Transfer data from External Hard Drive?

cognitive77

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
Here's my problem. Had a 500GB Western Digital HD hooked up to my Dish DVR, paid the fee for hookup and worked great for months. At one point, when trying to access the HD, the circular light on the front of the HD would continuously blink. Unplugging/powering off the HD would not resolve the issue.

I take the HD out of its case and hook up to my desktop PC. Windows does not recognize the HD. I downloaded a data recovery tool (Get Data Back). This tool does recognize the drive but am still unable to recover the data. The drive does seem to power up as I can hear/feel the drive spinning. I'm just wondering if there could be something wrong with the boot process that Dish installed on this.

Does anyone know of a way that I could recover this data and transfer it to a new drive once I've reformatted one on my DVR?

I wish I had an answer for you. I have a 1 TB Seagate Showcase USB 2.0 external HD that was promoted by Dish Network. Paid my setup fee also. Worked great for about 6 months. Now receiver will not recognize the HD with all of my saved programs on it. What's up with this? Can someone help us figure it out?

Had the same problem once and tried to blame it on the DVR...they even replaced it. Turned out to be a bad power brick for the EHD.

I wish I had an answer for you. I have a 1 TB Seagate Showcase USB 2.0 external HD that was promoted by Dish Network. Paid my setup fee also. Worked great for about 6 months. Now receiver will not recognize the HD with all of my saved programs on it. What's up with this? Can someone help us figure it out?
Try a power boot (hold the power button in on the receiver) I had a couple of drives that my 622 wouldn't recognize at times...

My issue is specifically with this just one HD. I have another identical HD that works just fine. I'm just wondering what type, if any, of boot process is installed on these by Dish when they are connected to the DVR for the first time. I know that the process reformats the HD, using Linux I believe.

I'm just wondering if that boot process is somehow corrupt. The Get Data Back application I've tried finds the data and splits it into two partitions. The first partition is roughly 1GB, which is what I'm assuming is some type of boot file/Dish thing. The other 466GB partition is obviously the data. Now the other possibility is that there was something wrong with the external HD case, preventing it from booting up all the way (weak power maybe?).

The power brick is out of the question since I took the same power brick from the other identical unit and it still would not boot (light would just continuously blink).

are you familiar with windows disk management?

roght click "my computer" and select manage

The drive does show up under Disk Management. Status reads has healthy but doesn't tell me much otherwise, I believe due to the Linux format that Dish applies on connection.

Guess I could partition a drive to dual boot with Linux. This may let me pull the data off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)