Time to start looking ahead to this?

chicagofilms

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
I'd like to consider this something that will never actually come out, but knowing the crafty Japanese, this just might be thu not so distant future.

33 megapixel Super Hi-Vision (Ultra HDTV) could be on the air in 2015 - Engadget

1080p and QuadHD / 4K can take a step back, the Japanese government has announced plans to bring Super Hi-Vision (a.k.a. Ultra High Definition) to life as a broadcast standard by 2015. With its 33 megapixel (7,680 x 4,320) resolution and 22.2 channel surround sound, challenges so far have included building a camera that can record it, and equipment to transfer the 24Gbps uncompressed stream. Fortunately, some forward thinker in Japan's Internal Affairs and Communications Ministry -- that we are strongly considering as a write in candidate for the presidential elections -- is beginning a joint project with private companies to make this happen, beginning with a research investment of about $2.7 million this year alone. If you're still confused as to how much more res this is than anything you currently own, check out the handy chart after the break.
uhdvcomparison060107.jpg

I also question in the average user home at the time in the future with my guess then a 50 inch or greater tv the need/desire for such an item. I thinks that user experience will come into play against (because HD is so good now). Just because the specs are better in terms of output as compared to experience doesn't mean the user will buy into it. A similar parallel would be the console wars right now. Xbox and PS3 are far more powerful than the WII but the WII is the true winner. I guess what I'm saying is the woooow factor has to be truly noticeable. SDTV to HDTV was a big jump visually in terms of precision. This new possible jump may not be so noticeable.

Yea, I can't really imagine what the benefit of this would be. You can count the nose hairs of an anchorman in 1080. How much more detail would actually become available?

The 22.2 channel sound could be cool. Although that's a lot of cash buying another 15 speakers.

Yea, I can't really imagine what the benefit of this would be. You can count the nose hairs of an anchorman in 1080. How much more detail would actually become available?

The 22.2 channel sound could be cool. Although that's a lot of cash buying another 15 speakers.

Probably be able to see what the anchor had to eat , and what color underwear he has on as well with super high def . They will call it SUper Xray High Definition. :D

Yea, I can't really imagine what the benefit of this would be. You can count the nose hairs of an anchorman in 1080.
I guess they want us to see his molecular structure. Theres going to come a day where face shots are going to be a no no. Actors are not going to want us to see their flaws, and I surely don't want to see flaws up close, major turn off.

Well, it will work for 72MM film and Imax... It is beyond the resolution of 35mm film, which maxes out around 6k by 4k, but usually a less depending on ISO of the film and the lighting.