Two LNB "Output" from a single horn KVH TracVision Dome?

LW422

Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
USA
We have recently installed Dish for RV in our motorhome. We have a KVH TracVision R4SL dome antenna that has 2 LNB "output" capability with a single "horn". I believe this means that we can have two receivers on the antenna, but they must both be using the same SATELLITE for programming...??

Can someone verify that I my understanding is correct? If so, how would we know which satellite the channels are coming from? I see no indication of the satellite on the Dish on-screen program guide. I'm still not sure whether a second receiver would be worth the $$ or if we should just stick with a single output. Thanks.

You have a pretty good grasp of the situation.

The satellite for a program if found on the second Info page.

Thanks very much for your response. Would you think that a second receiver would be worth the $$?

Also, MENU - 6 - 1 - 1 will tune you in to the sat/TP of whatever channel you're currently on.

We full-time and a second TV with its own tuning capability is a marriage saver.

When we had a Winegard AS-2003 automatic roof dish (similar to a dome), I routed both coaxes to the entertainment center and connected them to a VIP622 and ran TV 2 output to the bedroom TV. We usually used a ground tripod with a DPP 1000 dish.for any satellite at a time. The AS-2003 lost if usefulness when Dish put more satellites into the sky and the hard coded controller couldn't figure out what to do.

After a few years we replaced the AS-2003 with a Winegard Trav'ler. Because the DPP head on the Trav'ler, I could use one coax to a VIP722K with a separator and the other coax to a VIP612 in the bedroom.

Now we have a Hopper with a Joey.

We still carry a tripod dish for the times the trees get in the way, about 4 times a year,

To the question of is second received worth the money? Not a question of money, it is a question of life style. Depending how much time you spend in your RV or if you and your spouse always want to watch the same time will be factors. Those same issues can quickly make a dome dish a pain. There is a rule that is two people want to watch something different, you can guarantee that the two shows will be on different satellites.

The only advantage to a dome is the ability to receive satellite signals while moving. Since watching TV is illegal while driving, that make Dish satellite music the use of a dome and XMRadio or Sirius do a better job. A dome get less signal and is more prone to rain washout, to go along with the single LNBF.

A roof mounted open face dish (Trav'ler) can only be used when sationary but receives all three satellites at the same time, with better signal.

Now if you only use the motorhome for weekends, then your are more camaping then living in your RV and the single receiver might be enough.

Also, MENU - 6 - 1 - 1 will tune you in to the sat/TP of whatever channel you're currently on.
Thanks for the info!

We full-time and a second TV with its own tuning capability is a marriage saver.

When we had a Winegard AS-2003 automatic roof dish (similar to a dome), I routed both coaxes to the entertainment center and connected them to a VIP622 and ran TV 2 output to the bedroom TV. We usually used a ground tripod with a DPP 1000 dish.for any satellite at a time. The AS-2003 lost if usefulness when Dish put more satellites into the sky and the hard coded controller couldn't figure out what to do.

After a few years we replaced the AS-2003 with a Winegard Trav'ler. Because the DPP head on the Trav'ler, I could use one coax to a VIP722K with a separator and the other coax to a VIP612 in the bedroom.

Now we have a Hopper with a Joey.

We still carry a tripod dish for the times the trees get in the way, about 4 times a year,

To the question of is second received worth the money? Not a question of money, it is a question of life style. Depending how much time you spend in your RV or if you and your spouse always want to watch the same time will be factors. Those same issues can quickly make a dome dish a pain. There is a rule that is two people want to watch something different, you can guarantee that the two shows will be on different satellites.

The only advantage to a dome is the ability to receive satellite signals while moving. Since watching TV is illegal while driving, that make Dish satellite music the use of a dome and XMRadio or Sirius do a better job. A dome get less signal and is more prone to rain washout, to go along with the single LNBF.

A roof mounted open face dish (Trav'ler) can only be used when sationary but receives all three satellites at the same time, with better signal.

Now if you only use the motorhome for weekends, then your are more camaping then living in your RV and the single receiver might be enough.

We are "vacation" RVers; still working and only get to travel a few weeks a year. That's why we chose the Dish RV plan that is pay-as-you-go and no contract. Our motorhome came with the TracVision dome (not in-motion) already installed from the factory, so we are using it instead of buying more equipment. Thanks for your feedback. I guess for the time being we will go with a single receiver and use the bedroom TV on campground cable or OTA with the batwing.

Tape Delay games?

Why no record leaving pause?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)