TiVo bolt

If the ATSC 3 tuner is in the USB dongle, I’m not sure how much additional processing power is needed in the STB. Some, certainly, depending upon how many ATSC 3 features are supported.

TiVo may not have a dog in that fight, but cablecos and satcos most certainly do, and may only implement a subset.

If they’re allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Given what we know about Next Gen, it seems pretty obvious that it requires some fairly high level processing power and I rather doubt that there's any way to share that load (outside of video stream handling) with a TV, projector or monitor. The egg is the fact someone has to pay for the development of the VLSI that will make this all economically feasible and I'm betting that everyone is going to be looking directly at the broadcasters and reminding them that this was their idea.

Most of the elements in the standard will need to be compulsory or a log-jam of not full-featured enough tuners is likely to accumulate, hobbling the standard to some sort of least common denominator.

If you want a Roamio OTA then grab one from Bestbuy while they still have them. Tivo press release now has BOLT OTA as the replacement with a higher all in cost than the Roamio OTA. Tivo_Ted over at Tivo Community has confirmed the Roamio OTA is now gone as Tivo and Amazon are both out of stock and only a few hundred remain at BestBuy and Weaknees. Tivo has some factory renewed stock remaining too.

TiVo Targets Cord Cutters With Bolt OTA

New TiVo Bolt OTA

Per Tivo_Ted regarding the new Bolt OTA version

We removed the CableCARD connector, MOCA networking and some supporting components. Otherwise, it's the same spec as a BOLT VOX. The Roamio OTA and BOLT OTA use the same tuner, and we have lab tested them against each other to ensure that the BOLT is as good a tuner as Roamio. I have seen some comments comparing things to Premiere, but that was a completely different tuner architecture. These new silicon tuners are a bit more sensitive to lower strength stations. Some people will benefit from using an amplifier with their antenna to bump up the signal a bit.

But still you need to get a monthly or lifetime subscription in order to get the DVR part of the bolt OTA like this bolt vox. Unless that the new bolt OTA will have it like the Roamio that the price includes the lifetime subscription in order to get DVR along with the getting better channel strength in order to get all channels that are available in the area.

But still you need to get a monthly or lifetime subscription in order to get the DVR part of the bolt OTA like this bolt vox. Unless that the new bolt OTA will have it like the Roamio that the price includes the lifetime subscription in order to get DVR along with the getting better channel strength in order to get all channels that are available in the area.

TiVo Bolt OTA service subscription is required. Options include a monthly service plan at 6.99/mo. with a 1-Year commitment, or an Annual service plan at 69.99/year. There is also a one-time payment plan (All-In Plan) available for $249.99

TiVo Bolt OTA service subscription is required. Options include a monthly service plan at 6.99/mo. with a 1-Year commitment, or an Annual service plan at 69.99/year. There is also a one-time payment plan (All-In Plan) available for $249.99

The $249.99 is the final cost after one time payment with bolt OTA or is that plus cost of the bolt? I am just asking that is all.

Plus the cost of the Bolt
I do have a question for you osu1991: Is there a way to get it cheaper than getting it on their website? I went on to see the final cost with the device plus the life time subscription and tax and the total was over $570. Like to get one but I know that I have to save the money in order to get one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I do have a question for you osu1991: Is there a way to get it cheaper than getting it on their website? I went on to see the final cost with the device plus the life time subscription and tax and the total was over $570. Like to get one but I know that I have to save the money in order to get one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
Ebay, Amazon, TIVO, Best Buy are all sources, keep looking and start saving. What you want today may be different from what you buy 6 Mo. from now. Just keep shopping.

Reactions: Clarbear
I do have a question for you osu1991: Is there a way to get it cheaper than getting it on their website?
There are two ways: buy it on their website or buy a unit that already has lifetime service.

All-in Lifetime service appears to be removed from a unit if one executes a $99 transfer to another TiVo so you need to be very careful when purchasing a used TiVo that claims lifetime service.

Again, there aren't really any workaround or alternatives. What you see is what you pay. I believe the "sales" that osu1991 refers to are discounts on units with lifetime service as opposed to discounts on the service itself.

If you will not pay, you need to look elsewhere.

Correct, the last few big sales on Tivos was on the hardware with some sort of discounting also on the service portion. On a very, very few occasions they will have sales on the service without being part of a hardware purchase.

You just have to watch the sales at Tivo and see the alerts on slickdeals. I bought both of my Roamio OTA’s from TiVo sales. One for $249 during a sale when they first came out and the other for $199 during a White Sale around the holidays last year. $199 was a great price and I wanted a back up, which I ended up needing. I only paid full price for one of my Roamio Basics, the others I bought as refurbs for $99 and then at that time got the multi unit discount on lifetime service, which is no longer offered.

Right now on an OTA unit, I would probably just pay the annual $70 annual rate. That 3.5 yrs to get to the $249 lifetime rate and by then there maybe something for ATSC 3.0

Pulled the trigger on the Roamio OTA VOX. Appears to be the lowest cost way to get lifetime service and since service is with the box it should help with resale down the road. Missed the $50 off at Best Buy last week. :mad:

Refurbs are $350 at the Tivo site.

The Roamio OTA refurbs are the last of the Roamio units TiVo has. They do not come with the VOX remote. They are sold out on the new Roamios and will not be producing any more. BestBuy still has some, but production has stopped so supply is limited.

Reactions: dishdude
The Roamio OTA refurbs are the last of the Roamio units TiVo has. They do not come with the VOX remote. They are sold out on the new Roamios and will not be producing any more. BestBuy still has some, but production has stopped so supply is limited.

Didn't even notice the refurbs didn't come with the VOX remote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)