trouble installing motor on KU dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

breynold76

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 1, 2017
st louis,mo
None of the holes for the screws seem to line up with what I'm supposed to be doing and I'm a little confused about what goes where.
IMG_0123.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG

The dish is missing the pole clamp. The motor tube is supposed to be installed inside the dish's pole clamp. Then the dish elevation angle is set to the declination angle provided in the motor install manual (probably between 20-30 degrees) and the motor latitude mount angle is set to match your install location latitude.

Reactions: Lee60 and KE4EST
You are missing this piece--->
upload_2017-9-14_22-18-43.jpeg

It will look something like this with the proper pole clamp--->
upload_2017-9-14_22-19-33.jpeg

Reactions: Lee60
The dish is missing the pole clamp. The motor tube is supposed to be installed inside the dish's pole clamp. Then the dish elevation angle is set to the declination angle provided in the motor install manual (probably between 20-30 degrees) and the motor latitude mount angle is set to match your install location latitude.

I took the pole clamp out attempting to make it fit. Those two support arms that come together with a bolt and nut are blocking any pole from sliding through. If I take those support arms off will it make the dish weak?

Aren't the two side supports supposed to be attached to the top through-bolt of the elevation mount and the pole clamp?

The top through-bolt is removed to insert the motor post, the the through-bolt then passes through the two support arms, the elevation mount, the pole clamp and the motor post.

Aren't the two side supports supposed to be attached to the top through-bolt of the elevation mount and the pole clamp?

The top through bolt is removed to insert the motor post, the the through-bolt passes through the support arms, the elevation mount, the pole clamp and the motor post.

That is probably correct. The instructions that came with the dish were not very good. I was wrong and connected them together instead of with the post. I will try that.

Please post a photo of the dish assembly instructions. What brand/model is the dish?

Maybe this dish model isn't compatible with top loading motors and requires a bottom loading type like the Stab HH90.

Some mounts can be inverted to allow top loading. Maybe use two short carriage bolts rather than the one long through-bolt?

Please post a photo of the dish assembly instructions. What brand/model is the dish? Maybe it isn't compatible with top loading motors and requires a bottom loading type like the Stab HH90. Some mounts can be inverted to allow top loading.
It has been a while since I first installed the dish and the instructions that came with it are gone. The dish is a Digiwave DWD80T 33inch.

Homevision (Digiwave) might be able to email an assembly sheet. Digiwave 33 inch Offset Satellite Dish

Try replacing the long through-bolt with two shorter carriage bolts. Also would be easier to align the dish if the clamp could have a perfectly parallel hole to bolt through the motor post. Not a requirement, but simplifies alignment and keeps the dish secured and aligned to the motor post.

Reactions: breynold76
I have an older digiwave 33" set up on the deck as a stationary dish, no motor. Here's some pictures of the mast adapter as it fits onto the dish; minus the brackets supplied with the new model:

IMG_4212 (Medium).JPG
IMG_4211 (Medium).JPG

I also have an SG2100 motor mounted on a 90cm dish:
IMG_4214 (Medium).JPG

Sometimes a picture is worth more than 10,000 words! :)

Reactions: KE4EST
I have an older digiwave 33" set up on the deck as a stationary dish, no motor. Here's some pictures of the mast adapter as it fits onto the dish; minus the brackets supplied with the new model:

View attachment 128228 View attachment 128227

I also have an SG2100 motor mounted on a 90cm dish:View attachment 128230

Sometimes a picture is worth more than 10,000 words! :)

so my dish is probably fine without those brackets? I haven't got a chance to get back out there and mess with the dish yet. it would probably be an easier install without having to deal with the brackets.

The brackets help to strengthen the connection between the pole clamp and the dish. If you are not exposed to high winds etc, should not really affect operation without them. I would leave them on if possible though, the newer clamp to bracket assembly might not be as strong as the one I have so the brackets might be required to keep the assembly rigid.
Good luck!

Reactions: KE4EST
OK I was able to get everything put together. Now I'm having an issue with the elevation on the dish because I do not have a marker that shows where you're at with elevation. my dish elevation is supposed to be at 24 but I can tell just by looking at it it it is not right because it's pointed straight at the ground. I was using the edge of the nut that holds it together as the reference but it looks like that was wrong so I'm not sure where else I should go to fix the elevation.
IMG_0134.JPG

I may be wrong, but I would use the center of the bolt as the reference point. In reality, those numbers just get you in the ballpark. You get signal and then adjust as needed to get the best signal.

You might post a picture of it all setting on the post. There might be something else, that we are not seeing.

I believe that dish has an offset angle of approximately 23 degrees. If the elevation mount scale is set at 23 degrees, the reflector vertical face will appear to be vertical. Offset dishes are actually aimed at an angle that is higher than the face is aimed at.

Mounted on the motor post, the reflector angle should be angled to approximately 23 degrees lower than the true south satellite elevation.

Example: if Dishpointer indicates your true south elevation angle to be 45 degrees, the actual measured angle of the dish face will be approximately 22 degrees.

Last edited:
I can't get to the dish until tomorrow to take a picture. The center of the bolt is where I should put the elevation.
Just to double check my bad math, I live in st louis mo. Latitude 38, longitude 90. I come up with 46* on the motor and 24* on the dish. So I should be starting out on 91w or 89w since there is no satellite at 90?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)