TiVo bolt

TiVo lifetime subscriptions are attached to the DVR itself, not the owner.
Generally true, however last year Tivo allowed you to do just that in some cases, and with a fee. I transferred a lifetime sub from an older series 3 to a roamio ota for $99.

For the purpose of the thread though, this is not something I would count on them doing again.

Edit: it seems it was two years ago when I did this, however they did offer the deal again last year to transfer to a Bolt.

Nope, as others have said, there's no point in buying a TiVo if you don't want to pay for service. If you only want to use a TiVo with OTA TV (never with cable), I would suggest the Roamio OTA Vox for $350 at BestBuy. That includes lifetime service, so no additional costs after that.

Another option you may want to check out is a new product that Amazon just introduced called the Fire TV Recast. Lifetime service is also included with it, so there's no additional fees to pay after buying it. Comes in two models priced at $230 and $280. You would need an Amazon Fire TV box or stick connected to each TV throughout the house and the Fire TV Recast acts as a central OTA DVR to serve up live and recorded TV to each box/stick. First Look at Amazon’s Fire TV Recast, a new device to record live TV, stream it anywhere

Thank you for the information. As long as the TiVo Roamio Vox comes with the lifetime service with no additional cost than I will get it. But I will checkout the Amazon's Fire TV recast. My only question about the Amazon's fire tv is will it help with getting a stronger signal to get the channels in better?

Thank you for the information. As long as the TiVo Roamio Vox comes with the lifetime service with no additional cost than I will get it. But I will checkout the Amazon's Fire TV recast. My only question about the Amazon's fire tv is will it help with getting a stronger signal to get the channels in better?
Answer is probably NO. Amazon Recast is too new to have much history on the tuner capability.

Reactions: Clarbear
What part of without service there will be no DVR functionality is confusing you?

If you won't pay for a subscription, you need to look to some platform other than TiVo (or Tablo, I suppose). The longer you wait, the less valuable (though hopefully less costly) a lifetime subscription will be. Unless something changes radically, you can NOT transfer a TiVo lifetime subscription to an upgraded DVR such as one that features a Next Gen (ATSC 3.0) tuner. TiVo lifetime subscriptions are attached to the DVR itself, not the owner.

Harshness
Dude I was only asking if I could attach a DVR to the bolt without get a subscription to get the DVR. Now are you going to be sarcastic about the Roamio also as well. Because that it comes with the service when I buy it without adding any additional cost to that.

Answer is probably NO. Amazon Recast is too new to have much history on the tuner capability.

Thank you bobo for the information. I do need one to not only improve the signal and having a DVR without adding more money to get a monthly or lifetime subscription. I understand that there is only one that it gives me both. I appreciate it.

Clarbear, the reality is that TIVO is the clear cut best solution, but at a cost.
If the price of a used Roamio with lifetime is too much, you need to look at the other stuff and live with the limitations. The other DVRs with real guide service tend to comein at similar prices, and IMO the guide services may be less reliable. A few have already folded, leaving users with bricks. The cheaper ones rely on the OTA PSIP information and frankly I have found this to be very spotty, and inconsistent.

The TIVO service has evolved over 20 years now, and the features are rock solid. It is a one stop platform for broadcast and streaming. It offers season passes, an excellent search facility, one touch commercial skip, and a host of other features. I gave up cable, but not sure I could live without this DVR anymore.

Reactions: osu1991
My DVR+ units, no longer sold new, use the Internet for EPG when available, at no extra cost. If no Internet, PSIP.

I prefer them to TiVo, especially when considering cost.

Is there no other unit out there that does this?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: renegade734
Dude I was only asking if I could attach a DVR to the bolt without get a subscription to get the DVR.
I don't think there are any DVRs (even from TiVo) that can control a TiVo (necessary to select channels for recording since a TiVo without guide service can't change channels on its own).

My DVR+ units, no longer sold new, use the Internet for EPG when available, at no extra cost. If no Internet, PSIP.

I prefer them to TiVo, especially when considering cost.

Is there no other unit out there that does this?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

From what I can tell, quality units are becoming a bit of a unicorn. DVR+ was discontinued and replaced by an Android powered model that is receiving mixed reviews. There are a bunch of really cheap Chinese units on the market, but they lack an EPG and are not a very good option.

New units seem to be moving to the Tablo model and network based.

Reactions: navychop
Actually, a Hauppauge 1212 PVR can be attached to a TiVo and it has an rf emitter that can send all the remote signals to the TiVo. It has component video inputs/outputs and RCA/toslink audio. Sends a transport stream to your PC via IUSB.

Reactions: Clarbear
Actually, a Hauppauge 1212 PVR can be attached to a TiVo and it has an rf emitter that can send all the remote signals to the TiVo.
Alas, this solution is bordering on the cost of a comparable TiVo OTA with lifetime. Since the non-subscribed TiVo can only feed one recorder (because it has only one set of outputs), you would need multiple TiVos, each paired with their own PVR, to record two or more channels simultaneously.

Looks like all of this is beginning to be a headache. Looks like that I should ditch TiVo and getting a different one. I think someone brought it up on this thread or a different one.

If you want a Roamio OTA then grab one from Bestbuy while they still have them. Tivo press release now has BOLT OTA as the replacement with a higher all in cost than the Roamio OTA. Tivo_Ted over at Tivo Community has confirmed the Roamio OTA is now gone as Tivo and Amazon are both out of stock and only a few hundred remain at BestBuy and Weaknees. Tivo has some factory renewed stock remaining too.

TiVo Targets Cord Cutters With Bolt OTA

New TiVo Bolt OTA

Per Tivo_Ted regarding the new Bolt OTA version

We removed the CableCARD connector, MOCA networking and some supporting components. Otherwise, it's the same spec as a BOLT VOX. The Roamio OTA and BOLT OTA use the same tuner, and we have lab tested them against each other to ensure that the BOLT is as good a tuner as Roamio. I have seen some comments comparing things to Premiere, but that was a completely different tuner architecture. These new silicon tuners are a bit more sensitive to lower strength stations. Some people will benefit from using an amplifier with their antenna to bump up the signal a bit.

Reactions: dishdude
per Ted Tivo is keeping an eye on ATSC 3.0

New TiVo Bolt OTA

We are keeping an eye on the ATSC 3.0 trials that are happening in Chicago and elsewhere. They're still using Korea standard gear, and consumer grade components will not be available for a while. My guess is that retail ATSC 3.0 devices won't be available until 2020. If we can support an ATSC 3.0 tuner via USB, we will certainly give that a try. We are happy to sell accessories (WiFi adapters, BT dongles, MOCA bridges, etc.) when it makes sense. With a large installed base of BOLT units, it would seem like a good way to jump-start ATSC 3.0 providing that BOLT can handle the decode. There are a bunch of open questions surrounding video format, video transport, security, etc.

Reactions: dishdude
I suspect a complete cutover to ATSC 3.0 is a long time off, I wouldn't hold off on buying a tuner for that.
The possible failing in that theory is that the broadcasters may gut the DTV broadcasts (by combining an unthinkable number of channels) under the facade of making room for and to drive viewers to Next Gen. I think comfortably_numb pointed out that one station is pumping out 13 SD channels and that could be the not-so-distant future of DTV across the board if they can get enough to buy into Next Gen.

If they replace your HD feeds with SD (SD-quality HD) feeds, you'll jump more quickly than you think.

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts