Time Warner reaches agreement for Universal HD

CPanther95

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 25, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Source: http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsroom/pr/0,20812,1122634,00.html

NBC Universal Cable and Time Warner Cable Reach Distribution Agreement; Agreement Includes Rights to Universal HD and VOD Content; NBC Programming to Be ''Start Over'' Enabled
October 25, 2005

ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J. & STAMFORD, Conn.- NBC Universal Cable (NBCU) and Time Warner Cable, today announced a renewal for USA Network, and a carriage agreement for Universal HD, mun2, Telemundo Puerto Rico and VOD (video on demand). Additionally, the agreement allows Time Warner Cable to include NBC and NBCU programming as part of its Start Over service. When launched later this year, Start Over will provide Time Warner Cable customers the ability to restart enabled television shows that are already in progress. Select programming from NBC's broadcast network, USA, CNBC, MSNBC, Bravo, SCI FI and others will be Start Over enabled.

The deal also includes the rights to on demand content from NBC News (including Nightly News and Meet the Press) and for the first time, cable (including MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthews and The Abrams Report; and CNBC's Mad Money and Closing Bell with Maria Bartiromo). As part of the agreement, NBCU will develop interactive opportunities for Time Warner Cable as well as participate in several new technology trials. Time Warner Cable and NBCU already have deals in place for NBCU's other cable properties, including SCI FI, CNBC, MSNBC and Bravo.

"This multi-faceted agreement with Time Warner Cable demonstrates our commitment to providing our affiliates with the services they need to drive their businesses," said David Zaslav, president, NBC Universal Cable. "Customers will continue to have access to one of the top-rated cable networks on television, USA, while also having the opportunity to utilize new technologies like Start Over. Additionally, we expect Start Over will help deliver more engaged viewers to our advertisers. From HD to VOD and interactive TV our customers will get to watch the valuable programming we have to offer from news to entertainment in new and exciting ways."

"Once again NBC and NBCU have proven to be forward-thinking business partners - partners that share our desire to deliver consumers highly rated content using today's advanced services," said Time Warner Cable Executive Vice President Fred Dressler. "This agreement provides us with extremely desirable programming for Start Over, our VOD offerings and interactive television making Time Warner Cable customers and NBCU viewers the big winners."

NBC Universal's cable properties have had an impressive year. The WWE was welcomed home to USA Network in a big way on October 3 when Monday Night Raw delivered a knockout punch, making it the #1 program of the night on basic cable as well as the most-watched RAW program with the largest delivery in key demos for USA in more than three years. Universal HD's line-up this year included the US Open, Notre Dame football, the series Medical Investigation and movies such as Apollo 13 and Mulholland Drive. CNBC's Mad Money with Jim Cramer @ 6PM (3/14/05-10/12/05) has improved the hour by 59% versus the same period last year and 67% versus the 6P hours delivery in 1stQ'05. mun2, the bilingual network that celebrates the lifestyle of Latino young adults, recently re-launched with a 100% new programming grid featuring all-new properties backed by a revamped look and feel.

About NBC Universal Cable
NBC Universal Cable, a division of NBC Universal, one of the world's preeminent media companies, drives the company's cable strategic development and growth including video-on-demand, pay-per-view, HDTV and retransmission consent, and oversees the cable distribution, marketing and local ad sales of fourteen properties (Bravo, CNBC, CNBC World, MSNBC, mun2, NBC Weather Plus, SCI FI, ShopNBC, Telemundo, Telemundo Puerto Rico, Trio, Universal HD, USA and the Olympics on cable). NBC Universal Cable also directs and manages the company's cable and new media investments including A&E, The History Channel, History Channel International, The Biography Channel, National Geographic International, the Sundance Channel and Tivo.

About Time Warner Cable
Time Warner Cable owns and manages cable systems serving subscribers in 27 states, which include some of the most technologically advanced, best-clustered cable systems in the country with more than 75% of the Company's customers in systems of 300,000 subscribers or more. Utilizing a fully upgraded advanced cable network and a steadfast commitment to providing consumers with choice, value and quality customer care, Time Warner Cable is an industry leader in delivering advanced products and services such as video on demand, high definition television, digital video recorders, high-speed data, wireless home networking and Digital Phone. Time Warner Cable is a subsidiary of Time Warner Inc. (NYSE: TWX).

Contact Info:
Keith Cocozza
(203) 351-2039
keith.cocozza@twcable.com

Alyssa Donelan, NBC Universal Cable
(201) 735-3568

hey cpanther, will you post this if you have not over at avs- so those folks can see it over there.

Also like i said earlier, should be a pretty easy channel to turn on!? as I would think they have the space in alot of their systems already because of the tennis thing, should just make that channel live again.

thank you, saw the original post when I went over there, seems there has been alot of time warner folks looking for information over there lately...Thanks again!! wonder when we will see this channel pop up-I am guessing by thanksgiving?? that should give them plenty of time....oh well thanks again cpanther

My most recent billing statement said that Universal HD was now available on channel 780 from Time Warner. I looked and of course it wasn't there. I called customer service and neither the operator I was talking to even knew what it was. I told them we had it during the Olympics and they still had no clue. I went to my local office and was told they also had no idea what it was. I showed them the statement and she said she would look into it. Of course I had to go back the next day because calling them would have connected me with the same people in God-knows-where that I talked to the first time. After my 2nd drive to their office, I was told that due to "technical issues" the info on the statement was incorrect.

Wow... I thought everyone had Universal HD. We've had it since Feb 06. Check out my post here. Granted, it is part of their $6.95 HD Suite (along with HDNET, HDNET Movies, INHD, INHD 2, and ESPN HD). I have reruns of Monk and L&O:SVU in HD scheduled on my DVR.

Yea, I pay extra for HDNET, HDNET Movies, INHD, INHD 2 & ESPN HD, but no Universal HD.

That's because every local TWC has the choice to add any channel agreed upon at the national level. Maybe it's bandwidth limitations, etc. So, for example, if TWC strikes an agreement for ESPN2HD (fat chance), your local line-up may or may not add it. Another reason why TWC is the worst cable company in the country.

I agree with you. I had Dish Network for a while but dropped them as their DVR software was broken at the time and they didn't seem to want to fix it. The thing that upsets me the most was the fact that they announced it on their bill and then said we couldn't have it due to technical reasons. I knew that was an utter lie because we had the channel before during the Olympics.

UPDATE: I don't think it's a bandwidth issue. They just added a Fox Sports HD channel here. No programming on it yet, just a stupid promo screen.

Last edited:
I agree with you. I had Dish Network for a while but dropped them as their DVR software was broken at the time and they didn't seem to want to fix it. The thing that upsets me the most was the fact that they announced it on their bill and then said we couldn't have it due to technical reasons. I knew that was an utter lie because we had the channel before during the Olympics.

That's because it's an "MPEG4" channel and you need the next generation boxes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)