told my Vip722 needs to be replaced

baxdoc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 12, 2008
NW Washington
Upgraded from Dish America Silver to Dish America Gold. Initially there were no problems, now the new channels are in green and message says I need to upgrade. CSR had me unplug receiver then replug...no change. He checked my account, software, all the machines numbers...nada. He says I need to replace. My question is why doesn't the receiver get these new channels, it did initially without any problem. Now it doesn't. All the old channels are still good. I have recorded shows on the drive I would not like to lose, I do not want to have or need an external drive. I have also tried a hard reset without change. I would think it is just an authorization issue. One would assume that would be one of the things the CSR would have checked first. Any ideas? The receiver has been flawless upto this point. I would hate to get a different one that could potentially have issues. Only thing I have not tried is the check switch option. I just read about that.

sethwell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 16, 2008
Booneville, AR
baxdoc said:
Upgraded from Dish America Silver to Dish America Gold. Initially there were no problems, now the new channels are in green and message says I need to upgrade. CSR had me unplug receiver then replug...no change. He checked my account, software, all the machines numbers...nada. He says I need to replace. My question is why doesn't the receiver get these new channels, it did initially without any problem. Now it doesn't. All the old channels are still good. I have recorded shows on the drive I would not like to lose, I do not want to have or need an external drive. I have also tried a hard reset without change. I would think it is just an authorization issue. One would assume that would be one of the things the CSR would have checked first. Any ideas? The receiver has been flawless upto this point. I would hate to get a different one that could potentially have issues. Only thing I have not tried is the check switch option. I just read about that.

vash1090

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 7, 2009
AZ
Run the check switch, confirm current software and Americas Top 250 programming, and then get the hit for the receiver.

jbrooks987

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
May 15, 2007
Hays, KS
A "hit" is when the tech you're speaking with resends commands to your reciever to activate the features you are supposed to have.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I doubt very much that you need to replace that receiver. They fall behind in CSR training.

digital echo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 21, 2005
Earth
So this receiver hasn't been off for months at a time? You didn't get that box from a friend or buy it online? Id check and see the software update has been done and make sure you have a G3 smart card.. The new software is L680.

baxdoc

Apr 12, 2008
NW Washington
Talked with Tier 2 last evening, jumped all the usual hurdles, they did a hit and suggested that the internal smart card must be failing. Receiver was a new vip722 issued by dish. I assumed that when I shut down the receiver at night it is turned off. The software was not up to date, so last night I made sure that it was totally off (no lights) and I will check on software this eve. Otherwise the replacement should be here sometime today. How do you which smart card you have? All I have found is the smart card id #.

bigwillieb

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 26, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
What it could be is a bad Smart Card, could just be a smart card authorization issue. If you did the check switch test, it comes up fine, did a hard reset, has the latest software, that is what it sounds like to me. I transfered this guy to day with the same issue, to our Advance Tech Department and I conferenced in, and that is what the other tech told the customer is that it was the smart card. And since most smart cards in newer receiver are internal you got to get a new box. Hope you have the service plan or add it.

KKlare

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 18, 2003
Los Alamos, NM
If you don't already have the External Hard Drive (EHD) enabled so that you can copy off the programming $40, they should do that for free--haggle. You would have to buy an externally powered EHD $50/1TB or so, now, but useful hereafter.
-Ken

baxdoc

Apr 12, 2008
NW Washington
So...turns out that when I upgraded from america silver to america gold ( I wanted FX channel) and initially did have that channel after upgrading to gold, it was a mistake? The techs can't explain why I received the channel and then didn't. There is nothing wrong with my original receiver, as the new receiver was not allowing the channel either. I was under the impression that upgrading to america gold would give me the same channels that I am seeing on Top 200, "click on learn more". Both packages cost the same, but they do not list any of the channels that are viewable under the america packages. How the heck are you supposed to know what is available if they do not list a directory for the america packages!? They allow you to upgrade within the america package heirarchy without letting you in on what you are getting apparently. So after going round and round with the second Tier 2 tech who pointed out that the channel I wanted was not in the upgraded package ( the other Tier 2 agent did not catch this) I am returning the "new" receiver, keeping my "old" and apparrently "fine" receiver, getting the $15 shipping fee reimbursed and switching packages. Now I am dealing with a sales rep who tries to charge me the $5 fee for changing programming in less than 30 days, even though I pointed out that the package upgrades are misleading. I told him to forget it then and that I will look elsewhere. He looks up my account and finds out that I have been with dish for 10+ years and decides the change fee can be waived and comps me 3 movies. My point is this, why does it take my account history to make this guy do the right thing and why do they advertize packages without any channel directory? Sorry for the rant.

M

MikeL DISH

Hello, this is Mike LeMar with DISH Network Customer Service. I see that there was a problem when changing programming which led to a misdiagnosis with your receiver. I am just curious as to whether or not the issue was resolved and would be happy to assist with any further questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)