Status
Please reply by conversation.

cbfarrand

Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Gilbert, AZ
HI All,

New to FTA and this forum.

I am setting up a Low Power, FCC Part 15, AM Radio station. I get my programming from several networks that offer FTA feeds. I currently get their feeds via Internet. All networks broadcast via Galaxy 25, 97 degrees west (whatever that means) so I believe they are on the same satellite just different channels? I am looking to get a FTA setup that will allow me to switch channels at predetermined times to correspond with my programming schedule. So the question is are there FTA tuners that can be programmed, either internally or externally, to change channels at a specific time? This sounds like it should be easy to me but I have no idea about FTA stuff. I hope this makes sense. I appreciate any, hopefully non technical, information you can provide.

Chuck
Gilbert, AZ

Galaxy 19 at 97.0°W - LyngSat (Sorry for live link, I couldn't get it to not be?) This website is a good place to start. As you read down the list, you will find the RADIO stations are lower case than the TV chanels.

Your question concerning the rebroadcast of satellite received radio stations I'm sure will prompt a plethora of responses of the legal aspects needed to be covered... I am assuming you are putting this together for commercial purposes and it is not a Boy Scout project...

Your last sentence gives me pause...

Last edited:
T4Runner

I have affiliate agreements with the networks I am broadcasting. I just want to receive their content via FTA satellite instead of the current Internet stream method. That is why I need a satellite tuner that can be programmed to change channels at the desired time. My current studio automation software is programmed to capture the desired Internet stream at the proper time. I just am having to deal with the various delays because the varying stream rates.

HI All,

New to FTA and this forum.

I am setting up a Low Power, FCC Part 15, AM Radio station. I get my programming from several networks that offer FTA feeds. I currently get their feeds via Internet. All networks broadcast via Galaxy 25, 97 degrees west (whatever that means) so I believe they are on the same satellite just different channels? I am looking to get a FTA setup that will allow me to switch channels at predetermined times to correspond with my programming schedule. So the question is are there FTA tuners that can be programmed, either internally or externally, to change channels at a specific time? This sounds like it should be easy to me but I have no idea about FTA stuff. I hope this makes sense. I appreciate any, hopefully non technical, information you can provide.

Chuck
Gilbert, AZ

Chuck,

Just about any FTA receiver has the capability that you are searching for. You just set up the timers to switch the channels at the predetermined time and day. Most FTA receivers allow you to set up eight events or timers, at least five for sure. Most receivers will provide you with the option to set these timers to switch channels one time only, every day or for one specific day of the week, etc.

If you are just rebroadcasting radio programs, you don't need much of a receiver, nothing fancy or expensive. If the channels are all on one satellite, you won't require a motor to adjust the dish and that alone eliminates a lot of problems and concerns.

A Coolsat 4000, 5000 or 6000 receiver should be perfect for this endeavor. They can be found used, cheap, on EBay. Fortec Star receivers can be purchased new, I think they have all the capabilities you would need and there are multitudes of others available that will do the same thing and be inexpensive and user friendly.

The challenge for you is not in finding the right receiver, it is in knowing what to do with it once you have it. If you are not familiar with FTA satellite systems, you must spend a great deal of time researching this before you jump into your radio project. There is a vast amount of information to cover in this arena.

I am very suprised that you would ponder this enterprise without having a background in satellite (or particularly FTA satellite) technology ahead of time. You will have to refer to the FAQ section on this forum and read all the "stickies" before you start asking questions about satellite technology. Much of the basic knowledge that you require is contained there as well as the advanced knowledge. Read all of these things first, then do some "GOOGLE" research on your own as well. Try to sort it all out in your mind as best you can. Then try to apply as much as you can before asking questions. The reason for this is so that you will be able to ask educated and specific questions and not just broad based or vague questions.

If you have absolutely NO knowledge of satellite technology, it will be difficult for us to explain everything to you step by step. So, get some research out of the way on your own first. Then, the technical information that we pass on to you when you ask questions won't be entirely done in Latin or Greek! :) I think that you understand what I mean here. Just trying to keep it simple.

Good luck!

RADAR

You should consider a commercial rack mount receiver if the system is meant to be operated 24/7 rather than a STB that is designed for consumer home use.

The GEOSATpro DSR-R100 series of commercial receivers are quite cost effective and capable of timer operation. The DSR-R100b features unbalanced audio and RCA connections, while the DSR-R100 features balanced XLR audio and BNC video connections. We have shipped thousands of the DSR-R100 series receivers in the past few years with excellent engineering reports.

You should also purchase a dish that is considered oversized for the typical home user. Most radio stations install a 1.2M - 1.8M offset dish for commercial KU band reception. We do have a complete commercial package that includes telephone technical assistance. This package has everything you will need for a standard install including shipping It is quite popular for cable and broadcaster applications.

Last edited:
I question the whole project to begin with because a true part 15 AM radio station has a limit of 200 feet to maybe 500 feet with a great receiver. I have seen people who claim to be within the rules getting a mile out of their transmitter but if you do some testing its violating FCC rules. I see you're in the Phoenix area so maybe you are doing this to share programming with a few dozen folks in neighboring buildings and thats fine but I hope you're not dreaming of reaching the entire city with this station. If so you will get yourself into trouble.

Brian,

Thanks for the reply. I assumed that I would need a more commercial system to do what I needed but wasn't getting any answers from other sources I contacted. Looking at your site and the system you referenced, looks like it would do the trick. If I were to visit your facility, are you able to do a system demo?

Bob2011,

I don't want to debate the merits of Part 15 broadcasting in this forum but if you would like more information I would be happy to direct you.

Thanks again.

Chuck

If you are doing it from computer, one possible solution may be to get a USB or PCI DVB-S QPSK tuner card, although a standalone receiver is ultimately simpler.

Another option for automation, is to get receiver controllable by serial, or an IR blaster in your automation.
Most consumer receivers do have timers, but your clock has to be reasonably accurate. I find that the clock on FTA satellite greatly varies.

If you are doing it from computer, one possible solution may be to get a USB or PCI DVB-S QPSK tuner card, although a standalone receiver is ultimately simpler.

Another option for automation, is to get receiver controllable by serial, or an IR blaster in your automation.
Most consumer receivers do have timers, but your clock has to be reasonably accurate. I find that the clock on FTA satellite greatly varies.

I don't mean to infer that the AZBox is the receiver to choose in this situation, but I would like to address the issue of the "clock".

For my AZBox, I set the "TIME" via the internet using the time.mit.edu URL. You set this up using the AUTO-SYNCHRONIZE option in the LANGUAGE/TIME menu of this receiver. This option takes you directly to the MIT website and sets your clock. It is highly accurate, to the second.

If you obtain a system that offers this, use this route oposed to any time sync done via a satellite transponder. I have one of those atomic clocks that syncs up with the clock in Colorado somewhere to be the most accurate. I watch the seconds tick away on it and compare it to my AZBox time after using the MIT sync and they are spot on.

I don't know how useful this information will be to you, but there it is for you to use.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts