Two inputs for DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigearn

Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Is there anyway to get around the two wire inputs for a Directv dvr with dual tuner, I had a new house built and forgot to have two lines put in for the tuner. can i make one wire carry two signals or am i just SOL. Thanks for any inputs in advance.

Is there anyway to get around the two wire inputs for a Directv dvr with dual tuner, I had a new house built and forgot to have two lines put in for the tuner. can i make one wire carry two signals or am i just SOL. Thanks for any inputs in advance.

:welcome

No way yet. 2 lines if you want to use the dual tuner function.

does it have to be two separate from the block or can one line be split from the wall??

You need 2 wires. Directv is still testing a multiswitch called Single Wire Multiswitch SWM which will allow you to do 1 wire with HR20. Release date is unknown but should be this Fall.

thanks for your help. its my own fault, I forgot the have the electrician install two wires at my tv stand

thanks for your help. its my own fault, I forgot the have the electrician install two wires at my tv stand

bigearn,
You don't have an option just yet, other than running a second line or having it run, if it's possible.
But, as Brewer mentioned, there will be another option I would imagine by the end of the year, the SWM is currently being tested by D* as well as some here in the board, so it IS a real option IF you can hold on till it becomes available.

Jimbo

how do I become one of these "testers". Is this something that I can get at Radio Shack?

Just hook up as a single tuner for now until the SWM becomes available.. It will work that way on one wire.. Sorry best option I know unless you can figure out how to get another wire where you need it

Revisiting this one. Has D* come up with a solution to the dual inputs thru one wire yet???

Revisiting this one. Has D* come up with a solution to the dual inputs thru one wire yet???

Yes, they do have a solution and you can get it if you're willing to pay for it. It's called a SWM8 and SolidSignal has it and Dave29 over at i can get swm8's - DBSTalk.Com will sell them for $275 and that includes shipping. D* will not install a SWM8 in homes, they're using them only for multi unit apartments. There is supposed to be a new version of a Slimline dish coming out 'sometime' that has a SWM built in.

well it may be worth it, right now im paying for a dvr i cant use to full potential and would like to upgrade to HD dvr with VOD. THanks for the quick response.

well it may be worth it, right now im paying for a dvr i cant use to full potential and would like to upgrade to HD dvr with VOD. THanks for the quick response.
NP, I ordered one from Dave29 and it worked out great, very fast shipment and he also has splitters if you need them. If you haven't you might want to research exactly how the SWM8 works and with what receivers so you don't get any surprises.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts