Time again - Weekend Satellite Projects?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
techpuppy said:
Now the only problem is getting it home, a drive of about 20 miles. Any tips on securing a 6 ft dish on top of a Corolla wagon?

No....but do you mind posting some pics when you move it :)

If you like PBS then AMC3. News? IA8...ABC News Now is cool. IA6 has some great news feeds on it as well. That'd be my pick. AMC6 is pretty much feeds too. I vote for IA6. I'm a sports-a-holic so SBS6 is my all time fav.

An addition to AMC6

Don't forget... you may be able to get some feeds from Nahuel 1. Also, check page 3 in WUT :)

Last edited:
techpuppy said:
HOORAY! Finally caught someone at the construction site where they just leveled a home for commercial development. I asked if they had any plans for the satellite dish. The guy said they'd been trying to figure out what to do with it and did I want it? Free dish for me. Solved a problem for them. It pays to ask! The dish is a 6 foot solid fiberglass with lnb. The mount is a sort of metal stand which might be usable. Now the only problem is getting it home, a drive of about 20 miles. Any tips on securing a 6 ft dish on top of a Corolla wagon?
Congratulations on the find! Is it the 1.8 meter Channel Master? What type of feedhorn/LNB?

This reminds me of earlier this year when another member of this forum and myself transported a 6' Andrews spun aluminum dish from an electronics shop to my house in rush hour traffic :D We tied the thing face-up to the top of his SUV, the setup looked like a cut-rate news uplink truck :) I was driving behind him waiting for the dish to go sailing...

Last edited:
My plans are to head over to my buddys house and finish setting up a fixed dish FTA system for g10. I have the dish up and have found g10, but the signal over the existing cable run is horrible. So, time to run some new rg-6 from reciever to dish.

hope I can work on my project today

very windy (30+ MPH winds)...really dont want to be on the roof in those :)

Successful Project!

This morning I took down my 80cm set-up and moved it to my sisters house, she lives in a 3 BR apartment above my dad's woodshop. I mounted it on the roof eave, man is it scary up there? I had a hard time finding a level plumb spot. No problem to find the spot for the mount, the problem was the weight of the dish was getting it off center. It took a while, but I found the arc, not to mention I overtightened the HH90 motor to the wimpy (D*) swivel pole mount, before I realized what had happened. I started taking it down at my house around 7:30 a.m. and stopped tinkering with it about 10:45 a.m. at her apartment, when the Sun became a nuisance for the signal meter on the TV screen. I could track the arc from Hispasat to IA7, and was getting everything except 11720 on G10 or White Springs TV on IA7. When I knocked off, I settled in and spent most of the day watching football. After the Auburn-LSU game was over, I went back over and got back on the roof (shortly after 7:00 p.m.) and the TV screen was much easier to see and at first I lost the rest of G10, but 15-20 minutes later, I had all of the G10 channels and went over to IA7 and had White Springs TV. Then I tracked the arc and everything is there, but IA5 didn't seem to be there when I went by it. But, after going on to Hispasat, with everything working, but IA5. I went back to IA5 and it was working. Don't know what the deal was/is on that? Maybe it had something to do with SatelliteAV's thread looking for signal strength comparisons on it, where some of his customers had been complaining? Anyway, everything is good to go now.

Al

almost done with my project. I am so happy it didnt rain today because I spent 5 hours outside setting up and aiming a dish.

My back is killing me (gotta have a pulled muscle or two) but we're almost done. Just hook up the cabling and we should be done :)

Tony, I still have two more projects to do. One is on the same roof I was on today, I've got a GeoSat pro 1.2m dish to put up there. I got an eave mount bracket (looks like an upside down tee, when put together), and I got a 4'x2 3/8" pole to place in it. I don't think I'll have anywhere near the problems for leveling with this set-up. I sure hope not, anyway?
My other project is another GeoSat pro 1.2m dish, but it's going to my niece's place in the next county north of me. It will be on the ground (thank God), so it should be no problem. Just have to wait for her and me to be able to have time at the same time, when she's at home. I have no desire to go digging in her yard without her telling me the spot works for her (and the LOS works too). She also needs to be there for me to run the cabling.
I know what you mean by your back pain, my whole body is aching. I'm getting on the roof through a small window in the attic over the second floor, by going up some outdoor stairs to a deck, through the house to a very narrow hidaway stairway, and into the attic, then walking half humped over to the window, by having to step across rafters/joice, and crawling out onto a steep (about 45 degree) roof. Must have went through that attic a couple dozen times this morning and evening. Was able to get the 80cm through the window opening, will have to get the 1.2m dish on the roof with a rope, it's to big to go through the window.

Al

I know what you mean by your back pain, my whole body is aching. I'm getting on the roof through a small window in the attic over the second floor, by going up some outdoor stairs to a deck, through the house to a very narrow hidaway stairway, and into the attic, then walking half humped over to the window, by having to step across rafters/joice, and crawling out onto a steep (about 45 degree) roof. Must have went through that attic a couple dozen times this morning and evening.
my back hurts just reading that. Luckily my roof is easier to get to. Climb on the step ladder from the deck and right there it is

Glad to hear you folks are having success with your weekend projects. I went over to my buddys house to finish setting up his fixed dish. Ran all new RG-6, peaked the dish some more, and still cannot get over 15% sq on g10 11800v :( I think I am actually hitting trees, so next step is to break out the chainsaw.

Well I am almost done with my weekend project. I went from 7 dishes to 3. Took the StarChoice dish and the Primestar dishes off the roof. Took down the 36" dish for G10 and removed the 2 DBS dishes off the TV antenna.

Am I crazy? no
Why did I do it? Well, I spent the last day and a half putting together, aiming, tweaking and setting up a Toridal T-90 dish :)

review in review area
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=77005

Thats what my order from Sadoun was :D

Last edited:
Iceberg said:
Thanks guys. I wanted to keep it under wraps until I knew I could get it to work :)

Heh! Wondered why you seemed secretive about "the package"!

Excellent work, good review, and surprised the great signal strength you were able to get out of it!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)