Trying to get RTP on old radio shack dish! Need help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

carnut510

Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Quick run down, 15 years ago we purchased my dad a Radio Shack/Memorex System from radio shack for a whopping 600-700 bucks, so he could watch his portuguese channel (RTP). Well he and I installed this massive 8-9 foot dish. And although I never setup the dish to track the other satellites, I found his rtp which I think used to be on t2. Haha were the only ones in the area with such a massive dish. Anyhoot, about 6 years ago I purchased a Pansat 1000 and a new LNB. Installed them both, and after many hours got it to work! After RTP moved, maybe 3-4 years ago my parents purchased dish network. So they pay 5 bucks a month for rtp. But today I felt like giving the old dish a shot. So I found thsi great site! I need help though, as I don't know where to start! What needs to be done to my pansat, and where should my dish be pointing? Im in california. Thanks guys! Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome!

For the Record - RTP = Portugal TV, right?

The good news is that RTP is on AMC4 (101 West), and you might be able to pick up the radio channel with that as well. That should be easy to shoot from California.

The other news is that the 8-9 foot dish will be more than fine (all it needs is a 30-35" dish, really) -- provided it is either solid or a fine mesh (can you stick a pencil though the holes?). But, you will need a Ku LNB. It is on C-Band, but at 55.5 West, I don't know if it'll hit the West Coast as easily.

Is the Pansat 1000 digital? I don't know a lot about receivers other than mine, sorry!

I hope that helps a little. If you put up your ZIP code, you might get some help on aiming if you need it.

Last edited:
welcome

If you poke in your zip code to this web site, it'll print out a PDF file for you with all the satellites listed, and how to aim at them from where you are.

The FTAlist site has an easy-to-use list of Ku band satellites and what's on them.
Even have a listing by language, if that helps.
The Global CM site has several lists, including Ku, and C-band.

The Pansat 1000 is a DVB reciever so all you have to do is aim at AMC4 (W4 101 west) and put in the digital info

12169 freuqency
H polarity
3003 symbol rate

Also make sure the LNB on the dish can support KU Band :)

Yes it is a mesh dish. I will mess with it when I get home a little, Well I think the LNB Supports KU band, but I dont have the hardware, Because I only have one cable hooked up at the lnb, and Im pretty sure its a C-band LNB. I will post some pictures maybe later, maybe you guys can tell me what I have.

Okay it is in fact just a C-band dish, if I do buy a KU band, which ones do you guys suggest? And my second question is I am going to shoot for the C-band satellite, is the digital info I enter on the pansat the same as the amc satellite?

Okay it is in fact just a C-band dish, if I do buy a KU band, which ones do you guys suggest?
I would get a 76cm or larger dish. Since you said the dish is mesh the holes might be too big for KU to work right.

And my second question is I am going to shoot for the C-band satellite, is the digital info I enter on the pansat the same as the amc satellite?

nope. Different info

For the C-Band satellite its
4080 freq
V polarity
4340 symbol rate

So I went to the web Sites mentioned yesterday and found the satellite info, after about 30 mins I had it working! Thanks guys! Any other channels or radio stations on that Satellite? What are the #'s. I tried a few listed on the web site but the receiver did not find any channels. Thanks again guys!

Carnut510 are you pointing at the Ku band satellite?

Edit - Carnut510 I just PM'd you a blind scan of the free channels on AMC 4 @ 101 Degrees West.

Last edited:
Nope I don't have a KU LNB so Im pointing at intelsat 805 @ 55 West. Its working fine for me, but I was just curious if there were any other FTA channels on that satellite, so Far I only have 2.

yep there is

MPEG

scroll down to 55.5 degrees...lots of stuff from South America

how to read the info
H-3431 1719 3/4 03.492 0100 0110 XHTVL-9 Villahermosa, Mexico

H polarity
3431 frequency
3492 is the symbol rate
the rest is moot :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)