Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
First one to report
Verizon Fios lost 78,000 TV Customers, 9,000 more then last (2nd) quarter
Comcast is due to report on Thursday, Charter Friday.

Verizon did gain a lot of Broadband Subscribers.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
First one to report
Verizon Fios lost 78,000 TV Customers, 9,000 more then last (2nd) quarter
Comcast is due to report on Thursday, Charter Friday.

Verizon did gain a lot of Broadband Subscribers.

My parents seriously considered the 5G "broadband." Their neighbors got it and cancelled after about 3 days of just terrible throughput and went back to Spectrum. I am sure it is good enough in some locations, but I am surprised they were able to add that many subs in a quarter.

My parents seriously considered the 5G "broadband." Their neighbors got it and cancelled after about 3 days of just terrible throughput and went back to Spectrum. I am sure it is good enough in some locations, but I am surprised they were able to add that many subs in a quarter.
If any wireless 5G Broadband was available to me, I would at least try it, maybe a back up service at least, but still, nothing beats the wire in the ground.

After having Spectrum for a tad more then three years, it has been solid (the first two modems from them ****** out, bought my own, no issues since).

It even held up for the two hurricanes last year.

Back in Michigan, Comcast would have at least one to two outages a month ( usually a hour or two), from what I have heard from my old neighbor, it has gotten worse.

It seems to be hit or miss, I have T-Mobile 5G Home Internet and it works great, actually switched to it because Cox was dropping out during the day. Cox tech tried telling me it was the coax in the wall causing the issue, it's brand new I replaced it with a remodel in 2015. For me T-Mo is more reliable, faster and half the cost. Once coverage expands, the cable companies are really going to be hurting. They're already running attack ads like they did with satellite, so they know it's coming.

It seems to be hit or miss, I have T-Mobile 5G Home Internet and it works great, actually switched to it because Cox was dropping out during the day. Cox tech tried telling me it was the coax in the wall causing the issue, it's brand new I replaced it with a remodel in 2015. For me T-Mo is more reliable, faster and half the cost. Once coverage expands, the cable companies are really going to be hurting. They're already running attack ads like they did with satellite, so they know it's coming.
Wish mine was that good....Its the best thing and cheapest I have had 9 years here. Not worth $50 more like $30? I have yet to be able to watch a TNF game. But on Sundays NFL ticket has worked without problems.

T-Mobile has most (maybe all current) of their 5G in the low to mid range frequencies. AT&T and Verizon almost exclusively use mm wave- short range and unable to penetrate walls. Faster, WHEN it works.

Reactions: TheKrell
T-Mobile has most (maybe all current) of their 5G in the low to mid range frequencies. AT&T and Verizon almost exclusively use mm wave- short range and unable to penetrate walls. Faster, WHEN it works.
Would hanging a type of antenna outside, running a cable into the house to the modem help with the signal?

Just like OTA, I have no idea if that will work with 5G.

Would hanging a type of antenna outside, running a cable into the house to the modem help with the signal?

Just like OTA, I have no idea if that will work with 5G.
T-Mobile announced last moth they were coming out with a 5G setup like that.

Reactions: TheKrell
I have T-mobile and have had it for years, but where I live in the park the signal doesn't come in strong enough to maintain the signal on my Sirius Xm app for music. When I drive from the back of the park to the front I lose signal in the middle and doesn't come back till I hit the highway. T-mobile told me that they are working to get another Cell tower out there that would fix that, but I have seen nothing near us. It took me years to get a better signal for T-mobile to come in at my work site. The coverage actually stops half way through the bridge going towards Sabine Pass. I have also noticed that I don't get but 3 bars inside my house but if I go to the outside the signal comes up. This is why I have stayed with Spectrum Cable for my internet. Reliable strong signal at 300 mpbs download and 22.7 upload and I am only paying $60.30 with tax included to have it because I got a discount for a year. Supposed to call back in May to reup it.

T-Mobile announced last moth they were coming out with a 5G setup like that.
Maybe I will be able to get it then, since I live in what I call, a semi rural area, cell phone signal blows here, the only reason why we have broadband is because of money from the government.

For mm wave 5G, there is usually an antenna outside the home, feeding inside. Some report success (with OLD windows) putting that antenna just inside a window. Either way, antenna must be aimed at the tower with no obstructions. Early reports were of the signal only going about 900 feet. An obvious non starter. I can only surmise the big two were counting on some technological advancement.

T-Mobile should have came out with a modem that had external antenna ports in the beginning before offering home internet service. Right now its a kludge of taking the modem apart to use the internal antenna connections, if you want to add an external antenna. I had T-Mobile Home Internet for a year and finally gave up and went back to Cox after a weekend of barely any service. The constant modem lock ups or signal dropping as it switched towers usually due to congestion was more than I wanted to deal with.

I'm fortunate in that Cox ran fiber thru my neighborhood last year, but unfortunately there is no other competition from Windstreams derelict copper 3Mbps DSL, so Cox is still expensive and data capped at 1.25TB for fiber and cox service. I have symmetrical 500/500 fiber but I keep my Calyx 5G hotspot that runs on T-Mobile as backup and for the end of the month if I'm getting close to the data cap. The Calyx hotspot seems to have a higher priority than the T-Mobile Home Internet. I usually get 300/10 from the hotspot and it doesn't lock up like the TMHI modem.

Comcast down 490,000 video subs.

Also lost 18,000 Broadband.

So with Verizon losses, already at 568,000 video subs gone this quarter.

Surprised they lost broadband.
low price of 5G.

While not available to me here, just checked back home, sub-division in a high population area( Metro Detroit), Verizon and T-Mobile now available.

When we moved from there in 2020, only Comcast, cost was over $100 for just Gigabit Broadband.

Surprised they lost broadband.

I'm surprised they didn't lose more. The cable companies are in a world of hurt, they're getting it from all angles. The last thing they had was home internet, but 5G will start to cannibalize that. Should we start a GoFundMe for the poor cable companies? :sorrow

I'm surprised they didn't lose more. The cable companies are in a world of hurt, they're getting it from all angles. The last thing they had was home internet, but 5G will start to cannibalize that. Should we start a GoFundMe for the poor cable companies? :sorrow
Might explain why they are looking to expand to the underserved areas ( with the Government’s help), no competition since 5G does not reach that far for rural areas.

Like I wrote, this area ( I call it semi-rural in my opinion) did not have Broadband until 2018, while back in Michigan, since 1996 in a metro area.

But cell phone signals really suck here, have the phone in wifi calling mode.

Wish we had options. We're paying $90/mo for 1gb down 35mb up from Cox, and another $50 for unlimited data (plan only comes w/ 1.25gb cap). We use about 4tb/mo (all legit, no torrents, etc)

VZW and TMobile has never been strong enough in my location for the home services to be enough competition to qualify for Cox offers. I have friends who have been able to get 15-30 off their bill and/or free unlimited data in areas where 5g / Centurylink are competitive.

Just seems like churn at this point. While FWA is stealing some broadband from cable, cable wireless is stealing cellular customers from wireless companies. I'll be curious to see how sticky those churned customers end up being. Of course, with Google Fiber, Ting, AT&T, Frontier, etc. expanding their footprint in cities, cable is going to have to rely more heavily on rural broadband customers who probably aren't going to be as likely to go with FWA broadband.

I'll be curious to see Charter's broadband numbers.