIGERS in 5.

The Tigers LONGEST win streak this year was 7, so the Tigers are still looking ok, now they need to start a new streak.

I thought alot could have went diffeent had they gotten the key hit in the 1st inning, that they were so good at during the year, instead of 1 run they could have had 3, but, thats why tyhey play the games .

Jimbo

KEEP GOING CARDINALS!!

I agree with you, I thought Reyes pitched great !!!
Verlander has been OK during the playoffs, he's had his moments of being VERY good, but nothing like during the year.
I thought he threw way too many change ups, he's a power pitcher, had 8 K's mostly on the change, 8k's is his career high, I hope he settles down and pitches better his next game

Jimbo

I have been off for a while and there is 45 pages to this thread. I can't possibly read it all. I watched the first game and was quite stunned that the Cardinals pulled one out of their hats last night. Do I think the Tigers are done? No! Do I think the Cards (Red Birds) have a fair chance now? Yes! Tonights game will be a decisive game... Cards going 2-0 to St. Louis could put a stamp on the series... Tigers need to win tonight!!! I thought that pitching to Pujols (the best pure hitter in the game) when you do not have to was a big mistake last night. I want to see if the Tigers will continue to do so because Pujols will keep embarrassing the Tigers.

Leyland came out and said that was his fault, don't remember what else he said about it, other than that.

Jimbo

your top 2, whoever you think they are. i would take gibson over carptener...

ok time to PLAY BALL
!!!!

KEEP{ GOING CARDINALS!!!!!!!!!

damn weather sucks
We discussed shortening the season so we would not have to play baseball in the winter in this or another thread.

I was not a Lolich fan, I like Joe Coleman better, he never got the credit he deserved.
Then again, I was too young to remember the '68 series, or was not following BB at the time ... I think I was 7.

We discussed shortening the season so we would not have to play baseball in the winter in this or another thread.

I was not a Lolich fan, I like Joe Coleman better, he never got the credit he deserved.
Then again, I was too young to remember the '68 series, or was not following BB at the time ... I think I was 7.

Nice job by Weaver tonight, especially last inning, bases loaded No Out ...
That could come back to haunt them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)