Two free dishes in Waterloo, IA

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sergei - could you take a picture when you get to Baird (of the dishes, that is).
And maybe another where they are stacked on your truck or trailer.

Glad to hear they're going to a good home! :up

Well, when up today and picked up both dishes and hauled them home. The biggest issue I had was they didn't remove the four arms from the Channel Master and had the dish facing into the ground, which of course bend one one of the arms. Just wasn't sure if I could save it since it's aluminum, but I filled it will wet sand and a little heat and started bending and luck was with me as it came back so it may not be pretty, but it'll work. They also crack the fiberglass on the bottom edge but that should also be easy to repair, may just use some of the wife's CA glue.. Tomorrow I plan on doing a string test on it. Then it's off later this week to get another 10 footer.

Attachments

• img137.jpg
    img137.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 123
  • img138.jpg
    img138.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 115
Somebody else on the forum had a bent (mangled) arm on his dish.
Forget who that was. Pictures looked terrible.
I think he got it back into shape.

Dee Ann had a Primestar Ku dish with a missing side arm.
She took a similar piece of tubing from a lawn chair, and bent it to match the other side; that did okay.
I'm sure you'll manage.

As for the wrinkled edge, I hear JB Weld will get the job done.
I recommended it to someone recently, and they showed pictures of their work.
Looks like they did a heck of a fine job! - :up

If you don't like the looks after the repairs, painting those dishes is documented very well on the forum.
I'll get you links if needed, but off hand I recall a recent job by Stogie5150, and several years back a fine effort by McGuyver.

That is one sweet Channel Master! You're a lucky guy, Sergei!

All it's going to need now is a good bath and it will make a good addition to the farm and it was worth the drive up there. Now the smaller dish that I also got will need more work and a paint job as the support arms are heavily rusted, but for now I'll just remove the arms and store the dish in the barn. On highway 218 I spotted 2 dishes and one looked like a solid aluminum dish, didn't stop but it's on my list.to check out this summer.

Much to my dismay the smaller dish was destroyed when we where hit with 130+ MPH straight line winds last month that lasts 15-20 minutes, it picked the small dish and put it into a light pole, moved the channel master some 20 feet but that was all was saved by a building.. House roof will have to be redone and at least one building will need to be replaced, bend my Rohn TV tower and destroyed my VHF antenna and rotor. Been waiting on the insurance company adjuster and this happened on the 11th of July, lots of damage in the area.

Wow, that's some wind!
Hope you get your dishes back to operating condition without too much more drama.
Or do we need to find you a spare BUD every year...? - ;)

Wow, that's some wind!
Hope you get your dishes back to operating condition without too much more drama.
Or do we need to find you a spare BUD every year...? - ;)

The only damage that I've found is the actuator on my 10 footer which has problems moving now, the other dishes appeared to have been protected from the wind by the building, but the building has damage. The wind either snapped the trees off at around 20-30 feet or pushed them right out of the ground.Had a 24 inch walnut break off and rip out the electric feed to our shop building. Had to run on my home generator for just over 18 hours before the electric was finally restored.We've had strong winds before in the 80-90 MPH range but not for so long, the storm was growing in strength has it moved across the three other counties before in got here in my area and the last report that I heard was 138 and it started out at around 75MPH. Now I know how people in hurricanes feel.

The only damage that I've found is the actuator on my 10 footer which has problems moving now, the other dishes appeared to have been protected from the wind by the building, but the building has damage. The wind either snapped the trees off at around 20-30 feet or pushed them right out of the ground.Had a 24 inch walnut break off and rip out the electric feed to our shop building. Had to run on my home generator for just over 18 hours before the electric was finally restored.We've had strong winds before in the 80-90 MPH range but not for so long, the storm was growing in strength has it moved across the three other counties before in got here in my area and the last report that I heard was 138 and it started out at around 75MPH. Now I know how people in hurricanes feel.

That was a ton of damage you got down there. We rode to anamosa the weekend after it happened...and now that I look at your profile pic we rode by your house too! You got lucky with all the dishes still standing!

I've added the Channel Master dish to my line up as I finally got around and planted the pole the other day and also installed the mount on the pole so today I install the dish onto the mount and tomorrow I'll finish installing the arms.

Attachments

• img176.jpg
    img176.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 90
  • img178.jpg
    img178.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 102
  • img179.jpg
    img179.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 92
  • img180.jpg
    img180.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 97
That's what I call creative use of a tractor :D ...

Without the tractor there would be no way I could have installed any of the dishes by myself, especially the 8 and 10 foot when going on 6 foot poles. Even with this pole being shorter and trying to install the mount let alone the dish itself would have been be impossible.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)