Trying To Get G19 with a Motor

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I got a motorized dish
Are you mounting the dish on the motor, or directly on the pole?
If on the motor, remove motor and mount the dish directly on the pole.
Get to 'know' aiming of the dish alone. Get a 'feel' for this procedure first.
Then after you are comfortable with aiming the dish to various satellites, add the motor.
again:
DISH AIMING - FIXED DISH

www.dishpointer.com to get your aim, elevation and skew.
Set dish to elevation listed.
Set skew to angle listed. When facing the dish, the LNBF is twisted CCW if the satellite is West of you. CW if it's East.
(For the next step, I'm assuming the receiver is properly programmed with LNB and transponder info. If unsure
I would suggest reading, and getting an understanding of, the operation of the LNBF and receiver
by reading the post here: LNB LO Frequency - 101
Without having the settings in the meter and receiver correct, you're shooting blanks in the dark.
No bird will ever fall.)

Watching the tune up screen, with a known active transponder selected, move the dish in small steps across the line dishpointer paints on the page. Start with dish aimed east of, and end just west of the dishpointer line.
Wait a few seconds before performing another small step. It may take up to 10 seconds for the receiver to 'lock' the signal and display Quality.
If no Quality is attained, raise or lower the elevation no more than 1 degree and repeat. Once Quality 'registers' maximize the reading with even smaller steps L-R & up-dn.
Once you're tuned up on a known satellite, mark the pole/dish mount relationship.
This is a "GOTO" reference when adjusting your dish to other satellites.
After that 'settles in' try to find another satellite by repeating the above.

Once you're very comfortable with that, add the motor .(start a new thread)
WHY wait? It's beneficial to have multiple satellites programmed and working to set up the motor.
Nice to have at least one near your due south, and others towards the E and W.

Meters, IMHO, can be very helpful for those with experience, and just as confusing if 'how it works' isn't understood.
I'm slow at typing, Titanium an you have posted multiple times since I started. I hope this is all still relevant.

Reactions: Titanium
How is you dish mounted? Directly on the pole or on the motor?????

MODS
Maybe split the portions of the thread concerning jeff111 into it's own thread??
Tried reviewing the posted info but would confuse with peg110's posted info
Hyjacked threads can get a bit confuseing---
At this point I no longer know if peg110 is up n running or not/

Ok, let's start from step one, will you install as a fixed dish or on the motor? We will then assist based on that decision.

Edit: Good catch Fat Air! I didn't even notice the thread was hijacked... :)

Moderator: could this be broke off to a new thread?

Reactions: FaT Air
The motor is mounted to the pole,then the dish is mounted
If I go to a stationary dish,will I have to replace the LNB?
Thanks

NO. everything is the same.
Mount dish on pole, no motor,
Then confirm G19 satellite transponder settings
And LNB settings.
Then go to dishpointer and follow instructions posted earlier. #21

The LNB has one connection,where will I connect the cables,The connections are on the motor itself.

Do not use the motor connectors. Run the coax straight from the receiver to the LNBF. Put motor back in the box for now.

Well,I got the dish stationary and Iam on 87w again,and cant beam in on another satellite.I am back where I was no where.Also the skew is supposed to be 26occ.How many marks on LNB do I move it to attain 26occ.Thanks

That is really dependent on the manufacture of the LNBF. The ones I am familiar with are about 3 marks for every 15°.
So I would say four or five.
If in front of the dish yes go about 25deg CCW from 0. Drop dish elevation about 3.5° and come over to the west.

Reactions: Titanium
If you have a smartphone, install the free Stanley Level app. Place the phone on the vertical plane of the LNBF cap and align with the "0" skew mark, then rotate LNBF phone to the correct angle. Facing the front of dish rotate counterclockwise. If the skew has not been set close to the required setting, it is highly possible that you will not lock onto the 97w satellite.

Would you mind sharing your DishPointer map for 97w? Does the dish arm line-up with the Green line overlay and corresponding landmark on the Google map?

Sighting up the bottom side of the LNBF support arm from behind the dish and aimed towards 97w, does the arm point above any trees or other potential signal blocking objects? The actual look angle of the dish is slightly above this sight line.

I did what you said,I still only pick on 87w,I will try the other.My zip code is 28460, 2201 hwy 172.Ill just wait til you look at it.Thanks

In order to help, we really need answers to questions instead of "I tried that". We aren't looking over your shoulder and seeing what you see, so we need to know information to assist.

I have helped thousands of folks over the phone with their install of an FTA system. I am sure that we can help you, but this is an interactive process...

I can't tell much from the DishPointer map unless the pointer is placed at the exact dish mount position. Have you placed the DishPointer app pointer at the dish mount location and verified that the dish arm is aimed approximately at the same landmark that the Green overlay line is pointed at:

1. Current 87w position (when channels are being received)?

2. When the dish is rotated to the 97w satellite?
2e2ee5dcd7101576f908aee7a97dfbe0.jpg

3. Standing in front of the dish looking at the back of the LNBF, is the LNBF rotated 26 degrees counter clockwise when trying to receive 97w?

4. Sighting up the bottom of the LNBF arm from behind the dish, does the arm clear any obstacles when trying to receive 97w?

That address, puts the green marker right in the middle of hwy 172(these things aren't perfect).....

Dang Brian you beat me too it. :)

Well,I got the dish stationary and Iam on 87w again,and cant beam in on another satellite.I am back where I was no where.Also the skew is supposed to be 26occ.How many marks on LNB do I move it to attain 26occ.Thanks
Here is an example of what 0° and 26° CCW skew look like. As Brian said, this is when you are in front of the dish.
LNB Skew 26CCW.jpg Click on the image to make it full size. :)

Yes,standing in front it is rotated 26o. Yes it clears obstacles

I moved the green dot to my trailer. My ph.###-###-####

Admin Note: Removed phone number from public view.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. In the Current 87w position (when channels are being received), is the dish arm aimed approximately at the same landmark that the Green overlay line is pointed on DishPointer 87w calculation?

2. When the dish is rotated to the 97w satellite is the dish arm aimed approximately at the same landmark that the Green overlay line is pointed on DishPointer 97w calculation?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)