Trouble Timer-Recording with Duo 222k Receiver

KingB84

Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
PNW
I have the updates mode disabled. However, the receiver keeps powering down in the middle of the night. I shut the tv off around 11:30 pm, and had a timer-recording set for 12:40 am. At approximately 1:50 am the receiver started to power down. I have a Maganavox DVD Recorder/VCR combo. There is a code to run the DVD portion, but I can't find a code for the vcr side. I tried to setup the DVD/VCR for the ERD and nothing happened. The code for the DVD Recorder was 617 (1st one) but none found for the vcr half. This is frustrating only because the receiver keeps shutting off while I try to timer-record. I have been using the Autotune for the timer type. The receiver is SUPPOSED to turn on if it is off for these selected programs....but no. I'm not sure how to overcome this issue. I always change the channel before heading to the bedroom, so there was some activity. I know this isn't very organized, but there are many issues. I'll try to prioritize my Q's now.
1) Why does the receiver continue to power down (Disabled!!)
2) Any advice on being able to get the receiver to run the VCR/DVD combo (ERD)
3) Is it possible there isn't a VCR code that will work

Thanks for any help or ideas.

1. As far as I know, you cannot disable the nightly updates, so I am not sure what you may have disabled (it may be the inactivity timer) but the receiver will shut off once the update is done, nothing you can do about that. The nightly downloads are not supposed to interfere with recordings, so if your vcr was set up correctly this should not happen either. Since you don't have the correct code for your vcr and you are using the auto tune, it will shut off once the update is done. What I would do is change the update for later, if sounds like it may be set for around 2am.
2 & 3. The codes for vcr/dvd combos don't seem to work correctly with Dish. You may be better off getting one or the other.

Well, I'm going to have to be "one of those guys". You have a HD reciever, and assuming you have it because you have an HDTV, why do you want to make composite, SD recordings, especially on a VCR? If you do a lot a lot of recordings, look into one of Dish's HD DVRs, or even the 211 with EHD.

And correct. You Can Not disable updates.

1. Set the nightly update to a later time.
2. Turn off the inactivity timer.
3. Set an auto-tune timer on the 222 for 30 minutes after the nightly update time.

If this does not fix the problem, there may be a problem with the inactivity timer on the 222.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)