TiVo Guide Data/Fringe Signal Levels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

havanahjoe

Original poster
Oct 4, 2009
San Diego
Hey guys,

I have a dish south of the border that is hooked up to an original Philips DirecTiVo. It has worked well for years, but a couple of years ago have been unable to get guide data. I started losing TPs and finally decided to replace a fiber glass CM antenna copy with a real 1.8m Channel Master. I have been reading vixens thread on getting his dishes pointed in Belize, and I am at about the same latitude as he is, but a few degrees west.

I can get most of the non spot beam even transponders, those are easy, and I am only able to get a few odd transponders. I am missing 7, 15, 23, 31 and 32.

I will spend some more time tomorrow fine tuning the dish to try to peak on those missing transponders, since those are probably the non double power transponders on DTV 8.

Now for the question, I believe the original DirecTiVos get their guide/program data from transponder 31? The DirecTiVo gets stuck at 79% of guide downloading right now.

I have a newer THR22-100 DirecTiVo, and this one won't even get past 5%.

What about the HR21/HR22s? What transponder do they get their guide data from? My trusty old Hughes simple receiver gets guide data no problem, probably from TPs 2 and 10 that have almost 100 signal strength.

Hey guys,

I have a dish south of the border that is hooked up to an original Philips DirecTiVo. It has worked well for years, but a couple of years ago have been unable to get guide data. I started losing TPs and finally decided to replace a fiber glass CM antenna copy with a real 1.8m Channel Master. I have been reading vixens thread on getting his dishes pointed in Belize, and I am at about the same latitude as he is, but a few degrees west.

I can get most of the non spot beam even transponders, those are easy, and I am only able to get a few odd transponders. I am missing 7, 15, 23, 31 and 32.

I will spend some more time tomorrow fine tuning the dish to try to peak on those missing transponders, since those are probably the non double power transponders on DTV 8.

Now for the question, I believe the original DirecTiVos get their guide/program data from transponder 31? The DirecTiVo gets stuck at 79% of guide downloading right now.

I have a newer THR22-100 DirecTiVo, and this one won't even get past 5%.

What about the HR21/HR22s? What transponder do they get their guide data from? My trusty old Hughes simple receiver gets guide data no problem, probably from TPs 2 and 10 that have almost 100 signal strength.

Xpndrs...... no idea, but what i can tell you that guide data either comes off the 101 or 119 depending on what physical dish lnb. You use. Now knowing exactly what guys like you and vixens are doing for reception, and the lnbs are split up i have no idea where it would come from.

What i can also tell you is that up here in the states as an example with a hr24 receiver and a swm5 lnb, the guide data comes off the 119. Now if you bypass the software EIV and manually tell the box to use swm3 due to a los issue to knock out 119 from the receiver software wise you WILL have issues with that since the physical lnb is still swm5.

If this helps or not im not sure, but i enjoy sharing information.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Xpndrs...... no idea, but what i can tell you that guide data either comes off the 101 or 119 depending on what physical dish lnb. You use. Now knowing exactly what guys like you and vixens are doing for reception, and the lnbs are split up i have no idea where it would come from.

What i can also tell you is that up here in the states as an example with a hr24 receiver and a swm5 lnb, the guide data comes off the 119. Now if you bypass the software EIV and manually tell the box to use swm3 due to a los issue to knock out 119 from the receiver software wise you WILL have issues with that since the physical lnb is still swm5.

If this helps or not im not sure, but i enjoy sharing information.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Not quite. The DirecTV stack plan for a 5-lnb non-SWM delivers guide data from 101 when you are tuned to a transponder on 99 or 101, and from 119 when you are tuned to a transponder on 103 or 119. The Slimline 3 LNB (non-SWM) is electrically different so it gets data from 101 whichever transponder you are tuned to. If you have a 5-LNB non-SWM and tell the receiver that it is connected to a 3-LNB non SWM, you lose guide data when you tune a 103 transponder because there's no 119 signal..
BUT if the LNB is an SWM, it always takes guide data from 101, even if it is a 5-LNB. And if you have a 5-LNB non-SWM, and connect it to an SWM8 multiswitch, it also takes guide data from 101 all the time.

I understand that my location is similar to havanajoe.
Havanajoe, what size of dish(s) are you using. Can you provide pics ?

I am using an HR22 & SWM.
My receiver will only boot up completely between 8am and 3pm. The other times my receiver will get stuck at 98%, sometimes earlier. The boot-up green download will remain stuck all night until the last 2% finish around 8am.
If you look at my signals on 101W, the low signal transponders (in the 50s and 60s) disappear at night (go to zero) and come back the next morning.

Signal 50 seems the cut off for a lock-in for 101W; if they fall below 50 the HR22 shows 0 (zero) reception.
101W wo amp.JPG

My other 15 year old non-HD receiver still shows sufficient signal on the low tps for a picture; all night. signal fall down to just 35 at night still providing pictures.
Unfortunately the HR22 cuts off on signals below 50 (for the 101W).

Strangely enough, for the 103W(ca) the receiver still locks with signals as low as 32.

Havanajoe, you will have to fine tune 101W using tp 15, 19, 23, 27 and 31. One (or more) of these transponders provide the necessary download for the boot up.
It is tricky work, not easy and also try it at different times a day.
Basically, you will have to take one of these odd tps and peak it up to max. then try it with the next odd tp.
Try to peak up the weakest tps as high as you can.

ww
p.s. contact Rafaelccs as he is the real expert.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)