Today is May 17th, Do You Know Where Your TNTHD Is?

rex,

Did you miss my post above? No legit Dish customer has it yet. The channel hasn't launched yet. The channel's first official broadcast will be this Friday at 9pm. If VOOM has it by then, customers will not have missed a thing.

I will also add that I love my Voom and would not trade it for the world!!! Even used my existing D* cables to break my OTA antenna out of the diplexor and improved my signal a bunch. My point being, I had Voom and D* for a while but now I am 100% Voom Forever!!!!

Sci Fi channel sucks.

They take good sci fi and make it into a bad weekly series. I hope Voom never gets them and just does there own SCI FI HD, which actually could play movies uncut! Why does SCI FI need to make there own programming which 9/10 times sucks. Just play movies already made by people who don't turn them into waterd down soap boxes.

Sci FI will probably never go HD, they can't afford it, using HD cameras would eat up the entire production budget. They are owned by the USA network which is known for making cheap crappy movies also, no quality just quanity crap on that network. :)

You ranting sports fans crack me up! Two weeks ago, ESPN came online and I saw all these messages like "I am in seventh heaven!" "Voom rocks!" "I have it all now!" Etc. Etc. This week, post after post of "Voom blows for not having TNT-HD" and "I can't see my NBA?" etc. etc. Geesh! Let's keep a level head here, folks! :neener

I am not a sports fan. But I know that sports channels are very important to the success of VOOM, so bring 'em on. :wave

of course contracts determine when you can actually go live but they dont restrict you from making an announcement that "we expect to sign a contract soon".
Yes, signed contracts do restrict when you can announce or discuss carriage. This is standard language in most contracts for new channels. It makes for a level playing field -- so one provider doesn't have an unfair advantage in marketing, just because they signed the agreement first. All providers are on equal footing when the contract specifies that all announcements are to be made on the same day.

D* announced on Jan 8 2004 that they were planning on launching CBSHD for the superbowl on Feb 8 2004. Why do they get contracts done so far in advance and voom cannot? It seems like vooms to biggest problems are getting contracts done and advertising.
Who says VOOM does not have contracts in place now? Some contracts specify when you can discuss carriage, others do not. DirecTV has almost certainly signed contracts for HD channels it has not yet announced.

Ken F said:
Yes, signed contracts do restrict when you can announce or discuss carriage. This is standard language in most contracts for new channels. It makes for a level playing field -- so one provider doesn't have an unfair advantage in marketing, just because they signed the agreement first. All providers are on equal footing when the contract specifies that all announcements are to be made on the same day.

Who says VOOM does not have contracts in place now? Some contracts specify when you can discuss carriage, others do not. DirecTV has almost certainly signed contracts for HD channels it has not yet announced.
so your basing your defense of Vooms non announcements on the fact that Voom has some sort of non disclosure terminology in the contracts. Id have to say its a pretty convenient circular arguement for treating its customers like mushrooms. Was espn a non disclosure agreement?Obviously not since Voom was about dead last to get it!!!!!!!!!!! can we get verification that this was the case? I just dont see the motivation for such language in a contract for TNTHD. Its certainly NOT a level playing field thing since TWC has the channel up already. I hope your not saying we have to wait until D* gets their new bird functioning because they have a contract too?

vurbano,

It's not a defense. It's just the way things are in this business. Do you see Dish Network pre-announcing their new HD channels? How about DirecTV? How about cable? The simple fact is content providers don't like pre-announcements, so they discourage it with contractual language.

Example: If VOOM announced today that they would add SciFi in 60 days, new customers would join the service because they know that channel is being added. But SciFi wouldn't receive a dime for 60-90 days. Content providers don't like being taken advantage of like that. They want to pressure multichannel providers to make their channels available asap, and they don't want any provider advertising and benefiting from their channel until they are paying for it.

TWC has a demo loop up (movie previews) with a message that says something to the effect of, "TNT-HD coming later this week with the WCF." That's all it is. I agree this is an unfair advantage, but Time Warner does own TNT.

Obviously not since Voom was about dead last to get it!!!!!!!!!!! (ESPN-HD)
Dead last? What does that make Time Warner Cable customers? :D

Ken F said:
vurbano,

It's not a defense. It's just the way things are in this business. Do you see Dish Network pre-announcing their new HD channels? How about DirecTV? How about cable? The simple fact is content providers don't like pre-announcements, so they discourage it with contractual language.

Example: If VOOM announced today that they would add SciFi in 60 days, new customers would join the service because they know that channel is being added. But SciFi wouldn't receive a dime for 60-90 days. Content providers don't like being taken advantage of like that. They want to pressure multichannel providers to make their channels available asap, and they don't want any provider advertising and benefiting from their channel until they are paying for it.

TWC has a demo loop up (movie previews) with a message that says something to the effect of, "TNT-HD coming later this week with the WCF." That's all it is. I agree this is an unfair advantage, but Time Warner does own TNT.

Dead last? What does that make Time Warner Cable customers? :D
1. sorry, next to dead last. I dont know what TWC's problem with espnhd is. Ive seen threads on it. Obviously those 2 have issues with each other.

2. Dish network hasnt added a new HD channel in ages! LMAO so i dont think thats a valid point.

3. Voom getting more customers because of an announcement is somehow taking advantage of TNTHD? Guess they will just hate all those extra viewers and fees.:D

4. Could TWC just want cablevision to fail and not give them TNTHD? or TBS when it goes HD?

you know there is a way to advertise that tnthd is coming indirectly. Just cut on another channel maybe with a voom logo on it. and a message. "another HD channel coming soon"

Other channels I'd love to have instead...

USA, Sci-Fi, Food Network, Noggin, G4/TechTv and WGN.
I can't think of anything on TNT that I enjoy watching that I have to have.

I don't think we are getting TNT-HD. All the signs point to it not being there. It is already being tested on other cable systems. We have not seen it being tested on VOOM like ESPN was before it came on officially. To me it just looks like all the wheels are NOT turning for us to get TNT-HD.

Its interesting though, if go to yahoo, and do a search for tnt hd, guess which websitec omes up first. You got it, VOOM. I have a gut feeling its coming on Friday ;-)

Obviously we are all guessing, but I just think that the machinery would already be moving if we were getting this channel. If you remember, ESPN was on the system a few days before it officially came on. I just think the machinery is not moving in the TNT-HD direction. Although, I hope I am wrong.

I noticed something weird today. I don't know if it has anything to do with TNT or if it's been like this since they added the channels, but why do they skip from 301 (ESPNHD) to 303 (ESPN)?

My best guess would be that ESPN requires it.
Maybe a future ESPN2 HD if there is ever to be one.
Or "youir guess here"
I doubt it would be for TNT HD, My guess that will be 521.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)