Toshiba to drop HD DVD, sources say

I can see it now, when the first Toshiba BD player hits the shelves Vurbano will still be saying it's FUD. :p

FWIW if you are quoting a valid source and say it is just a report and don't go beyond what the article says it is NOT FUD. Having said that it may not turn out to be true but it still ain't FUD to me.

BTW I don't believe that the end is as iminent as the article says. What do others think?

This is just a rehash of the article that came out last week and has been denied by Toshiba.

Do you hae alink to the other artile I must have missed it.

If you mean The Hollywood Reporter story, the link is in the first post.

TI saw the article in the first post. It is dated 15 Feb. My question is what article was MDValenz referring to that is a week old. I am not saying there isn't one just that I did not see it.

Last edited:
Press reports are starting to leak out all over the place. Like yesterday an advance copy of the next E3 magazine said Universal was going format neutral. Then reports of Toshiba sourcing parts for making thier own BD player. Models starting to sell out at various retailers, not seeming to be restocked.

At this point there is absolutely nothing Toshiba can do to stop it. No purchasing manager at any retailer is going to commit to buying more HD-DVD players, they are working through the inventory they have. Unless Toshiba agrees to repurchase all unsold inventory no one is going to touch HD-DVD. Of course the retailers are going to say they support HD-DVD until the warehouse is empty, and seemingly the HD-DVD players are so popular we cannot keep them in stock until after a 30 day return period seems to have gone by then we discontinued them.

Toshiba has to discount and unload as many as possible. Getting a % of their money back on the costs is the best they can do now. They dare not say they are stopping until they have every unit unloaded. The consumer of course has a nice upconverting player and HD software will be available for a while. The deep cut in prices after the Warner announcement was not a battle to change Warner's mind -- Toshiba is not run by dummies, they are liquidating inventory while they can do it. The last thing they want to do is take back all the inventory from retailers and have to rebadge them all as upconverting DVD players and sell them for even less.

The end is all but set in stone guys. As much as I wanted hd dvd to come out on top (and i have been in denial until very recently) its over. IMHO, universal, paramount and toshiba are gonna announce the expected very soon.

The end is all but set in stone guys. As much as I wanted hd dvd to come out on top (and i have been in denial until very recently) its over. IMHO, universal, paramount and toshiba are gonna announce the expected very soon.

Ditto that.

I think you're a little to hopefull in wanting this war to be over so you can get Paramount and Universal. It will happen some day, some day years from now.

Not really, I want it to be over so BD cant quit worrying with HD-DVD and move towards DVD.

As far as "years" and those two studios, you're in the denial stage I spoke of above.

Paramounts coming before end of 2nd qtr regardless. If Toshiba has been wooed by the BDA and is dropping HD-DVD, how long do you think itll take Universal and Paramount to support BD? About a microsecond.

No matter what I personally think about the format war... this and That were too hot a topic for elsewhere ;) I think that means this thread is uncloseable as no matter what our feelings... We Are SatelliteGuys :flag: :D

True, if avs doesnt lock it, I sure as hell dont want to one up em :D

"But in the end, sources say, the substantial loss Toshiba is incurring with each HD DVD player sold -- a figure sources say could be as high as several hundred dollars -- coupled with a series of high-profile retail defections has driven the company to at last concede defeat."

[PIE]...but what about the attach rate? :rolleyes:[/PIE]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts