Trying to decide whether to Voom

B

bbtkd

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 11, 2004
309
1
Hello - I have had a 65" Mitsu HD capable TV sitting in my living room for about 2 years with no HD sources - it's time to get some use of HD. I like the Voom offering and despite the recent problems, I realize that they are going to have problems to begin with - any service does.

Anyway, yesterday I went to Sears to play with it. I found their Voom display but the HDTV it was connected to was on a cable channel. Nobody offered assistance, so I got the TV switched to Voom only to find that it had locked up the day before. I got it reset and played with it for a while, but they only had the basic subscription and no locals set up. I played with it for 15 minutes while several salespeople passed by but never stopped.

After 15 minutes, I finally found the staff standing around talking. I tried to ask some questions but they were clueless - at first looking at me like I was an alien - uttering such terms as Voom and sattelite. Finally another salesman passed by who claimed to know all about it. He could not explain to me the benefits of my paying $49 for a coupon which I would get credit for when calling to schedule install. He did not tell me about free service that is included until I asked about it.

From what I can tell, the Sears deal seems to be losing benefit as June 1st approaches. Also - if the free package is only the basics, then not sure how/if it would benefit someone like me who would want the full package. If I were Voom, I would not be pleased with Sears if the local store is any indication of their interest in selling it or their knowledge.

Anyone get the Sears deal but go with the Va-Va-Voom package? Was there any benefit? Are there any better ways to buy it - or should I rent? I probably would buy a DVR when they come out, so perhaps rental is the answer. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
 
wasch_24

wasch_24

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 30, 2004
1,073
0
Nothern Virginia, D.C. Area
First off, the Sears debacle was a big mistake by Voom. I haven't talked to anyone that has been able to garner any information, good or bad from a Sears store, including myself. I'm not up to speed with the $49 deal, is it pretty much a coupon for your first bill? Any way, if you call 1-800-GET-VOOM by May 31st you can have the satellite dish and an OTA antenna installed for free, rent the box for $9.50/month, and evaluate it with no risk. There is no cancellation fee, no contract, nada. All you need is a card with a Visa logo on it. Also, as it stands now it looks like when you are renting you will probably get the DVR upgrade. That could change but that's the impression that most folks agree on.
 
The Stone Man

The Stone Man

Centennial, Colorado
Supporting Founder
Feb 15, 2004
872
0
Centennial, Colorado
Wasch 24 is absolutely right. Skip Sears and go direct to Voom, either by calling or going to the www.voom.com website. New subscribers can get set up for FREE. If you don't like it during the trial period, call Voom and tell them to come and get their stuff back.
 
J

jimmykce1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 5, 2004
801
0
Never deal with Sears. I just called 1-800-get-voom and signed up over the phone. They will schedule your a installation date and time over the phone.
 
MNHTUG

MNHTUG

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
292
0
BBTKD--

What is there to decide? Just get it. You can lease the equipment and there is no contract. If you do not like it, cancel. No commitments.
 
W

wbuffetta

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 18, 2004
305
0
If Your Going To VOOM Make Sure You Have A Clear LOS Of The East(Not South).
 
S

Seanb61

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 4, 2004
324
0
Chicago
wbuffetta said:
If Your Going To VOOM Make Sure You Have A Clear LOS Of The East(Not South).


south east that is...
 
M

madpoet

Too Much Hi Def!
Supporting Founder
Mar 3, 2004
1,154
0
Vernon, CT
Er... depends on where you live. Almost due south for me.

-MP
 
L

Lobstah

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 6, 2004
444
0
And make sure you're interested in HD material...that's what VOOM is all about...

Lob
 
vurbano

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
Lobstah said:
And make sure you're interested in HD material...that's what VOOM is all about...

Lob
Im sorry but how could anyone not be? LMAO I couldnt resist saying that. I think the Poster will find that HD material is a bit like a drug.
 
vurbano

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
bbtkd said:
Hello - I have had a 65" Mitsu HD capable TV sitting in my living room for about 2 years with no HD sources - it's time to get some use of HD. I like the Voom offering and despite the recent problems, I realize that they are going to have problems to begin with - any service does.

Anyway, yesterday I went to Sears to play with it. I found their Voom display but the HDTV it was connected to was on a cable channel. Nobody offered assistance, so I got the TV switched to Voom only to find that it had locked up the day before. I got it reset and played with it for a while, but they only had the basic subscription and no locals set up. I played with it for 15 minutes while several salespeople passed by but never stopped.

After 15 minutes, I finally found the staff standing around talking. I tried to ask some questions but they were clueless - at first looking at me like I was an alien - uttering such terms as Voom and sattelite. Finally another salesman passed by who claimed to know all about it. He could not explain to me the benefits of my paying $49 for a coupon which I would get credit for when calling to schedule install. He did not tell me about free service that is included until I asked about it.

From what I can tell, the Sears deal seems to be losing benefit as June 1st approaches. Also - if the free package is only the basics, then not sure how/if it would benefit someone like me who would want the full package. If I were Voom, I would not be pleased with Sears if the local store is any indication of their interest in selling it or their knowledge.

Anyone get the Sears deal but go with the Va-Va-Voom package? Was there any benefit? Are there any better ways to buy it - or should I rent? I probably would buy a DVR when they come out, so perhaps rental is the answer. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
#1 you need to research the proper antenna first at this website http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx
if omnidirectional is not recommended then you need to fight tooth and nail to get the installer to bring the directional antenna that voom offers! And believe me it will be a fight. But if the stealth(vooms basic antenna,an omnidirectional antenna) isnt appropriate, then you will end up installing a different one (a directional antenna) yourself or scheduling another appointment. And you will not be a happy camper.
#2 order the zero install deal 1-800-get-voom and rent it
 
B

bbtkd

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 11, 2004
309
1
I did it

Well - I did it. The lady I talked to was very pleaseant - but I had to repeat my phone number about 5 different times, and my Email twice. When I checked online later, they had mispelled my Email address and my password hint though I had spelled them out several times. The whole process took about 15-20 minutes - it seems that something was not working as she expected and had to get help.

I had hoped they could tell me who the installer is so that I can alert them to my preference for the larger antenna and possible need for a tripod, but they could not tell me who the installer was - but she did assure me that they would have larger dishes with them. Seems funny she can't tell me who, but knows what they have in the truck! I'm not worried much about the locals as their antennas are all on huge towers about 5 miles from me - line of sight.
 
vurbano

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
bbtkd said:
Well - I did it. The lady I talked to was very pleaseant - but I had to repeat my phone number about 5 different times, and my Email twice. When I checked online later, they had mispelled my Email address and my password hint though I had spelled them out several times. The whole process took about 15-20 minutes - it seems that something was not working as she expected and had to get help.

I had hoped they could tell me who the installer is so that I can alert them to my preference for the larger antenna and possible need for a tripod, but they could not tell me who the installer was - but she did assure me that they would have larger dishes with them. Seems funny she can't tell me who, but knows what they have in the truck! I'm not worried much about the locals as their antennas are all on huge towers about 5 miles from me - line of sight.
5 miles? omg all you need is a coathanger.LMAO you might be able to do it with an indoor antenna ...lmao
 
vurbano

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
bbtkd said:
Well - I did it. The lady I talked to was very pleaseant - but I had to repeat my phone number about 5 different times, and my Email twice. When I checked online later, they had mispelled my Email address and my password hint though I had spelled them out several times. The whole process took about 15-20 minutes - it seems that something was not working as she expected and had to get help.

I had hoped they could tell me who the installer is so that I can alert them to my preference for the larger antenna and possible need for a tripod, but they could not tell me who the installer was - but she did assure me that they would have larger dishes with them. Seems funny she can't tell me who, but knows what they have in the truck! I'm not worried much about the locals as their antennas are all on huge towers about 5 miles from me - line of sight.
Installs inc sent me an email with the installer info on it.
 

Similar threads

L
Replies
77
Views
10K
James Long
J
D
Replies
9
Views
1K
DragonLips
D
S
Replies
3
Views
1K
Sean Mota
S
S
Replies
53
Views
5K
Walter L.
W

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top