Turned 70 Yesterday!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Wow, gone into a second page? You guys are too kind!

Speaking of new toys, got that LR.308 rifle I built fine tuned last weekend so now I"m ready! :wink

You really shouldn't play with it anywhere near Phoenix. Just sayin', especially if you're looking to make 71!

:D;)

You really shouldn't play with it anywhere near Phoenix. Just sayin', especially if you're looking to make 71!

:D;)

Notice my location? I'm not anywhere near the left coast nor do I have any interest in ever going there!

This .308 is basically for home defense and an occasional deer hunt.

Notice my location? I'm not anywhere near the left coast nor do I have any interest in ever going there!
Sorry, the SatelliteGuys iOS App doesn't give any avatar info, just an image at the top of the post.

My brother's birthday is this weekend and he's close to joining you in beginning his eighth decade. Hope you had a great birthday!

Happy belated birthday!

.308 is a wise choice for an all purpose tool. I picked up a Mossberg MVP Patrol in .308 earlier this year and am very pleased with it.

Happy belated birthday!

.308 is a wise choice for an all purpose tool. I picked up a Mossberg MVP Patrol in .308 earlier this year and am very pleased with it.

That Mossberg MVP is a nice looking piece and the price is decent also. I've probably got about $1300 in this LR308 including all the accessories and mags. Should be real over kill deer hunting with a 25 round mag, hey! Kill'em and make deer burger at the same time! :facepalm

I already had a S&W M/P I built a couple of years ago but .223/5.56 isn't legal to hunt deer with here. That and if I need something to shoot a perp with, the larger caliber will probably do a better job, ie, more likely that only one side of the story will be told! :wink Sometimes bigger is better.

Wow almost on the 4th Page!
I like my 30 caliber in a 7.62x39.
But .308 is excellent too.
I like to be familiar with the enemy's weapons.

Wow almost on the 4th Page!
I like my 30 caliber in a 7.62x39.
But .308 is excellent too.
I like to be familiar with the enemy's weapons.

4th page?? Where? We're just on #2 here?

I had a post ban Romanian built Kalashnikov 7.62x39 a few years back but I finally sold it. In fact, I've got about 200 rounds of that ammo on the shelf. That "post ban" model would only take an inline 10 round magazine. I put the military stock and stuff on it in compliance with BATF rules but that mag issue was one that I couldn't easily resolve so I sold it.

The craze now is an AR15 that's configured with a sub sonic round called a 300AAC blackout, 7.62x35. It's a real heavy sub sonic 30cal using a 220/240gr bullet with a silencer on it. Friend of mine built one and plans to deer hunt with it this fall. He's real curious as to how the deer will react to that muffled sound.

RE: LR308? One of the major down sides of this one is the recoil from that 308 Winchester load. I chronographed mine at 2705FPS using some surplus NATO ammo and it's not something you want to shoot a lot. Bought a box of regular 150gr Winchester 308 soft points for hunting and they chronoed at 2813 and kick even harder.

Ennywho, I guess this is enough gun stuff. Funny, seems I hijacked my own thread! :biggrin

Happy Birthday Lone, you are almost as old as I am...

Say migold, I see you're in Pearisburg, Va? You ought to be able to find DOZENS of old unused dishes there since you're so close to West Va. Years ago BUDs were known as the West Virginia state flower! :oldwink

[QUOTEThe craze now is an AR15 that's configured with a sub sonic round called a 300AAC blackout, 7.62x35. It's a real heavy sub sonic 30cal using a 220/240gr bullet with a silencer on it. Friend of mine built one and plans to deer hunt with it this fall. He's real curious as to how the deer will react to that muffled sound.][/QUOTE]

I have a 220gr 7.62x39 load that I've developed thats pretty sweet. Subsonic and cycles an AK when you put in a lighter spring. The Romanian ones are pretty close to the bottom of the barrel. Chinese have thicker receivers and heavier barrels.

On the mobile, I show 4 pages, on the 'puter, it shows but 2 pages. Great response to a B-Day announcement nonetheless!

Great response to a B-Day announcement nonetheless!

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't have normally said anything but making it to 70 for me was something very special considering my family history. That's also something you can only do that once in a lifetime!

Lone; Yes, there are still some "West Virginia State Flowers" blooming in this area. A lot are getting really old now. They are getting harder to find, but not impossible in this area. I saw a 12 ft Paraclipse in the Covington area last year. Would be nice to have, but I don't have a real need at present, and would take some work to haul it....

Happy Birthday, Lone. At 65 (soon to be 66) I've outlived my father, his brothers, and my grandfathers on both sides. All were heavy smokers, and all died from heart issues. I have a ways to go to outlive my mother's brothers, but I'm optimistic.

Dang! I almost missed this one LG>Many happy returns. Sorry I'm late, I haven't been wading deep enough into the forum pages lately. Hope you had a nice big fat chocolate birthday cake!
Watch out for sasquatch when you're trying out the new rifle, I hear they sometimes take 'em and bend into pretzels, haha.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
---

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)